Old 10-21-2019, 09:08 PM   #21
Guru

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
There are a lot of reasons not to use a portable gas genset aboard a boat, that is one of them. However, lots of people want to overlook the problems because it is easier, maybe cheaper, etc. doesnít make it right or safe. If you have a built in marine genset, then use it before a portable one. A lot of big boats have 2 gensets, one large one to run all the onboard equipment and a small one to run selected equipment.

Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 10:45 PM   #22
Veteran Member

City: Vancouver, WA
Vessel Name: Matilda
Vessel Model: Ponderosa (CHB) 35' Sundeck
Thanks for all the feedback here. I donít have a genset, nor do I have the space or funds to get one, so Iím viewing an on-deck portable gas generator as my only realistic option for getting power during longer stretches on the hook.

I definitely get the importance of a quiet unit, and that seems to be a major factor on most of the ones Iíve seen. And it still seems to me that a small and quiet generator would be preferable to me running my main engine at idle for a few hours (not to mention better for my engine life).

The Honda 2200 seems by far the most popular choice. But at $1000, I notice there are several other brands with virtually identical features at only half the price. Other than perhaps long-term reliability, are there any other ďsneaky statsĒ to watch out for in the cheaper models?

schrater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 10:57 PM   #23
Guru

City: Trenton
Everything I've ever bought from Honda just works. Everything else not so much. Honda sweats the details and that's why they cost more. One boat unit can vanish so fast with nothing to show for it. At least you'll have a nice generator for your boat and home.
alormaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 12:04 AM   #24
Guru

Even if you had a diesel genset(which you don`t), I could see reasons for longer cruises to carry a back up gas genset, I`m sure some TFers do. Just do it safely for, exhaust, weather, connections, gas storage, etc.
I`ve had a 2000W no name gas generator on a previous boat, it was noisy, hard to start, not a big success. Safer to stick with Honda,but there are other known brands like Yamaha,so do some research. There was/is a Kipor brand sold here, maybe there, which was such a faithful copy of Honda at one time few stores would stock it, could be worth a look.
BruceK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 05:51 AM   #25
Guru

City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
On deck? Do you really mean to run a gas generator on deck? Where might all that carbon monoxide go? There are many threads that document the dangers of the use a portable gas generator other than the CO2 issue but discounting all of those, and many do, the CO2 dangers are real and documented. Some folks will run them on their swim platform but even that is dangerous. With just the right wind conditions the CO2 will find its way into the boat. But, on deck the chances of that happening are greatly increased it seems to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by schrater View Post
Thanks for all the feedback here. I donít have a genset, nor do I have the space or funds to get one, so Iím viewing an on-deck portable gas generator as my only realistic option for getting power during longer stretches on the hook.

I definitely get the importance of a quiet unit, and that seems to be a major factor on most of the ones Iíve seen. And it still seems to me that a small and quiet generator would be preferable to me running my main engine at idle for a few hours (not to mention better for my engine life).

The Honda 2200 seems by far the most popular choice. But at $1000, I notice there are several other brands with virtually identical features at only half the price. Other than perhaps long-term reliability, are there any other ďsneaky statsĒ to watch out for in the cheaper models?
catalinajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 06:07 AM   #26
FF
Guru

One simple way to not worry about a gas genset exhaust is to place it in the dink and leave it astern .

No noise, no vibration no smell, but if left all night , maybe no genset.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 07:19 AM   #27
Guru

City: AICW
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
I run it on the flybridge (best for all around noise abatement except in our own salon), or a side deck away from the other boats (making it virtually noiseless more than 50 feet away on the opposite side).

I have 3 carbon monoxide detectors aboard and never run it while anyone is asleep.

With no windows, or doors open near it, I have never had a CO detector sound or even register any CO.

The slightest breeze carries it overboard. Even no breeze seems OK but then I put is where the exhaust is going right overboard.

I guess if you are totally clueless you could kill someone using one of these gensets...but in my experience, one used just to charge batteries or as a backup...plugged directly from the batt charger and handled properly...is no safety threat at all...IF you have a clue.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 08:12 AM   #28
Guru

City: Toms River
Vessel Name: V E N T U R E
Vessel Model: 1996 36' Island Gypsy Classic
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kestrel-Mar.../323939627625? Saw this diesel 12volt genny on ebay--appears near new. If I did not have a 110v generator I would definately consider this for keeping the house bank charged.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 08:25 AM   #29
Guru

City: Upstate,SC
Vessel Name: Dutch Barge Caroliner
Vessel Model: Selway-Fisher 45' Teign Luxe Motor
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP View Post
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kestrel-Mar.../323939627625? Saw this diesel 12volt genny on ebay--appears near new. If I did not have a 110v generator I would definately consider this for keeping the house bank charged.

I have to laugh. You posted this as I was about to ask the forum how they felt about a DC only genset aboard instead of a full blown AC/DC genset.

ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 09:21 AM   #30
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
The new-ish Honda and similar high quality portable gas gennies don't make much CO. Part of the EPA certs. Where you get in trouble with CO is a poorly tuned machine, running sick (rich mixture!!), or one where it is re-ingesting its own exhaust due to a badly ventilated location.

Still need to be safe and use the CO monitors. Second PSN's rule: No sleeping with gas gennie running.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 01:30 PM   #31
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
My boat didn’t have room for a real marine generator. I used a Honda 2000 to run my air conditioner at night. I would set it on my swim platform or stern covering board. This put the generator at least ten feet down wind of any entrance to the cabin. I’m still alive.

That said, if I had a place to put it, I’d have bought a real generator.
Old 10-22-2019, 01:30 PM   #32
Ted
Guru

City: Campbell River
Vessel Name: Okisollo
If the vibrational (word?) noise bothers you put it on a plywood pad with a partially
inflated inner tube under it. Bungie cords can keep it in place.
Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 02:44 PM   #33
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: Alzero
Vessel Model: Hatteras 63' CPMY
Don’t forget Yamaha generators, just as high quality as Honda but with some extra features like built-in start capacitors for getting heavy loads going. I have a 1000 and a 2400 and have zero complaints.
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 03:55 PM   #34
Guru

City: Upstate,SC
Vessel Name: Dutch Barge Caroliner
Vessel Model: Selway-Fisher 45' Teign Luxe Motor
The inverter style generators have been through all kinds of tests and reviews on youtube. I can't say which is the best as everyone uses a genny differently. The main competitors are Predator, Honda, Wen, Yamaha, Tail Gator, Power Horse, Coleman. Some of the youtube videos have good suggestions on setting up the generators for maximum reliability.

ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 03:38 AM   #35
Guru

City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
IF one has a clue. You do. Some don't and that was my concern when I posted about CO2 danger. It has happened and may again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
I run it on the flybridge (best for all around noise abatement except in our own salon), or a side deck away from the other boats (making it virtually noiseless more than 50 feet away on the opposite side).

I have 3 carbon monoxide detectors aboard and never run it while anyone is asleep.

With no windows, or doors open near it, I have never had a CO detector sound or even register any CO.

The slightest breeze carries it overboard. Even no breeze seems OK but then I put is where the exhaust is going right overboard.

I guess if you are totally clueless you could kill someone using one of these gensets...but in my experience, one used just to charge batteries or as a backup...plugged directly from the batt charger and handled properly...is no safety threat at all...IF you have a clue.
catalinajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 07:22 AM   #36
Guru

and why I guess these discussions are necessary...I usually try and head for the overall truths...not the selective ones such as "portable gensets have no place on a boat" and other such statements that some make.

there are lots of dangerous things on a boat or dangerous activities if done poorly.

if every thread degraded into the what if to extremes...like never buy a boat witha flying bridge because some guest may decide to dive off of it in sallow water and break their necks..... the forum would become tedious.

I am all for pointing out the dangers of anything on a boat or tips for safer operation...but the constant fearmongering about so many things is astounding.
Old 10-23-2019, 07:45 AM   #37
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
I only have a portable gas generator aboard. Mine is a yamaha 1350W and works very nicely. It is far enough to power my sterling 60Amp battery charger. When put on eco mode the engine rpm are set according to the load and it is running quietly. I get 4h at full output to 7h in eco mode from one full tank (around 4.5 liter).
When running I put it on the swim platform (attached) and store it on the aft upper deck. I plan to build a permanent support above the swim platform so it can stay there even underway.

For the last 4/5 years I am happy with it and it suit our occasional usage.

L
Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 08:28 AM   #38
Veteran Member

City: Kentucky
I bought (and still have) two Honda EU2000 generators for our travel trailer, prior to getting a Class A motorhome. Hooked up in parallel when needed. Love them, regular maintenance and they're bulletproof. Only thing I added was an hour meter to each, and an extended run fuel system for when needed.

That said, if I were to do it again, I would purchase the Predator 2000 from Harbor Freight. They are built to the Honda design, so much that Honda has sued Harbor Freight! Not sure where that has gone, but whatever. I have several friends who use them extensively at Art Shows, as well as for their RV's and around home. One has almost 700 hours in 2 years. They are comparable to the Honda's in every way except price. Consumer reports rated them almost identical to the Honda's, 2 points lower because they are slightly louder (2db when running full out).

If properly stored, properly operated, fuel properly stored, etc, I don't see why they couldn't be safely used on a boat. It's hard to beat 7+ hours of run time on 0.9 gallons of fuel! As an added plus, they are available for use on the shore for a beach party!
slowgoesit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 10:07 AM   #39
Guru

City: Coupeville Wa.
Vessel Name: Pelorus
Vessel Model: Californian 42 LRC
When running a portable genny on your swim step at anchor consider the air flow around an anchored or stationary boat. If I were a half way decent artist Iíd provide sketches so illustrate the point, but Iím not. Youíll have to suffer with my written description.

Consider the cross sectional shape of a sail boat mast or many airplane wings. Kind of tear drop shaped with the Ďfatí section leading and the Ďthiní section trailing. This creates a nice smooth air flow off the trailing section. Turn the tear drop around with the fat section trailing and now the flow off the trailing section is turbulent and can be at a lower relative air pressure. This can lead to flow back towards the trailing edge. Kayakers and white water runners know this phenomenon, drop into the down river side of a rock and get a back eddy for a bit of a rest.

Ok, Iím getting long winded. How does this apply to running a genny on the swim step? A boat is a very rough tear drop shape hull and deck when viewed from above. Pointy end into the wind, fat end down wind. Under the right conditions air mass at the back can actually move towards the stern and sometimes flow onto the boat and forward.

No, this isnít fear mongering. Itís real life experience and having to figure out why exhaust was entering the living spaces from the stern with a gentle wind blowing on the bow. It doesnít always happen. Some boats tend to suffer from this more than others. So, please, do keep your CO detectors in good working order. Donít assume because itís on the stern all the bad stuff automatically disappears.
Portage_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 10:23 AM   #40
Guru

Yes it is fearmongering.....

CO detectors are a better indicator than someones sketches.....if they don't register anything...why would I believe someones sketches?

Take the basic precautions and...like thousands or more of us that are alive and smiling......

This isn't rocket science...pay attention, take reasonable safeguards and enjoy life.

Is life always guaranteed? I know of more people that have died in ther sleep than silly accidents from stoves, gensets, bad water heaters, etc...etc....