Optimal MFD Install

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

angus99

Guru
Vessel Name
Stella Maris
Vessel Make
Defever 44
I'm finally getting ready to install some new electronics including Furuno doppler radar and two TZTouch2 MFDs. I have to confess that I bought the two MFDs without a clear idea of where I'd install them. The only certainties are that they will not be built in--but will be installed with brackets--and that I won't have more than two MFDs.

I'm trying to decide whether to mount one MFD on each helm or install two sets of brackets at each helm and move the MFDs depending on which helm we're running the boat from. I'm guessing that having two screens per helm would reduce clutter if I have radar on one and GPS/sonar on the other. (I also don't know what's possible using an iPad to mirror or augment the MFDs.)

Would appreciate any recommendations for how the MFDs can be installed optimally.

Moving them from the upper to the lower helm and back, is unrealistic. It would be a cabling nightmare. Most displays now have moisture proof connectors. Switching back and forth would just invite contact corrosion issues. Set up your lower helm as that is your any weather station, then figure out what you need at the upper helm.

Ted

I would probably put one at each helm. The new gear offers myriad display options on one screen - more capability than most will use.

I concur with moving two the dual units between helms - problematic.

As others have said, either lay out the actual unit or make a cardboard prop of one BEFORE installation. Operate the boat as you do 90% of the time and sample various mounting locations. We just went through this aboard IRENE, and came up with a positive end result we did not anticipate.

Best Wishes

Jeff

Thanks, folks. Hard to say where we'll be operating from most often. We love running from the flybridge, but the saloon is where we'll be in foul weather arguing for the most flexibility and screen real estate. I really don't want to buy another MFD, so maybe I'll try it with one at each station and see how that works over the long term.

Thanks, folks. Hard to say where we'll be operating from most often. We love running from the flybridge, but the saloon is where we'll be in foul weather arguing for the most flexibility and screen real estate. I really don't want to buy another MFD, so maybe I'll try it with one at each station and see how that works over the long term.

Think about the problems involved in moving the MFDs from one station to the other. If it was just the MFD and power cable it would just be inconvenient.

I don't know about your system, but with mine (Garmin), the GPS antenna and depth sounder plug into one of the stations and both share the information. My antenna and depth sounder are plugged into the lower MFD. If I unplugged it to move it, there would be no information for the upper MFD to display. No GPS information or depth information.

If you are running from the flybridge and it starts raining, you want to be able to move to the lower station without disconnecting things, reconnecting and rebooting.

I would install one at each station, but do it with an eye towards how you would add a second station at least at the lower help, and maybe the upper as well. Then if you later decide to double up at either help, you hopefully won't have boxed yourself into a corner.

Foul weather is usually when more screen space is desirable, so if you end up doubling up anywhere, I expect it will be the lower helm.

Will this work?

Good advice, all.

I may have another option. Furuno says I can use iPads to both mirror and control the two MFDs, using their proprietary apps. So I'm thinking that I might permanently install both MFDs at the lower helm and use the wireless network to navigate via iPads on the flybridge. (Rather than put complete trust in wireless, I have a totally redundant depth sounder at the flybridge in case the wifi craps out and could move quickly to the lower helm if there's ever a problem with the iPads.)

Does anybody have a setup like this and does it work?

Good advice, all.

I may have another option. Furuno says I can use iPads to both mirror and control the two MFDs, using their proprietary apps. So I'm thinking that I might permanently install both MFDs at the lower helm and use the wireless network to navigate via iPads on the flybridge. (Rather than put complete trust in wireless, I have a totally redundant depth sounder at the flybridge in case the wifi craps out and could move quickly to the lower helm if there's ever a problem with the iPads.)

I'm currently during just that with my Raymarine MFD at lower helm and I use either iPad or android tablet on flybridge. Works well. So far the only issue is in very bright sunlight tablets are not as easy to see as a MFD is.

Good advice, all.

I did something like this with the recent installation of a new Furuno TZ touch2, FI70 instrument displays, NavPilot 711Cs and the NXT Doppler radar in my Krogen 39. I decided on one 15" MFD, two FI 70 instruments, the 711C autopilot control panel and an Icom VHF at the pilot house helm station. I then installed another 711C autopilot control panel, Icom VHF command mic, and another FI70 display at the flybridge. As you have mentioned, the MFD can be mirrored via an iPad or iPhone. It all works seamlessly.
Of course, this is a personal decision made by each owner/skipper. I wanted simplicity, but capability. I am usually in the protected waters of the PNW, and not in open ocean environments (yet, anyway). At either helm station, I have complete access, and control, of everything.
Here are a couple of pics. Good luck with your decision.

IMG_1106.jpg

IMG_1837.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom