Old 02-19-2012, 03:55 PM   #1
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Not worthy of a couple of honks?

Last Friday, returning from a Richmond boatyard, I was heading toward home berth in Vallejo.* Was on the eastside of Mare Island Straight about a third of a mile from the ferry terminal.* The ferry pulled out and made a ninety-degree turn toward the exit to San Pablo Bay, headed directly toward me.* A half-minute passes.

I blow two short air-horn blasts, signaling I'd turn to port (away from the shore to the east to avoid running aground).* No acknowledging response from the ferry.* Made a twenty-degree turn*to port, regardless.* My maneuver resulted in plenty of clearance.

I'd expected the ferry to acknowledge the signal.* Is it a matter of "no*respect" or what?

It's not like the ferries are unaware.* Ferries passing me around Pt. Richmond alter course to pass around me.*

-- Edited by markpierce on Sunday 19th of February 2012 05:04:37 PM

markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 04:11 PM   #2
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
RE: Not worthy of a couple of honks?

may not have heard you...try "two whistles" on ch 13...I know that's not the way it's supposed to work...but around here if it's chilly, not to many are gonna hear a small boat horn.

psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 04:25 PM   #3
Master and Commander

My horns are LOUD: 134*dB *(range over one mile: they echo off the hills and buldings to either side of the channel).* But then again, the helmsman may be in a steel-and-glass cacoon cut off from any external audio input (doubt it/hopefully not).

-- Edited by markpierce on Sunday 19th of February 2012 05:38:38 PM
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	com jones point anchor.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	152.0 KB
ID:	10211  
Old 02-19-2012, 04:37 PM   #4
Guru

At even 1/2 mile..a little background noise drowns out a lot...

Unless a ship as an outside watch without a walkman on...that's usually the only person that will hear even your 135db horns.

It's so bad back here in Jersey...we don't even teach whistle signal in the boaters Safety course...no one understands then in the off chance they even hear them***
Old 02-19-2012, 04:38 PM   #5
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC

I'm near a busy commercial harbor with ships headed in and out all the time. The captains (or pilots) use the VHF, never the horns or whistles. They do use the "one whistle" or "two whistles" terms all the time.

The only time I've heard the actual horns is in heavy fog or one time when a tug signalled a pleasure boat with the danger signal because he didn't feel like altering his course.

In the same vein, I once had to pass a tug and barge on the ICW.* I tried to raise him on the VHF several times and he wouldn't answer.* I just picked a wide spot, hit the throttle and went on by.* With all the pleasure boats, we just negotiated on the VHF.* No whistle talk, port and starboard.

-- Edited by rwidman on Sunday 19th of February 2012 05:42:13 PM
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 04:45 PM   #6
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44

Around here the horns would get used, and listened to. Ferries ALWAYS use their horns, backing out of a terminal (3 blasts), in Active Pass (one blast, when approaching blind corners) and if anyone gets in their way (5 blasts).
In our CCGA inspections, everyone has to have a horn that works, so we test blast. We don't test operator knowledge though.
koliver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 05:09 PM   #7
Guru

Quote:
koliver wrote:
Around here the horns would get used, and listened to. Ferries ALWAYS use their horns, backing out of a terminal (3 blasts), in Active Pass (one blast, when approaching blind corners) and if anyone gets in their way (5 blasts).
In our CCGA inspections, everyone has to have a horn that works, so we test blast. We don't test operator knowledge though.
*Big difference between using your horn and someone hearing it...they usually have to try pretty hard..most small vessels make so much noise you can't hear the average horn...again unless you really try.

-- Edited by psneeld on Sunday 19th of February 2012 06:09:53 PM
Old 02-19-2012, 11:00 PM   #8
Scraping Paint

City: -

The Washington State ferries never use their horns except when getting ready to leave the slip. And they stop doing even that after dark (for noise reasons as there are houses and whatnot near the ferry slips). They blow them in fog, of course, and I have also heard them blow multiple blasts to warn a boat that was in their way. But nobody uses horns up here for anything other than fog (or testing every now and then). I would say we generally go the good part of a year between hearing anythiing blow a horn outside of fog or a ferry getting underway during the day.

Two to four ferries routinely pass or meet us on our way from Bellingham to our property in the lower San Juans and they never utter a peep, not do we, nor does anyone else even in a fairly narrow pass like Thatcher Pass or Wasp Passage.

Based on that, my guess is that the ferry that you blew your horn at possibly didn't hear you, but I would be more inclined to believe they simply didn't care about a little wee boat that was obviously not presenting any problem to them.

The photo is a routine meet for us (and anyone else who boats in the San Juans) on our way to our property.* Sometimes closer than this and in a narrower pass than this.* All that happens is the bridge crew on the ferry waves at us and we wave back.* No horns necessary or used.

-- Edited by Marin on Monday 20th of February 2012 12:10:45 AM
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	p1030748.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	128.0 KB
ID:	10215  
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 11:34 PM   #9
Master and Commander

Quote:
markpierce wrote:
... *The ferry pulled out and made a ninety-degree turn toward the exit to San Pablo Bay, headed directly toward me.*
*I had expected him to go to his starboard side of the channel.* But no, he headed directly toward me on his port, my starboard, side of the channel.

-- Edited by markpierce on Monday 20th of February 2012 12:36:40 AM
Old 02-19-2012, 11:36 PM   #10
Scraping Paint

You were a third of a mile away. By the time the ferry got to where you were you wouldn't be there anymore, unless you were heading directly toward it. Seems like a non-issue to me.
Old 02-19-2012, 11:38 PM   #11
Master and Commander

No, he continued directly on a collision course on "my" side of the channel.
Old 02-20-2012, 12:20 AM   #12
Scraping Paint

So that meant he would have steadily been altering his course to remain heading directly toward you. Seems an odd behavior for a commercial vessel, but nevertheless your horn isn't going to accomplish anything to change it. Getting the hell out of the way will. :-)
Old 02-20-2012, 12:22 AM   #13

City: South Puget Sound, WA

And perhaps the tonage rule was being applied?
Budds Outlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 04:42 AM   #14
FF
Guru

Most auto pilots that I am familiar with have no input for sound.

And while on AP not much watch is kept.

In New England 2 ferries collided in heavy fog because the same fellow programed them both.

Watch keeper ? Radar? Lookout? Yea sure.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 07:30 AM   #15
Guru

City: Saint Augustine, Fl.

Mark
A two whistle blast in Colregs (inland waters does NOT mean a turn to Port. It means "I intend to leave you on my stbd side. In open waters it does mean turning to port.
I suspect that the ferry operator doubted that your blast meant what was intended. In other words, many times appropriate signals are not interpreted by pleasure vessels correctly (as in this time). As a commercial operator for 34 years, experience tells me that if I blow a 1 whistle passage , the yacht will come by me waving hello. Right or wrong, this is my reality. WELCOME to MY World.
Sailor of Fortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 07:39 AM   #16
TF Site Team

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)

Yachties = speedbumps per my son the tugboat man.
dwhatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 08:57 AM   #17
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones

"They will get out of the way. I learned that driving the Saratoga"

Captain Ron.

SD
skipperdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 09:51 AM   #18
Master and Commander

Quote:
Sailor of Fortune wrote:
Mark
A two whistle blast in Colregs (inland waters does NOT mean a turn to Port. It means "I intend to leave you on my stbd side. In open waters it does mean turning to port.
*Of course you're right.* But to pass him on my starboard side, I had to turn to port.

-- Edited by markpierce on Monday 20th of February 2012 10:56:00 AM
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	vallejo ferry.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	166.1 KB
ID:	10218  
Old 02-20-2012, 10:14 AM   #19
Master and Commander

Quote:
Marin wrote:
So that meant he would have steadily been altering his course to remain heading directly toward you. Seems an odd behavior for a commercial vessel, but nevertheless your horn isn't going to accomplish anything to change it. Getting the hell out of the way will. :-)
*Once turning when leaving the dock, the ferry made no course alterations even though directly aimed at me.* Ferry didn't follow the rules by not*going to*his starboard side of the channel and not acknowledging my signal.* Nevertheless, I did get the hell out of his way.* I operate under the presumption*boats don't follow the rules.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:30 AM   #20
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express

Quote:
markpierce wrote:
*Once turning when leaving the dock, the ferry made no course alterations even though directly aimed at me.* Ferry didn't follow the rules by not*going to*his starboard side of the channel and not acknowledging my signal.* Nevertheless, I did get the hell out of his way.* I operate under the presumption*boats don't follow the rules.
*Come on guys. *All Mark wants to do is toot his own horn. *What's so wrong about that? *Although it could be a good idea to use the radio too.

Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote