Old 05-25-2016, 03:19 PM   #1
Guru

City: Philadelphia, PA
Vessel Name: Revel
Vessel Model: 1984 Fu Hwa 39
Peculiar Receptacles!

Below are pics of the duplex receptacles on our 1984 Fu Hwa. I've never seen anything like 'em. One receptacle is the usual 110v American-style grounded. The other looks like, and fits, two-prong plugs but the voltage supplied is 12v.

And, of course, at the main panel there is a breaker in the 110v section labeled 'Outlet', and a breaker in the 12v section also labeled 'Outlet'.

Really? Anybody else got these things?

The wiring supplying one of these receptacles is surely original. Since all the cabinetwork is single-thickness plywood, there was no way to conceal the wiring.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2470.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	52391   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2471.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	52392  

DHeckrotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 04:06 PM   #2

City: Punta Gorda, Florida
Vessel Name: Salty
Vessel Model: Fu Hwa 34 Europa
We have a 34' 1984 Fu Hwa as well, and yes we have the same electrical setup. Weird but I do remember seeing in my younger years some 12 volt appliances being sold.

John

Capt Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 04:11 PM   #3
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
In 1987, the one on the right, is what Krogen used for 12 volt outlets. This is the last one that hasn't been converted to something else or terminated.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0003[1].jpg
Views:	65
Size:	166.7 KB
ID:	52393  
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 06:07 PM   #4
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
It wouldn't be difficult to convert them to duplex 120 volt receptacles. Just make sure the ground is actually there. Cap off the 12 volt wiring or better yet remove it from the box entirely. You can connect it to a cigarette lighter style outlet or a dual USB outlet and install it nearby.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 06:17 PM   #5

City: Orlando, FL
Vessel Name: Barefoot Key
Vessel Model: Marine trader laBelle 40
1984 marine trawler labelle series, I have the exact same receptacles. I converted one to a duplex 120, like the idea of USB port. Have to look into that.
rmorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 06:26 PM   #6
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ and Englewood, FL
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
ABYC E-11 says...
11.15.1.2. Receptacles and matching plugs used on AC systems shall not be interchangeable with receptacles and matching plugs used on DC systems.

Plugs that fit your DC receptacle will most definitely fit into the higher voltage AC receptacles with spectacular results. Given that, I would remove the DC wiring from the box, Replace the AC receptacle with an AC duplex receptacle, and re-route the DC wiring to its own unique receptacle.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Englewood, FL and Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 06:29 PM   #7
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesK View Post
...You can connect it to a cigarette lighter style outlet or a dual USB outlet and install it nearby.
Old 05-25-2016, 06:53 PM   #8
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
My 1980 Taiwanese C&L 44 has similar outlets. Yes, 12 v plugs fit handily into the 120v side, but the 120v do not fit into the 12v side. Unfortunately, we did hear OOPS! from the admiral when trying to plug in the 12v freezer. In addition to a $300 brain to replace the one that was smoked, I changed out the 12v supply connection to one that is sufficiently different from the 120v that no accidental plugging into the wrong place can occur. You can try the 240 style plugs, so long as you don't also have some 240v stuff aboard. We still have some lamps that are 12 v, so the outlets nearby still get used.
koliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 08:04 PM   #9
Guru

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
Those 2 pin 12V receptacles were a 'standard' Taiwanese approach to wiring. I had double 12V receptacles side by side every double 120V receptacle. The PO had bought plastic inserts to help avoid mishaps, even though both the 120VAC and 12VDC receptacles had engraved plastic labels affixed. He and his family apparently had quite a few mishaps over the years.

So now the 12VDC receptacles are all gone, and in their place are the Australian 230VAC ones, with new wiring back to an additional switch panel that has ELCB protection. Unfortunately they are ugly white plastic instead of teak, but at times I will accept function over aesthetics.

But I am going to check in a couple of spots whether the 12V wiring is still there - I want to fit some USB outlets that have a 12VDC input, and finding some blanked off wiring would be a bonus.
Old 05-26-2016, 06:36 AM   #10
FF
Guru

The simple solution is to replace those 12V units with 240V plugs and sockets.

These are also polarized and will not fit in a 120V or any other socket than a 240v.(USA)

In Home Cheapo at a great price.

Many off grid folks use these instead of cigar plugs for DC as they can be had with a 15 or 20A rating and are cheap and foolproof.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 12:04 PM   #11
Veteran Member

City: Mount Vernon, WA / La Conner, WA
Vessel Name: Otter
Vessel Model: 1985 President Sundeck 41
Yep.
We've got one of those receptacles in our galley along with it's own dedicated switch on the fuse panel.
Thanks for starting this thread DHeckrotte, so I know how to deal with it now since we don't have any 12V appliances.
Looks like a USB outlet is the ticket.
WD40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 01:38 PM   #12
Guru

We have the same receptacle on our Taiwan trawler fly-bridge, fed from the same terminal board, both AC and DC.
ancora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 02:54 PM   #13
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
We have a couple of standard 12v outlets with its own switch on the panel. We also have an odd ball 12v receptacle that was added by the PO to power a 12v freezer/cooler in the aft cockpit. Based on the electrical tape on the plug on the cooler, I don't think it is what was standard with the cooler.

Need to find my soldering gun and check that....

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 03:23 PM   #14
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Name: Cygnus
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
I'm finding you can't have enough 12V outlets OR USB outlets.

You can buy a pair (one each) for about $12 on Amazon. Then buy a blank wall plate at the big-box home improvement store and use a hole saw to make appropriate sized holes for the outlets. They sell nylon wall plates that won't crack when you drill them.

CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 03:49 PM   #15
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
I'm finding you can't have enough 12V outlets OR USB outlets.

You can buy a pair (one each) for about $12 on Amazon. Then buy a blank wall plate at the big-box home improvement store and use a hole saw to make appropriate sized holes for the outlets. They sell nylon wall plates that won't crack when you drill them.
I dumped the face plate and drilled 2 holes. I then converted the AC outlet to a double. We now have 4-12 volt USB charging stations in the pilot house and 2 cigarette type plugs.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0030.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	52407  
Old 05-26-2016, 05:08 PM   #16
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
I want to replace all the internal AC outlets in my boat with something like this.

Can charge anything that takes a USB cord from anywhere then.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 06:57 AM   #17
FF
Guru

"so I know how to deal with it now since we don't have any 12V appliances."

Not even a 12v Fantastic fan?
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 08:03 AM   #18
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
I want to replace all the internal AC outlets in my boat with something like this.

Can charge anything that takes a USB cord from anywhere then.
The only down side is you need AC power to the receptacle. That's what's nice about the plugs Capt Tom posted, they're 12 VDC and run off the house bank
Old 05-27-2016, 08:46 AM   #19
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Name: Cygnus
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
While we're on the subject of USB outlets, be aware that they're not all created equal. Newer devices can draw 2 to 3 A (at 5V).

Also, there are "charging" and "data" cords. If the device detects that the connection is for charging only (based on the voltages present on the data pins in Apple devices, or the data pins being shorted for Android devices) then it will draw the full available current. If not, it may throttle charging to as little as 100mA. Android devices show this as "charging on DC." With a charging cord, it will say "charging on AC" and charge MUCH faster.

And, not to start a generational war, but I've found that anyone under a certain age doesn't understand how batteries work. Their phone batteries are forever at or near total discharge. They spend a good portion of every day searching for a power source to charge them back up to 10 or 15%, then head out to start the process over again.

It's very helpful to have an assortment of charging cords and outlets for guests. Without that, they get antsy and start talking about how they need to get going before their phone dies.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 11:57 AM   #20

City: marina del rey
Vessel Model: Goldenstar sportfisher
My 1985 Taiwanese trawler has the same receptacle (the only one of its kind on the boat) under the wet bar (now my work from home desk). I use the 110V for my computer and the 12 volt for my phone charger. Keeps everything neat and close by.

Goldenstar38 is offline   Reply With Quote