Portable generator

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Looking for new carbon monoxide and smoke detector for my trawler what do you guys think of this one

2-in-1 DAB-TEK Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Detector (3 Long-Life Batteries Included). Smoke Detector Carbon Monoxide Detector Combo with LED Indicator, Test & Silence Button

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230507_082539_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20230507_082539_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 23
For additional sensor a combo unit would be OK with me...if it meets all the usual standards like UL, etc. I do like it has a digital CO indicator (many don't/didn't).

For where I slept, I preferred singular sensors of highest testing standards I could find and the CO detector had a digital readout so I could see the actual CO levels.

I know the standard sensor records so low that they are probably OK, for the price difference and piece of mind I went that direction.

I need a bit of education here please. I've long been under the impression that a portable generator was a big no-no on a boat per ABYC due to the lack of a neutral/ground connection. I know people do it all the time I'm just wondering how they do it safely.

Is there something you do on the generator that makes it safe?

Is it a non issue if you are sure your boat is wired correctly?

Is it just a roll of the dice that it won't cause an issue or a leaking current problem?

Something else???

I'm not trying to be a "Richard" here...I really don't know if this is just another boating legend I've been told.

Thanks mucho!
The neutral-ground connection is easy to fix. There's an adapter available or you can make your own. It's just a three wire plug with the green and white terminals connected together and nothing else. Plug that into one of the outlets, use the other outlet for your output and you're all set.

For additional sensor a combo unit would be OK with me...if it meets all the usual standards like UL, etc. I do like it has a digital CO indicator (many don't/didn't).

For where I slept, I preferred singular sensors of highest testing standards I could find and the CO detector had a digital readout so I could see the actual CO levels.

I know the standard sensor records so low that they are probably OK, for the price difference and piece of mind I went that direction.
ty

Actually I should have written my last sentence differently...

I meant to say I went with the separate sensors, the CO being as top of the line as I thought prudent.

Yamahas are made in China and not the quality of the Japanese built Hondas

Yamahas are made in China and not the quality of the Japanese built Hondas

I'll just leave this here

Honda Generator Frequently Asked Questions

26 Jan 2023 — As Honda is a global company, their range of generator models are made in Japan, Thailand, USA, China and India.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom