Onan Generator Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ex Sailor

Our ( new to us ) boat came with an Onan MDKD 8 KW Generator with a dedicated starting battery. While this battery was also connected to the common AC powered charger ( I have since installed an Inverter Charger ) I am wondering if the Generator charges this battery via it's own charging system .. ? while it's running ? as I have wired the new Inverter / Charger trickle charge output to this battery as well.

I can't seem to find this info in the Gen. documentation that I have.

Hope any of the above makes sense and warrants a comment / advice.

Thanks in advance, Frank B.

It probably does have a small DC alternator. But here is an easy way to tell:

Disconnect the shore power inverter charger connection to the genset starting battery. Wait a little while to let the "surface charge" to bleed down and measure the starting battery's voltage. Should be something less than 13.0 V.

Then start the generator and after it has been running for a few minutes measure the battery's voltage. If it is being charged it will read above 13.0 V.

David

We have an an Onan Jurrassic Model MDJE 7.5 kw on our boat. It has its own 4D start battery. This battery is on an echo charge line from our Heart Freedom 25 inverter/charger. It is also charged by one of the engines when they're running. And the generator charges its battery when it's running. There is an adjustment on the generator to regulate the amount of charging current going to the start battery when the generator is runnng.

My Onan MDKD has its own dedicated charger. It also has a small dedicated alternator to top up the battery after a start.

The MDKD 8Kw does have it's own charging system.

My Onan MDKD has its own dedicated charger. It also has a small dedicated alternator to top up the battery after a start.

That's good news ! thanks ..... but I will check the battery voltage when this thing is running as was suggested, just to satisfy my curiosity ... :) Frank B.

It has a permanent magnet dynamo and what can be best described as a "motorcycle" regulator. Rather crude voltage control compared to car type alternators, some overcharge. Many disconnect them and let the charger do the job when gennie is on.

Back
Top Bottom