Old power cord question...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

firstbase

Guru
Vessel Name
Black Eyed Susan
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 42' Classic
Have ordered two new shore power cables to replace my well worn set. Was thinking about cutting down my old ones, 2 x 50', and putting new plugs on to use as spares. I cut one back two feet and found that the wires had some black corrosion on them but not bad. My concern is that the cardboard/hemp wire separators between the wires are very damp. Not dripping but obviously suffering from water intrusion. Should I keep cutting back to hopefully reach dry? If I never reach dry then scrap totally?

Hal
What amp cord? If thirty, I'd suggest throwing it away and buying new for less than $100. We replace our 30 amp every few years just because. Our 50 amp 240 volt is in great shape, I dread buying a quality new one due to cost.

Have ordered two new shore power cables to replace my well worn set. Was thinking about cutting down my old ones, 2 x 50', and putting new plugs on to use as spares. I cut one back two feet and found that the wires had some black corrosion on them but not bad. My concern is that the cardboard/hemp wire separators between the wires are very damp. Not dripping but obviously suffering from water intrusion. Should I keep cutting back to hopefully reach dry? If I never reach dry then scrap totally?
Yes, keep cutting. Wet wire translates into corrosion ar the plugs.

Ted

Thanks guys, what I figure. Both old ones are 50'- 50amp 125/250. Already ordered Marinco replacements at total of $1,300 or so. Not cheap but should last me until I move the boat on. I knew replacements would be needed so not unexpected and sort of factored in to my annual estimate. 2 50's are really too long so would like to have a couple of shorties made from the old. Will cut one further up and see if I can get to dry. Honestly doubt it though.

Back
Top Bottom