Requirements for Canadian pleasure craft between 12 and 20 meters

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafety...ter12m-293.htm
weebobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 01:32 PM   #102

City: St. Catharines
Vessel Name: Delia Rosa
Vessel Model: C & L Sea Ranger 47 Raised Pilothouse
RE: Paper Charts

Our boat is a Canadian Registered Vessel but we do all our boating in US waters... so we try to make sure we are compliant with the rules of both countries. *

We have to be careful about a few differneces in these rules... for example, flares are legal in Canada for four years from the date of manufacture, but only three in the US!
Delia Rosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 01:34 PM   #103
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC

Quote:
weebobby wrote:

Pretty close to the US requirements for my boat (I'm the next size smaller.)* One difference I see is the number of flares.* Don't have my reference material here, but I believe US requires 3 signaling/flares and Canada 12.* I'm not sure on the heaving line requirement, but I'm a sport crabber and have that one covered many times over.

I boat a lot in BC, so thanks for posting that info.

LB
Edelweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 01:38 PM   #104

Quote:
Edelweiss wrote:weebobby wrote:

Pretty close to the US requirements for my boat (I'm the next size smaller.)* One difference I see is the number of flares.* Don't have my reference material here, but I believe US requires 3 signaling/flares and Canada 12.* I'm not sure on the heaving line requirement, but I'm a sport crabber and have that one covered many times over.

I boat a lot in BC, so thanks for posting that info.

LB

*I think that the Canadian rules are stricter for number and types of fire extinguishers as well as the extra flare requirement.
Old 01-22-2012, 02:02 PM   #105

Although this comment is off topic regarding paper charts, the biggest difference in the rules for boating in Canada and the US seems to be about alcohol.
In both countries, driving a boat while impaired is a serious offence. *Canada takes it a step further by saying that:
In most provinces, alcohol may be consumed on board the pleasure craft only if it meets all of the following conditions:
<ul type="disc"><li class="MsoNormal" style="margin-left:36pt;background-color:#FFFFFF;">The vessel has permanent sleeping facilities<li class="MsoNormal" style="margin-left:36pt;background-color:#FFFFFF;">The vessel has permanent cooking facilities<li class="MsoNormal" style="margin-left:36pt;background-color:#FFFFFF;">The vessel has a permanent toilet<li class="MsoNormal" style="margin-left:36pt;background-color:#FFFFFF;">The vessel is anchored or secured alongside a dock[/list]So in Canada, no drinking by anyone on board is allowed while cruising... and in Canada, boating violations can be tied to your motor vehicle driver's licence... i.e. *a serious infraction on your boat can lead to losing your driver's licence.
Old 01-22-2012, 03:12 PM   #106
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40

Quote:
Delia Rosa wrote:Although this comment is off topic regarding paper charts, the biggest difference in the rules for boating in Canada and the US seems to be about alcohol.
In both countries, driving a boat while impaired is a serious offence. *Canada takes it a step further by saying that:
In most provinces, alcohol may be consumed on board the pleasure craft only if it meets all of the following conditions:
<ul type="disc"><li class="MsoNormal" style="margin-left:36pt;background-color:#ffffff;">The vessel has permanent sleeping facilities<li class="MsoNormal" style="margin-left:36pt;background-color:#ffffff;">The vessel has permanent cooking facilities<li class="MsoNormal" style="margin-left:36pt;background-color:#ffffff;">The vessel has a permanent toilet<li class="MsoNormal" style="margin-left:36pt;background-color:#ffffff;">The vessel is anchored or secured alongside a dock[/list]So in Canada, no drinking by anyone on board is allowed while cruising... and in Canada, boating violations can be tied to your motor vehicle driver's licence... i.e. *a serious infraction on your boat can lead to losing your driver's licence.
Licenses tied together here in NJ also...but for passengers?* Then it should apply to passengers on Cruise Ships in Canadien waters.* More cruise ships have sunk lately than small boats I've been in charge of
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 03:29 PM   #107

The rule regarding passengers is for pleasure boats.... I don't know the rules for commercial vessels like cruise ships or even fishing charters in Canadian waters....

but I hear you about cruise vessels being sunk lately!
Old 01-22-2012, 07:48 PM   #108
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44

Linked to your DL? not so, at least in BC

It is a criminal offence to operate a vessel "while impaired by alcohol or a drug", or to "blow over .08", or to "refuse to blow". Conviction will result in a fine AND a suspension of your operating privileges. It is up to the sentencing judge whether the suspension goes beyond operating a vessel, into "driving". I have been lawyering for 30 yrs and, while impaired defence has been only a small part of my practice, I have never seen a judge prohibit an impaired driver from operating a vessel, nor a vessel offender from driving a car. I actually had to argue that driving privileges should not be affected for an impaired vessel operator, several years ago. They weren't.

As for boats without sleeping/cooking/toilet not having alcohol aboard? Show me one. Bet you can't find a "dry" boat at the local launching ramp on a summer weekend!
koliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 06:40 AM   #109

Paper Charts

Quote:
koliver wrote:
Linked to your DL? not so, at least in BC
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
I can only speak to Ontario - I don't know how it works in other provinces - but here is a quote taken directly from the Ontario Ministry of Transportation. *

"*Alcohol and boating do not mix - Boaters caught drinking and boating in Ontario face consequences similar to those for drinking and driving:
<ul type="disc"><li class="MsoNormal" style="margin-left:36pt;line-height:16.8pt;background-color:#e8ebe8;">Immediate*3, 7 or 30 day drivers licence suspension if caught with a*blood alcohol concentration (BAC)*in the "warn" range of 0.05 to 0.08. Drivers caught in the "warn" range more than once will face a mandatory alcohol education program, and could be subject to treatment programs and ignition interlock.<li class="MsoNormal" style="margin-left:36pt;line-height:16.8pt;background-color:#e8ebe8;">Immediate 90-day administrative drivers licence suspension and a $150 administrative monetary penalty for boaters exceeding a 0.08 BAC or for failing or refusing to provide a breath or blood sample.<li class="MsoNormal" style="margin-left:36pt;line-height:16.8pt;background-color:#e8ebe8;">If convicted under the Criminal Code, the boater will also face:[/list]<ul type="circle"><li class="MsoNormal" style="margin-left:36pt;line-height:16.8pt;background-color:#e8ebe8;">Driver's licence suspension, for one year up to a lifetime ban<li class="MsoNormal" style="margin-left:36pt;line-height:16.8pt;background-color:#e8ebe8;">Mandatory alcohol assessment, education or treatment, and follow-up<li class="MsoNormal" style="margin-left:36pt;line-height:16.8pt;background-color:#e8ebe8;">Ignition interlock condition on their drivers licence for one year to up to a lifetime<li class="MsoNormal" style="margin-left:36pt;line-height:16.8pt;background-color:#e8ebe8;">Vehicle impoundment if caught driving a motor vehicle while under suspension[/list]These sanctions apply to anyone who is caught drinking and operating motorized and non-motorized vessels, including power boats, canoes, kayaks, personal watercraft, sailboats, dinghies and other inflatable boats and rafts.
Transport Canada states:"*Alcohol and Boating -*<strong style="font-size:13px;">Driving Under the Influence[/b]
Boating while impaired is an offence under the Criminal Code of Canada.
Operators with more than 80 milligrams of alcohol per 100 millilitres of blood are liable to the following fines:
1st offence : at least $600 fine
2nd offence : at least 14 days of imprisonment
3rd offence : at least 90 days of imprisonment
The maximum sentence may vary depending on provincial statutes.
*------------
One other thought regarding your comment:
"As for boats without sleeping/cooking/toilet not having alcohol aboard? Show me one. Bet you can't find a "dry" boat at the local launching ramp on a summer weekend!:
The rules about boating and alcohol exist and whether they are always enforced was really not my point - but boaters should be aware of all of these laws whether they choose to obey them or not. *And in Ontario at least, *they are now being enforced more widely and consistently.*
http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/saf.../boating.shtml
http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/saf...eet.shtml#adls
http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafety...tor-1610.htm#d

-- Edited by Delia Rosa on Monday 23rd of January 2012 09:13:46 AM