Please help verify my battery diagnostics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How much acid is in the battery box???

If you are trolling for salmon, you'll have better luck at 3.5 to 4 knots. Just say in'.

If you are trolling for salmon, you'll have better luck at 3.5 to 4 knots. Just say in'.

Thread creep and it's about time.....

Really? I was trolling for salmon last weekend between 2-3 knots and figured it was too fast cause we didn't get a nibble. What tackle do you use?

Almost all salmon tackle is based on commercial stuff, flashers, hoochies etc and the commercial guys don't dawdle about. Aim to be faster than the rest of the pack. If your down rigger lines are not back 30 - 45 degrees, you're too slow. I read somewhere that salmon strike at an average of 14 mph. Besides, it's dark down there!
Note: YMMV!!

Thread creep? I'm offended, trolling speed was mentioned in the first post!

I think I'd water the current batteries, charge 'em, and see what happens. They might surprise you with a bit more service while you think about it. If not, it will only cost you some distilled water and a little bit of time.

-Chris

Best advice in this thread, and the easiest advice, and the cheapest! :)

Followups:
  • We go down to the boat at least monthly. Usually every week or so in the summer, less so in the middle of winter.
  • Battery box was dry. Unfortunately, it was as dry as the batteries themselves :blush:
  • We will be down to the boat tomorrow (Thursday), to add water to the batteries. We'll go back down on Saturday to see what happens. I'm not sure how to set the charger to do a low-ampreage charge... :confused:
  • 3-4kts would be a much better combination cruise/fishing speed. I'm going to try that! Think it would work with divers too? I have riggers, but don't know mount them on the caprail.

Make sure the cases are not bulging - that is a sign of severe damage and you are high risk for an internal short causing the battery to explode if you try and charge them.

Back
Top Bottom