Onan MDJE generator

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tallswede

Vessel Name
Islander
Vessel Make
Prairie 36
Hi everyone, I've been working on getting my old gennie up and running. It wanted to start but just couldn't quite go so I began trouble shooting. I've got good compression, fuel to the injectors but kick back into the fuel line to #1 injector. (It's a 2 cyl.) So I pulled the injector, took it apart and it looks like the pintle has broken. So, I guess I'll be looking for an injector maybe two to get my Onan up and running. My question to all of you is do you know of a good source of parts for these old generators? Somewhere in the Clearlake/Houston local area is preferable. Used parts in good shape would be fine I'm sure. Maybe an RV generator source? Where would you begin your search and have you worked on one of these? Thanks for your responses.

Kevin

Kevin, I've got the same old beast on our GB. Suggest you join the forums at smokstak.com (Onan Generators - SmokStak) . These guys know EVERYTHING about old Onans!

Generator.com They have everything that you may need. Good luck.

We had one on our sailboat. There is a dealer in, I think, Dickinson but I can't recall the name.

Most areas in the country have a specialized diesel fuel shop. We even have one in Anchorage Alaska. Go to a place like that, they rebuild injectors and injection pumps.

Take the injector apart and read the numbers on the side of the nozzle body. Probably a Bosch or ND. Should be available at any injection shop. Might as well do both.

Or take up Kulas offer, he would need the numbers too.

Thanks everyone. This gives me some good info to go on. The injector I believe is a Bosch type and has Yanmar stamped on it on one side and the numbers 35s 579 on the other. According to my parts catalog it should be part number 147-0136. Oh well, I'll keep looking. Kulas, if you find something in your stash, let me know and thanks.

Kevin

The Westerbeke dealer in Clear Lake is Elite Diesel I believe. 281 535 0200
Also might try Yacht Equipment Sales (YES) 281 538 9377

Still looking. I have 3 Cummins 6BTs on roll arounds pushed up in a corner, pretty sure my old Oh No stuff is behind them. I did find a bunch of parts for the MDJF 12 or 15 kw. Couple of nice raw water pumps and new and old style heat exchangers. 2 pretty much complete MDJFs, an oldish 7.5 kw Kohler with a Kubota 850 diesel engine and 2 new in the box military 4AO32 generator engines. At one time there was a 1972 mustang convertible back there. For about 5 years. I did finally dig it out and sell it.

Do a search on Google "Onan 147-0136" eBay has some at $190

To the OP- don't sweat getting the number of the injector itself, you want the number off the nozzle which is inside the injector, the actual tip.

I bought a couple of injectors last summer from eBay. They were for the military version of the mdje. Put a estimated 400 hours on the set. Runs well.

Back
Top Bottom