Old 02-23-2012, 05:21 PM   #101
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
RE: Passing and being passed

In a narrow channel... of course I would have to get out of the way (rule 9) but in open water that ship will probably steer well clear if he sees me (have it happen plenty) and they don't want any issues answering questions to the USCG.* Of course it's a big assumption that they see you so if I know Im in their usual course to a known destination I'll steer a course out of their way.

psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 05:39 PM   #102
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Passing and being passed

That's my point.* Anyway, in the San Francisco estuary, moving ships are always in a narrow channel.* They are uncontrollable (but lovable) beasts, and it is*up to us to stay clear of them.

-- Edited by markpierce on Thursday 23rd of February 2012 06:41:45 PM

markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 05:56 PM   #103
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express

Quote:
motion30 wrote:
moon struck I believe you passed me several times this fall Oct was it?
We left Hilton Head for Fort Pierce on Nov. 5. *So, yes, we could have passed you several times. *Lou was having trouble with her shoulder, so we would take some time off along the way. *We let her rest up at Jekyll Island and Daytona. She slept mostly from New Smyrna to Ft. Pierce. That put us passing some of the same boats. *I hope we gave you a good pass. *We try to be courteous in doing the ICW. *Moonstruck is not a hard boat to recognize. *Capt. Mike on "the little Defever" said we passed him on the way North.
Moonstruck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 06:04 PM   #104
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44

This guy always has the right of way.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	60 turkish warship.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	116.6 KB
ID:	10276  
koliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:46 AM   #105
Guru

Since we have been talking about passing and courtesy, here is an old thread that may be of interest to some of the newer members.
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Old 07-31-2013, 09:03 PM   #106
Guru

There has been much discussion on wakes and passing going on. Since the last post on this thread was in Nov. 2012, I thought that there may be some merit in bringing it up again. We have many new members that may be able to add to what has already been discussed. Looking over the thread could be of benefit to some.
Old 08-05-2013, 09:03 PM   #107

City: Sharbot Lake
Vessel Name: Manatee
Vessel Model: 1976 Albin 25 DeLuxe
Thank you Moonstruck - as a new member and noobie trawlerite I enjoyed reading through this thread. These passing conventions are not taught in the boating courses I've taken and not yet being active in the boating community, I have been unsure of the proper passing protocol.
Old 08-05-2013, 10:39 PM   #108
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Thank you Moonstruck - as a new member and noobie trawlerite I enjoyed reading through this thread. These passing conventions are not taught in the boating courses I've taken and not yet being active in the boating community, I have been unsure of the proper passing protocol.
Quite right! I have taught boating courses. The course material and time allotted leave little time for added material. Most boating courses for the general public teach just enough to keep you legal. Experience and forums like this can be a big help. Of course, your knowing what to do does not mean others will.
Old 08-27-2013, 01:58 PM   #109

City: Danversport, MA
Vessel Name: Not For Sail
Vessel Model: Chris Craft Catalina 281
This thread has been a very interesting read. I am very familiar with what the COLREGs say on this matter, but I find it interesting that the 'locals' in my home port seem to have this unwritten 'rule of the road' as it concerns passing particularly head-on. My boat is docked about 2 miles up a winding river at a yacht club that has quite a few boats (paticularly smaller CCs and sportfishermen). The river has a relatively narrow channel, but with decent channel markers each within sight of each other (MLLW is about 7 feet). When I first started going up/down this river I used my horn almost always when passing a boat or meeting one head-on. I never once got a response from their vessel (which was most likely heading to/from my yacht club). One day, I asked one of the 'old-timers' at my dock what the deal was. He then explained to me the 'unwritten' rules that most of the experienced boaters followed on the river based on mutual understanding/agreement. The 'rules' made sense (i.e. passing port-to-port when meeting head-on, passing the channel markers on your port side, and overtaking a vessel to its starboard side). I accepted these rules readily enough. But as someone said in a previous post, I am still very keen on observing a boat's behavior because you never know if chimpanzees are driving it.

So, when (if at all) are 'unwritten rules' of the locals acceptable, versus COLREGS or inland rules? If I cruise in unfamiliar waters, should I be obligated to learn these unwritten rules or else draw the wrath of the locals?
BriBri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 03:30 PM   #110
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
According to California Boating Law (and like the ColRegs) "When motorboats are in sight of one another and meeting or crossing at a distance within half a mile of each other, each vessel shall indicate its intended maneuvers with the following signals ..."

This rule is rarely followed among pleasure craft or between pleasure and commercial vessels. If there is a possibility of collision, the usual practice is to make your actions clear by a course/speed adjustment, hopefully by the burdened vessel. It's more like the "dance" among pedestrians on a busy sidewalk. Thus, it was interesting to hear five short blasts (what the heck are you doing!) by some (probably commercial) boat in the strait while we were out of sight at a nearby berth. That's extremely rare.

No signal given; none expected (but at least there was an observant/interested crewmember):

Old 03-25-2014, 02:30 PM   #111

City: Florida
Vessel Name: Lady Di
Vessel Model: Beneteau Swift Trawler 44
Rules- written & unwitten

As a boater with some limited experience but now becoming fully immersed, this has been an insightful thread indeed!

We'll be taking Lady Di from Annapolis to Marco Island in the fall of 2014 and the information and experiences, like the ones posted here, may serve to flatten our steep learning curve.

My dear old Dad used to say: "Right is right, and everything else is wrong."

We really care about having fun and the satisfaction of doing it right. So many questions!

Thanks in advance, "old salts".
rclarke246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 05:16 PM   #112
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by BriBri View Post
........... So, when (if at all) are 'unwritten rules' of the locals acceptable, versus COLREGS or inland rules? If I cruise in unfamiliar waters, should I be obligated to learn these unwritten rules or else draw the wrath of the locals?
The "locals" will be following their own unwritten rules (or no rules at all). If you're operating a 40' or less pleasure boat and blow your horn, the likely response will be a hand signal with just one finger raised.

That's not to say you shouldn't use your horn to warn of danger, just remember that 90% of the recreational boaters you meet will have no idea why you are blowing the horn.

"Regulation", yes. "Reality" no.

rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote