Old 10-23-2019, 10:28 AM   #41

City: Va Beach
Vessel Name: SeaShell
Vessel Model: 1974 Marine Trader 34 Sedan
I have owned a Yamaha 2000 and it was great. Zero complaints. I now own a Westinghouse 2200 with zero complaints. More power, just as quiet, 1/2 the price, and still going strong after over 2 years of use. Worth looking at.

SeaBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 11:08 AM   #42
Guru

City: Coupeville Wa.
Vessel Name: Pelorus
Vessel Model: Californian 42 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Yes it is fearmongering.....

CO detectors are a better indicator than someones sketches.....if they don't register anything...why would I believe someones sketches?

Take the basic precautions and...like thousands or more of us that are alive and smiling......

This isn't rocket science...pay attention, take reasonable safeguards and enjoy life.

Is life always guaranteed? I know of more people that have died in ther sleep than silly accidents from stoves, gensets, bad water heaters, etc...etc....

I'm not asking you or anyone to "believe someone's sketches". I'm asking you and all reading my post to envision the air flow around a cross section of a mast or wing and how that relates to the top view of the hull and deck of a typical boat. To envision how it is possible for air or gases as the stern to move aboard and forward. This is based on real life experience with the exhaust from the vessel's own engines, portable gear run at the stern and outboards tied at the stern with engines running while at anchor with light winds blowing the exhaust gasses can enter the living spaces. It can and does happen.

I did not say do not run a portable genny at the stern. I did ask all to take care that their CO detectors are good working order and not assume all well be OK because the genny is on the swim step.
As you said, reasonable precautions. Hardly fearmongering.

Portage_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 11:25 AM   #43
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
Portage Bay, you’re talking about what is called the station wagon effect. It is something to consider when running a generator.
Old 10-23-2019, 11:43 AM   #44
Guru

City: Northport
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
Portage Bay, you’re talking about what is called the station wagon effect. It is something to consider when running a generator.
Agreed - I would also consider the affects of genset grounding and potential shock hazards and ask my insurance company how it may or may not affect my coverages.
smitty477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 11:49 AM   #45
Guru

City: AICW
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
So many possibilities...and yes time has proven a few fatal cases out odf all of the obvious ones that are definitely freak accidents....then again there are many more boating deaths due to other reasons than "freak" CO poisoning deaths that are easily preventable too if you stay ashore.

Yes fearmongering and an assumption others don't ink before they act are rampant arguments on TF.

Real life to me is my own personal use and even with boat swings and wind shifts, etc....the amount of CO that enters the cabin in several hours of use of one of these small gensets isn't even measurable by my CO detectors.....

...also...long before I brought one aboard...I tested gensets and detectors at home in the driveway...trying hard to get to measurable levels in different situations. You almost have to try...like putting a detector within feet of the exhaust to get it to sound.

Sure these threads may save one in a hundred fools...great...I have also posted that's why they might be necessary. But I have also posted that actual or particular info is better than "maybe you'll die" because the shape of your boat or because it's one in a billion chance the moment you turn your back you might get a wiff of CO....and again like I posted and Ski seconded..don't do it while anyone is asleep and your chances of survival (if you have a brain) soar.

Yep beating it to death IS fearmongering. Posting help, not theory without the "threat" of being unsafe is so refreshing.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 12:07 PM   #46
Guru

City: Bethesda, MD
Vessel Name: Solstice
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 47 Eastbay FB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
Thanks for the reminder.
When replacing CO/fire sensors, shop around. I found some replacements with a black plastic housing instead of the white. Looks nicer on the bulkhead. RV units are the same.
Old 10-23-2019, 02:41 PM   #47
Guru

City: Mississippi
Vessel Name: ADAGIO
Vessel Model: CHB Present 42 Sundeck
Recently replaced our 30 yr old Westerbeke 12.5K with a 2017 Kohler 9k in a sound box, and complete new exhaust hose - cannot hear it over the A/c or heater blowers inside. Very pleased so far. And can't be heard outside from 50 yds away. Got a lot of use this past hot summer as we were running the TennTom and TN River - ran it all day every day for ac inside, and all night when anchoring out - great machine. And I've installed First Alert CO/smoke detectors in both cabins, saloon, ER and one on flybridge - all linked wirelessly so if one goes off, they all go off. Not much CO from diesels, but enough to watch out for.
FoxtrotCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 03:28 PM   #48
Guru

City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
and why I guess these discussions are necessary...I usually try and head for the overall truths...not the selective ones such as "portable gensets have no place on a boat" and other such statements that some make.

there are lots of dangerous things on a boat or dangerous activities if done poorly.

if every thread degraded into the what if to extremes...like never buy a boat witha flying bridge because some guest may decide to dive off of it in sallow water and break their necks..... the forum would become tedious.

I am all for pointing out the dangers of anything on a boat or tips for safer operation...but the constant fearmongering about so many things is astounding.
Your comment on the constant fear-mongering. Yes, I am guilty and I agree that there is far too much of it well-meaning as it might be. I will refrain in the future. Far too many "yeah-buts".
catalinajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 03:54 PM   #49
Guru

FWIW - one small harbor we boat out of ...Northport NY.
Two occurrences of Co poisoning causing deaths of 3 people in the past 3 seasons.
More if you consider the 'near misses' where folks were not killed.
Old 10-23-2019, 05:28 PM   #50
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
And what is the difference with running your onboard diesel genset? Except if I missed something any gas/diesel engine generate exhaust gases right?

L
Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 06:22 PM   #51
Guru

City: Qualicum Beach, Vancouver Island
Vessel Name: Capricorn
Vessel Model: Mariner 29 - Express Cruiser 1969
Kipor is a very large brand in Europe and Asia. It's an interesting brand as many think it is a Honda. All Honda parts fit and it's made in the same factory as the Hondas. Here in Canada, one dealer who was carrying them stopped selling them due to huge pressure from Honda to not offer them to customers.

They have all the same attributes of a Honda except the price. They may be scarce in your area but check them out.

https://www.portablegeneratorsrated....rator-reviews/
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 07:06 PM   #52
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsn48 View Post
Kipor is a very large brand in Europe and Asia. It's an interesting brand as many think it is a Honda. All Honda parts fit and it's made in the same factory as the Hondas. Here in Canada, one dealer who was carrying them stopped selling them due to huge pressure from Honda to not offer them to customers.

They have all the same attributes of a Honda except the price. They may be scarce in your area but check them out.

https://www.portablegeneratorsrated....rator-reviews/
Kipor were available here at the popular big hardware chain "Bunnings" but a search today shows only other brands. https://www.bunnings.com.au/our-rang...ators/inverter,
The De Walt, B&S, and Ryobi look interesting. "Full Boar" brand (name looks based on "full bore", meaning here "flat out/full power/WOT" sounds like it hails from the "big tariff country", though the others, esp Ryobi, may be made there too.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 07:18 PM   #53
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
I've made a concerted effort to avoid a generator, either diesel or gas-powered. Want to avoid crowding the engine compartment, maintenance of another engine, or carrying gasoline. If needing additional electrical source, I'd first consider solar power mounted on the pilothouse roof as done on Coot #7 since the galley is non-electric.
Old 10-23-2019, 08:27 PM   #54
Veteran Member

City: Falmouth MA
Vessel Name: Serena
Vessel Model: Pilgrim 40
Maybe I missed it, but note a couple of references to First Alert wirelessly interconnected CO/smoke detectors. Can someone post specific model number and/or other info on them?
Thanks -
Joe
CapeWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 09:27 PM   #55

City: Owings, Md
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou_tribal View Post
And what is the difference with running your onboard diesel genset? Except if I missed something any gas/diesel engine generate exhaust gases right?

L
Diesel engines produce a lower concentration of CO than gas motors.
Gdavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 07:28 AM   #56
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou_tribal View Post

L
The events above were with portable gas gensets.
Along with the issues of grounding them for safety and electrolysis.
And the potential issue with insurance - our would not consider covering a portable genset in a marine application.
YMMV
Old 10-24-2019, 07:35 AM   #57
Guru

City: North Carolina
Vessel Name: SCOUT
Vessel Model: Great Harbour N37
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapeWhaler View Post
Maybe I missed it, but note a couple of references to First Alert wirelessly interconnected CO/smoke detectors. Can someone post specific model number and/or other info on them?
Thanks -
Joe
We use 5 of these on our boat - Model Number SCO500.

https://www.amazon.com/First-Alert-S.../dp/B00F4AOMDM

You won't miss them if one goes off, that's for sure!!
m/v SCOUT Projects Page
boathealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 09:34 AM   #58
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty477 View Post
The events above were with portable gas gensets.
Along with the issues of grounding them for safety and electrolysis.
And the potential issue with insurance - our would not consider covering a portable genset in a marine application.
YMMV
Depends, depends, depends.....on how they are hooked up and used.

Gross generalization fearmongering yet again......especially the insurance point of it is not addressed in your policy.

Yet typical TF.
Old 10-24-2019, 11:43 AM   #59
Guru

Quote:
Depends, depends, depends.....on how they are hooked up and used.

Gross generalization fearmongering yet again......especially the insurance point of it is not addressed in your policy.

Yet typical TF.
I don't understand - how you ground the unit makes a big difference as we have seen.
Whether you insurance is affected is also large.
Old 10-24-2019, 03:04 PM   #60
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty477 View Post
I don't understand - how you ground the unit makes a big difference as we have seen.
Whether you insurance is affected is also large.
Depends, depends, depends....read more.... in bth those cases.