Old 03-10-2012, 01:14 PM   #21
Guru

City: Calgary
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001
RE: PC Navigation Again

Elwin & Benn, I for one will be very interested in hearing about your experiences with the Structurescan. I'm not a fisherman, but that looks like a great tool for exploring quiet little bays and coves etc.

Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 05:49 PM   #22
Guru

City: Springdale, NL
Vessel Name: Ocean Breeze
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 85OA38

Most definitely.. I just PMed you.*

Elwin*

Ocean Breeze NL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 08:36 PM   #23
Guru

City: Mooloolaba
Vessel Name: Tidahapah
Vessel Model: Bert Ellis Timber motor cruiser

Now back to PC based plotters.
I have been thru a few systems over the years.
Started in 1994 with an Aussie made system called C-Plot, this was a good syhstem with a dedicated keyboard but at that stage their own digitised charts.
Changed over to Tsunami a few years later, and this has been my favourite.
Some years ago changed to nobeltec VNS as Transtas support for Tsunami appeared to drop off.

Change up with Nobelyec to their C map charts when the Jeppsen/ Bowing thinghy happened.
It would now appear that Nobeltec is having a complete change with their system and I am now in a bit of a quandry to which way I will jump. Stay with Nobeltec or have another change.

C-Plot is still there and now supports raster and C Map charts, some of the free ones are no good in Aus as they don'y have any charts, Sea Max may be good but havn,t completed the free trial yet.

What are other guys using in the higher end type PC based plotters.
Tidahapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 07:01 AM   #24

PC Navigation Again

Up north there is considerable*interest in*the Coastal Explorer software from Rose Point Navigation.* Coastal Explorer uses vector, raster and C-Map charts.* For those of us in the U.S. the official vector and raster charts are available free of charge from NOAA (thanks to the Freedom of Information Act).* Your installed Coastal Explorer software automatically checks for newly released charts for areas you have specified and downloads them if you have internet access.* Alternatively you can copy downloaded charts to a flash drive and then take them to the boat and import them.* List price for Coastal Explorer is $399US but you can usually find discounts at boat shows.* Rose Point website:

http://rosepointnav.com/default.htm

Rose Point recently added the ability to use the Jeppeson C-Map charts (not the SD chip version but the CD/DVD version).* C-Map has good coverage of waters worldwide.* Another alternative source for vector charts is ChartWorld out of Germany.* I purchased ChartWorld's version of Navionics ENC charts of the British Columbia coast for 149 Euros.* Here's their website:

http://www.chartworld.com/web/

As far as the hardware goes (and not getting into the Apple vs PC argument) many people simply use a laptop for their navigation system.* That was the solution that got us to Alaska*in 2005 but died a couple of years later.* My current solution is a 12 VDC automotive computer running Win7 and feeding a standard 250 nit PC display.*

-- Edited by Steppen on Sunday 11th of March 2012 07:03:41 AM

-- Edited by Steppen on Sunday 11th of March 2012 07:43:11 AM
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vpcd525_1.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	10509   Click image for larger version

Name:	006.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	10510  
Steppen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 08:49 AM   #25
Guru

City: Mooloolaba
Vessel Name: Tidahapah
Vessel Model: Bert Ellis Timber motor cruiser

Steppen,
Thanks for that.
I will try the Rose Point trial when I get home.
Have all the Naavionics charts from my Lowrance sounder/plotter.
I am also going to talk to Nobeltek re their future plans for VNS and if support will continue.
Tidahapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 05:19 PM   #26

City: Auckland
Vessel Name: Pioneer
Vessel Model: Westcoaster 53 converted to pleasure

Hi Benn,

I've had Raytech (originally Kiwitech of which I had a beta version), Nobel tech and now I use Fugawi with*Navionics Gold charts.*I'm intrigued at the comments about the Fugawi interface - I've found it easy to use and the whole program very satisfactory.

Some of the free ones, here in NZ at least, are a bit limited in that they don't provide a course-up view which I regard as essential if using in conjunction with radar.

Bendit is offline   Reply With Quote