Old 10-25-2019, 10:24 AM   #81
Guru

City: AICW
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
I believe insurance companies that don't specifically address it as an exclusion will cover it...they cover so many other things. So again if anyone is worried.... all they have to do is pick up a phone.

I would think by now if it were an issue...it would be an excluded item in my policy.

As to covering safety tips, how to plug something in...etc...I have said some and so did my link... read closely.

AND....it doesn't matter, it's up to the person thinking of using one to figure out how they will safely...I just don't buy into the "they are unsafe" or "never belong on a boat" mass hysteria designed to protect people that can't or won't think safety comes in colors, not black and white.

psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 10:33 AM   #82
Guru

City: Northport
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
I believe insurance companies that don't specifically address it as an exclusion will cover it...they cover so many other things. So again if anyone is worried.... all they have to do is pick up a phone.

I would think by now if it were an issue...it would be an excluded item in my policy.

As to covering safety tips, how to plug something in...etc...I have said some and so did my link... read closely.

AND....it doesn't matter, it's up to the person thinking of using one to figure out how they will safely...I just don't buy into the "they are unsafe" or "never belong on a boat" mass hysteria designed to protect people that can't or won't think safety comes in colors, not black and white.
"As to covering safety tips, how to plug something in...etc...I have said some and so did my link... read closely."

Yes you did - here is your post....

My 1000W Honda (now 22 years old with no significant maintenance) runs my ProMariner 50A charger most of the time..every once and awhile if the gas is bad, etc...I can reprogram the charger to 75% output and all is well.

My charger has a regular 110V plug so instead of plugging in my shore power and living with the dangers of a portable genset plugged in there...I just run an extension cord to my charger.

While CO is a danger, I only run the genset while awake and onboard in an area where fumes go overboard and downwind.

smitty477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 10:52 AM   #83
Guru

City: Melbourne, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
A URL for the aftermarket shut off valve to the Honda please?
Hindsight is 2020...
Here is one link on how to do it...
Honda EU2000i Generator Fuel Shut-Off (The Easy Way!) | RVB Precision

When looking this up, I found that as of Feb 2018, Honda generators have a fuel cutoff valve already installed...
https://www.facebook.com/HondaPowerE...5953207878592/
stubones99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 11:26 AM   #84
Guru

Notice his tip is to solder any wires exposed to excessive vibration?
Old 10-25-2019, 12:50 PM   #85
Guru

City: Duvall, Wa
Vessel Name: Beach Music II
Vessel Model: 2003 Mainship 430 Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigatoo View Post
I would be very careful with a portable generator. I like Sneeds method. Direct connection from the appliance to the generator. Bypass the boat altogether. Also be careful with CO. CO can sneak up on you if you are not paying attention.
I only considered this for an emergency situation, such as being on anchor in a remote location and my onboard genset died. Unfortunately my battery charger is hard wired, so am unable to plug in directly. I'm a retired car technician and very aware of CO poisoning. There is a CO monitor in every cabin of our boat and I replaced them all not long ago. This has been an informative topic. I do need to add the fuel shut-off. Thanks all.
porman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 12:57 PM   #86
Guru

City: Pitcairn Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
The trick is not to hook it up to the whole boat or use it like a marine genset.

There's tons of info out there...

I just plug a battery charger or single appliance at a time into mine...low chance of shock or stray current.

Been doing it on 2 boats for nearly 20 years with no ill effects.
I'd like to also get behind psneeld's comment. I have a Honda clone generator, a Champion 1400 that I only use fully attended up on deck aft and as I'm usually on the hook or a mooring the breeze carries the exhaust away quickly. I only use it for battery charging and an occasional power tool so I plug in directly. By the way my Champion has proven to be a fine little generator and cost under $400.00.
Fish53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 01:44 PM   #87
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
My insurance contract does not mention any exclusion about using a portable generator, there is an exclusion if I transport nuclear weapons or radioactive material though.

L
Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 01:46 PM   #88
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 400 Mainship
Quote:
Originally Posted by schrater View Post
I want to buy a small portable generator (for top side) that I can plug my shore power cable into for recharging my house batteries without having to run the big diesel. Basically Iím trying to figure out the minimum wattage output necessary for this.

I assume the most relevant info is I have a Xantrex Trucharge 40+. What factors do I need to look for?

First, I can say the Honda EU2000 is bullet proof, not that there aren't good competitors also. I used it to power my 27 ft Sundancer years ago. It would run the 9K AC unit or the grill, plus all the lighting, radio, etc. I put it on the swim platform and worked well for years. BUT, it was a PITA. Need calm water, would't last thru the nite so had to fill it, and it had it's element of risk. Not for me any more.

Question: Why don't you look at solar? You may not get the wattage to run all of your stuff all the time, but sounds like you don't have high electrical requirements. If you're all gas for the galley, seems like all you'd need is for a few lights, computer, TV and that's about it?

If you need to run your micro for a short time, would be a non issue just running down the batteries for a bit.

Now if you need a LOT of wattage, you could spend more than the Honda, but once installed, pretty trouble free, no fuel and it's always on.

I take it AC is not an issue (but hard to run without a good sized gen.
Old 10-25-2019, 02:00 PM   #89

City: Pine Island, Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike View Post
I need a bit of education here please. I've long been under the impression that a portable generator was a big no-no on a boat per ABYC due to the lack of a neutral/ground connection. I know people do it all the time I'm just wondering how they do it safely.

Is there something you do on the generator that makes it safe?

Is it a non issue if you are sure your boat is wired correctly?

Is it just a roll of the dice that it won't cause an issue or a leaking current problem?

Something else???

I'm not trying to be a "Richard" here...I really don't know if this is just another boating legend I've been told.

Thanks mucho!
YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY RIGHT NEIGHBOR (I'M KIKO FROM PINE ISLAND) AND ABYC DOES MAINTAin that the portable is not acceptable. I am a marine engineer, 56 years with ABYC, led the Tiger Team of the USCG investigating accidents and can tell you that an extremely large percentage of accidents occur due to operator negligence. sailalfin@gmail.com
sailalfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 02:04 PM   #90

City: New Bedford
Before you add a portable Generator please think of all those peaceful place we can all go with our vessels. One boat with a Gas Generator sitting on the swim platform so the boat owner's (who usually have gone off in their dinghy), can barely hear it.

If you have a Diesel Genset onboard use it, don't spoil an anchorage for everyone else. You won't make friends with those you are sharing the anchorage with. They are loud and even louder when on a swim platform.

Let's keep our nice quiet anchorages quiet... Go Solar and get a Simarine battery monitor... best new gizmo we have added to our GB-42. I know exactly what the Panels are putting in and exactly what the fridge and Freezer are taking out, plus a whole lot more info, a great tool.
Sea Fever WNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 03:23 PM   #91
Guru

Accidents due to operator negligence...hmmmm

Doesn't that speak to most accidents ...cars, planes, boats, homes....?

Guess they are all too unsafe to use
Old 10-25-2019, 03:33 PM   #92
Veteran Member

City: Saint George Island, FL
Vessel Name: TRIBE OF G
Vessel Model: ACADIA 32
Generator

I have one of these, Super quiet half the price of a Honda and every bit as reliable. I have been running it for 3 years now. Three weeks non-stop during aftermath of Hurricane Michael.

https://www.harborfreight.com/engine...tor-62523.html

Mine has a 30 amp outlet that will accept my 30 amp power cord on the boat.
Gypsyjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 04:42 PM   #93
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
That Harbor Freight looks A LOT like the Honda!!!
Old 10-25-2019, 05:17 PM   #94

City: Spartanburg, SC
Vessel Name: Big Duck
Vessel Model: '72 Land-N-Sea
I like the remote start/stop generators. I have a Honda 3000i and a Champion 3100 inverter.

I run the 3000i on my boat. https://72land-n-sea.blogspot.com/2012/10/3000i.html

I like the CO detectors that have a readout. https://www.amazon.com/Kidde-Battery...2041255&sr=8-6

With what I know now, I'd put a Champion on the roof of my boat, like the one I put on the back of my camper.
https://72land-n-sea.blogspot.com/20...generator.html
https://www.amazon.com/Champion-3100...2041403&sr=8-8

I use one of these with the 3000i on the boat to switch from shore to generator power.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
jeffnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 08:43 AM   #95

City: Green Cove Springs
Vessel Name: Sovereignty
Vessel Model: Kadey-Krogen Manatee
I use a Northern Tool generator. It has a 30 amp. Plug and has worked flawlessly for five years of intermittent operation.
captaindah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 05:57 PM   #96

City: East Greenwich
I was on a mooring one time in Block Island, RI with a guy behind me who put one of these things on his bow pulpit, so now its 15 feet away from me while I'm sitting in my cockpit and its 40 feet away from him while he's sitting in his cockpit.

It was the marine equivalent of being water boarded.

There are not many things worse than being in a beautiful cove, anchored or moored and waking up to the sound of this type of generator.

I apologize for the forward nature of my post, but before you fire one of these things up, consider those around you; they are never "super quiet".

The solar products available now are very impressive, that and an inverter will give you more power than you need.

just my 2 cents.
Old 10-26-2019, 06:56 PM   #97
Guru

City: Whitby, Ontario
Vessel Name: DIRT FREE
Vessel Model: Benford Fantail 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailalfin View Post
YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY RIGHT NEIGHBOR (I'M KIKO FROM PINE ISLAND) AND ABYC DOES MAINTAin that the portable is not acceptable.
I too have several ABYC Certifications and have never seen any such statement from ABYC. Please provide a link or a Standard number.
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 07:12 PM   #98

City: Lake Stevens, WA via Honolulu
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Vessel Model: C-Dory 25
Quote:
The solar products available now are very impressive, that and an inverter will give you more power than you need.
Except hot water via water heater.

We have a Honda 2000i and use it to power our water heater. That unit is bullet-proof and always starts, even after sitting for months. I simply made a 6' shore power cord. Yes, I put it in the splash well, exhaust facing out, and run it for 20 minutes. Done. Enough hot water for two of us. We don't run it in the evening when people are enjoying their sundowners or at night. We will run it during the day, however and the water stays plenty hot for our needs.

Conversely, I will run it while we are running from anchorage to anchorage. We are moving, the cabin door is closed and we have a CO detector that has never activated when we do this.

Of course, our situation is vastly different than most of you. We don't have the luxury of a huge diesel gen-set, hidden down in an engine room the size of a cave.

We also have solar that maintains our house and allows us to run/use the refer, but anything beyond that is wishful thinking, especially in northern latitudes.
localboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 07:34 PM   #99
Guru

As I have posted before...those that usually protest the loudest have the least amount of experience with these gensets.

They have a few bad experiences...but that is by no means expertise.
Old 10-26-2019, 07:51 PM   #100
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanair View Post
I was on a mooring one time in Block Island, RI with a guy behind me who put one of these things on his bow pulpit, so now its 15 feet away from me while I'm sitting in my cockpit and its 40 feet away from him while he's sitting in his cockpit.

It was the marine equivalent of being water boarded.

There are not many things worse than being in a beautiful cove, anchored or moored and waking up to the sound of this type of generator.

I apologize for the forward nature of my post, but before you fire one of these things up, consider those around you; they are never "super quiet".

just my 2 cents.
I tested mine while running, at 30 feet you barely hear a putput, at 90 feet you hear nothing. I won't anchor anywhere I would be closer than 90 feet from another boat.

L

Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote