Old 05-29-2014, 11:10 PM   #81
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Thank you...hard to argue with some amateurs who only know a piece of the pie...searchlights aren't always useful..but in some instances...they can't be beat and don't destroy nigh vision if you know how to use them...despite what some may think....as seen in your example.
We freely admit to having more electronics, more light, and in general more safety equipment than we hope to ever need. Much of it we rarely use. But when that time comes. And I recall when the tow driver used the searchlight, my wife nearly screamed "I want one of those freaking lights." Now understand our only boating at that time was on a lake and our boat a 30' bowrider. So was a few years before we had such a light. Would night vision have done the same, don't know because at that time had never seen it on a boat.

Hopefully all choose the equipment they need and that works for them while also understanding it's limitations as well as our own personal limitations using it.

BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 11:14 PM   #82
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
We freely admit to having more electronics, more light, and in general more safety equipment than we hope to ever need. Much of it we rarely use. But when that time comes. And I recall when the tow driver used the searchlight, my wife nearly screamed "I want one of those freaking lights." Now understand our only boating at that time was on a lake and our boat a 30' bowrider. So was a few years before we had such a light. Would night vision have done the same, don't know because at that time had never seen it on a boat.

Hopefully all choose the equipment they need and that works for them while also understanding it's limitations as well as our own personal limitations using it.

Just curious what brand did you go with, Carlisle & Finch?

Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 01:38 AM   #83
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by N4712 View Post
Just curious what brand did you go with, Carlisle & Finch?
Yes. They are the only high wattage xenon models we really found. Their joystick controls are great. Their quality is just very impressive all around.

One product they have now too which is intriguing is a Nightfinder which has the search light and the night vision camera on the same base. One of the things that is designed for is piracy defense too on large commercial boats. Mount Nightfinder's and they detect the danger, then because they're already focused on the danger, you turn the search light on and blind them with the beam of light. Navy vessels are mounting one bow and one stern then using hand held portable lights as well.

We don't normally travel much at night but in June and July we will be traveling a total of nine overnight trips. That will be our first time to perhaps need the light. We've only tested it so far.
Old 05-30-2014, 07:24 AM   #84
Guru

City: Tuckerton, NJ
Vessel Name: WIRELESS ONE
Vessel Model: 36 Gulstar MarkII
It's nice to be called an amateur in fact I am an amateur radio operator my call sign is AA2UK. I think the amateur move is running the Jersey ICW at night at 20-22knots.
Not a professional move in my opinion it looks like I'm not alone.
Bill
Billylll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 07:32 AM   #85
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Professionals get paid to do something and are held to certain standards...people who don't get paid for money are "amatuers" although the Olympic games sure have clouded the issue.

It's only a derogatory term if taken that way.....I stay out of the detailed electronic discussions that the "pros" on here often have because it's out of my league.

It's comical when other's venture into mine.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 07:36 AM   #86
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Professionals get paid to do something and are held to certain standards...people who don't get paid for money are "amatuers" although the Olympic games sure have clouded the issue.

It's only a derogatory term if taken that way.....I stay out of the detailed electronic discussions that the "pros" on here often have because it's out of my league.

It's comical when other's venture into mine.
Who ventured into your world? A simple observation and suggestion is hardly venturing into someone's perceived world.
Peace,
Bill
Old 05-30-2014, 07:50 AM   #87
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billylll View Post
I think the amateur move is running the Jersey ICW at night at 20-22knots.
Not a professional move in my opinion it looks like I'm not alone.
Bill
I would have agreed with you at one time. However, having gotten certain equipment I now would have to admit that while I still wouldn't choose personally to do it, I do believe someone with proper equipment, proper experience, and proper lookout could run the ICW at those speeds at night. On a clear night I can use night vision and a search light on top of regular radar and even sonic although sonic doesn't do anything much at those speeds. But using night vision, a commercial level search light, and radar, with an experienced captain and another looking out, your vision on a clear night is as clear as during day. In fact, it might be a little better as there is no sun glare.

I don't know his complete setup and haven't been on his boat so I can't pass judgement on it. But I believe my boat would be very safe in those conditions. Oh and for the others running around in the dark, we would be outlined with blue LED lights in addition to the regular navigation lights. Again, I don't plan on running that speed in the ICW, but I do believe he can do so safely if set up as my boat is. Now this is a clear night. A foggy night is a different story, just as fog during the day is.
Old 05-30-2014, 08:40 AM   #88
Guru

What, unless your ex USCG and have a professional captains license you are depending on your electronics too much and you have no business running at that speed. I'm just beating another member's response to your post! I can run between the islands behind LBI and the sticks into Tuckerton Creek at those speeds in my Mainship but I wouldn't do it. I guess by my response I must have done it at least once or how would I know it can be done?
Bill