One battery bank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The problem with videos like this is that you have no idea of the current condition of the engine. If the engine has been running before the video and is already warmed up, it will probably take a lot less to crank it over. Cranking over a diesel that's 30 degrees Fahrenheit or less might take 4 times the energy or more.

Ted

Much like pretty much anything written on a Internet forum...has all the value of something overheard on a bus, until verified.

Last edited:
Much like pretty much anything written on a Internet forum...has all the value of something overheard on a bus, until verified.
The lithium battery based jump starters are over 14v. They crank a stone cold high compression gas big block like it was a warm engine. One properly sized should have no problems with a small diesel. Just check the cranking amps before buying.

I am in the process of doing this now. I am replacing two 8D house batteries with 3 L15 fireflys and each of the 8D start batteries with 2 group 31 fireflys. They will all be combined into one enormous bank. The engines’ two 115 amp Alternator’s will be controlled by Balmar 614 external regulators and a Balmar centerfielder which will allow both alternators two charge a single bank.

I was originally going to change just the house bank, but that became a complicated issue. I would not be able to combine the banks when at anchor if I had fireflys and something else.

I also must mention that I have two generators which have their own batteries. I think I have more than enough backup.

The fireflies have so much capacity and such a long life, I doubt I will ever have to monkey with batteries ever again. At least that is the hope.

Gordon
"I was originally going to change just the house bank, but that became a complicated issue. I would not be able to combine the banks when at anchor if I had fireflys and something else." Gordon

Why do you say this? What would you like problem with joining FireFlys and another batt chemistry while at anchor and discharging ?

Certainly not a consideration for Murray, but for those of us that have electronic engines such as the Cummins, Tony Athens (Seaboard Marine) strongly recommends that nothing be connected to the start battery except the engine.

The reason for this is possible electrical interference making the engine run poorly. I found this out the hard way, simply in how I was charging the start battery. It cost me thousands of dollars, months of down time, countless hours of aggravation, unintended anchor testing in a high current waiting for a tow, and ultimate the privilege of getting a new engine.

So while using a single bank makes a lot of sense, I wouldn’t consider it with a modern Cummins.

Wow! I guess at the time you went through this, I didn’t fully understand the ultimate cause.

Jim

Wow! I guess at the time you went through this, I didn’t fully understand the ultimate cause.

Jim

Yeah, of course it wasn’t until very late into the adventure that I figured out the problem. This of course was after the various “fixes” ended up “breaking” my engine.

So my point is that electrical issues can be tough to figure out. I had two qualified mechanics from two reputable shops not be able to figure out it. Finally, something a third senior mechanic and myself figured it out. That only happened because I happened to remember reading a post by Tony Athens where he made a comment to the effect “don’t let the engine communicate with any other systems”.

Again, not applicable to Murray’s situation.

I was wondering if the 2000 amps delivered by the GB70 would be too much for the starter on our engine, so did a little digging and found this:

No, a higher than specified CCA battery won't destroy or harm a starter motor. The CCA is the available amount of current the battery can put out at 0 degrees F. The amount of current flowing in an electrical circuit is dependent on the load(s) in that circuit. The load is a device that uses current to operate. The load itself is what determines how much current is flowing in an electrical circuit. The only thing a battery does is store electrical energy and is used as a power source.

Can a battery's CCA be too high & damage a starter? - Car Troubleshooting

He went on to say as long as it's a 12 volt battery, no harm would be done.

This right?

This right?

YOU BET!
What harms a starter is low voltage and high load causing lots of heat in the unit which is hard on the brushes too.

Your starter would be delighted to see 14V and 10,000 Amps , unhappy with 9V and shrinking amps while cranking..

AC/DC (universal) motors as used in tools seem OK with reduces voltage , they are just a bit weaker.

Folks with a Harbor Freight or other non sine wave inverter should look for older tools with Universal motors (brushes) that will perform well with power without a perfect wave form.

This right?

YOU BET!
What harms a starter is low voltage and high load causing lots of heat in the unit which is hard on the brushes too.

Your starter would be delighted to see 14V and 10,000 Amps , unhappy with 9V and shrinking amps while cranking..

Back
Top Bottom