Opinions on depth sounder/ fish finder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

captDJ

Veteran Member
Need to replace/ upgrade Furuno GP 1850 WDF, I would like similar features, any thoughts?

It might be helpful if you listed the 'similar features' you'd like to have in your new system. What does the new system have to interface with, if anything?

That 1850 is a very nice machine, and Furuno makes the best bottom machines. Find the current Furuno replacement, that's your choice

:socool:

I just upgraded my Furuno electronics and found by going to an electronics store and getting a very knowledgeable salesman, I was able to sort through what was really important to me and what I didn't really need. Those that fish a lot will likely need features different than cruisers. It really comes down to what you want from them and how many $$$ you have to spend.

Why do you need to replace it? It may very well be repairable. First thing I'd do is call Furuno and discuss your situation, their support is excellent. If you are determined to have something new, they can also recommend replacement options.

The screen is toast and the unit is not supported any longer, I would love to fix but have to replace transponder at next haulout so it feels like time to replace all. I will call furuno and also check out stores, thank you for your comments

IMG_0629.jpg

This is what we installed on Blue Sky recently. We keep it as a stand alone away from our chartplotter etc. Works well down to 1000' feet, and on occasion has gone down to 1400' but not often. The fishfinding features appear to work very well (I'm not a fisherman but others onboard have praised it.) One feature I do like is its ability to tell me the composition of the bottom, whether it is mud, rock, sand, or gravel. There is a smaller version as well if it is mounted fairly close to you.

https://www.furuno.com/en/products/fishfinder/FCV-588

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom