Old 12-08-2014, 05:03 PM   #1

Non-apple tablets

Hi all, I've had ipads for some time now. I'm addicted to it's utility and frustrated by it's limitations and flakyness (sp). I'd be interested in user comments on other tablets of about the same form factor and battery life. thx Jim Slocomb M/V Sea Otter Friday Harbor

seaotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 05:23 PM   #2

City: Portsmouth, NH
Vessel Name: Misfit Toy
Vessel Model: 79' Mainship 34 MKI
I think it boils down to this:

You would be hard pressed to find something that has the build quality and simplicity of the iPad but...more than likely an Android has the flexibility on the software end that you want. I think Samsung is probably arguably equal or greater in most areas.

I love my Apple products for day to day stuff like email, web, music, etc. but when it comes down to getting something custom done, you need to get out of that platform.

Skinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 05:51 PM   #3

City: Seattle and Bellingham
Vessel Name: Klee Wyck and Libra
Vessel Model: Lowland 48 and Noordzee Kotter 52
Full disclosure: I am not at all techie but functional when in the presence of my 18 year old who is likewise impressed (see below).

I have an IPad in a Lifeproof, like its recreational potential, and use it for second line of navigation and first line of tides, current, weather, and bouy data. I am not impressed with its computing, file functionality, or software interface.
I was recently assigned a Surface (MS) as part of Board service for a large Seattle based company. I am pleasantly surprised with it excellent PC like functionality which just may be because I operate more in that world. Much better keyboard option. It will be nowhere near as durable as the IPad but a very nice adjunct on the boat. Have not yet done enough research on navigation software for this machine but will definitely use it for one of the 5 pieces of hardware that I can send a wifi signal to from my as yet to be installed AIS transponder.
Perhaps worth looking into.
Old 12-08-2014, 05:57 PM   #4
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Quote:
Originally Posted by seaotter View Post
Hi all, I've had ipads for some time now. I'm addicted to it's utility and frustrated by it's limitations and flakyness (sp). I'd be interested in user comments on other tablets of about the same form factor and battery life. thx Jim Slocomb M/V Sea Otter Friday Harbor
My main concern is the security aspects of Android devices and the fact many are released with proprietary extensions to the public domain Android release. I will not buy an Android device due to potential vulnerabilities.

The control Apple maintains over third party iPad software from both a quality, security and privacy standpoint is also a plus. But I have seen apps that do not run well.

The Android hardware I have seen from Samsung is very nice and almost up to snuff with the iPad Air II.

The Surface, with Windows 8.1, is seriously lacking in app support although the hardware is very strong. Unfortunately, Microsoft came to the table with too little, too late.
Donsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 10:14 PM   #5
Guru

City: Windsor
Vessel Name: Keeper IV
Vessel Model: 44 Viking ACMY
The Nexus products are owned by Google, the developers of Android. As such the OS is uniquely matched to the hardware. They also have true built in GPS.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Trawler

mbevins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 10:23 PM   #6
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
We are huge Samsung fans. Someone mentioning vulnerability and security weaknesses, but a reminder that iPad's have had their share as well. Also, like Surface but use more as we would a computer than as we would a tablet.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 11:57 PM   #7

City: discomfort.reactants.peanuts
I've been using Apple computers since the SE20 days back in the early 80's. Today, both my cell phone and tablet are Samsung Androids and I wouldn't have it any other way.
Old 12-09-2014, 12:11 AM   #8

City: Astoria
Vessel Name: Florence A
Vessel Model: 47' Sutton
I keep trying to go to an iphone. And every time I end up back with my samsung droid.
Tablet and phone both work well. But with that said. Each has things that they do way better than the other. So it depends on what you want to do day to day.
I like a custom ring tone for my phone. Mainly because I don't hear very well in the frequency ranges of Detroit Diesel 2 strokes. So I have a loud and obnoxious ring tone. It is a little thing but I can download probably 50 ring tones in the time it will take you to do one on an apple phone. ever wonder why when you are someplace and you hear the stock apple ring tone everyone with an apple phone looks to see if it is theirs? On the flip side- sharing a contact between an iphone and an iphone. touch touch pop done. Send it to me on my droid - I might be a week going through all the steps to get it to go into my contact list. But I digress.
Sam Sung all the way. Rock solid stuff. Android for the things I do with my phone and tablet work well. YMMV and love the apple service.
1/2 the family on samsung droid 1/2 on i phones.
BryanF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 07:05 AM   #9
Guru

City: gulf coast
Ms surface pro is a full computer in tablet form. Add the keyboard cover and there is no need for anything else. My iPad is destined for trade in. tablets are unnecessarily limited today.
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 08:23 AM   #10
Guru

City: Marathon, Florida
Vessel Name: Walkabout
Vessel Model: 1989 Sea Ray 380 Aft Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by klee wyck View Post
Full disclosure: I am not at all techie but functional when in the presence of my 18 year old who is likewise impressed (see below).

I have an IPad in a Lifeproof, like its recreational potential, and use it for second line of navigation and first line of tides, current, weather, and bouy data. I am not impressed with its computing, file functionality, or software interface.
I was recently assigned a Surface (MS) as part of Board service for a large Seattle based company. I am pleasantly surprised with it excellent PC like functionality which just may be because I operate more in that world. Much better keyboard option. It will be nowhere near as durable as the IPad but a very nice adjunct on the boat. Have not yet done enough research on navigation software for this machine but will definitely use it for one of the 5 pieces of hardware that I can send a wifi signal to from my as yet to be installed AIS transponder.
Perhaps worth looking into.
We use MX Mariner and are very happy with it. I think it was developed by a TF member.

www.mikeandsharondunsworth.blogspot.com
READY2GO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 09:31 AM   #11
Guru

City: East Greenwich, RI
Vessel Name: Bella
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 34
As others have said the Nexus 7 is an (almost) Google product, so its software is always essentially pure Android and up to date. An old (thicker and with supposedly lower resolution than today's) Nexus 7 can be bought for about $150 with 32 gb of memory which is all you will ever need.

It works perfectly as a Kindle reader as well as a decent email reader and internet browser as long as you don't have to type much of a response. Any thing over a dozen characters and I switch to a PC.

I use MxMariner as a backup chartplotter and works with its built in GPS. Works great and has ActiveCaptain data offline.

Google Maps works perfectly and if you zoom over to where you want to go, there is enough memory caching for the map detail to be there off line. It isn't a fully functional road navigation app, but it works in a pinch off line. And you can always pull up to a McDonalds or similar and go online to get more data.

The Nexus 9 has a more iPad Mini form factor if that is what you like.

Being hacked into an Android device is rare.

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 09:33 AM   #12
Ben
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Sand Castle
Vessel Model: 1986 MT Sundeck 35.5
iPad Air 2 vs. Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5

I searched long and hard. The above article lays it out - Samsung vs. iPad Air2.

Samsung Galaxy Tab a little better because of:
  1. SD card slot/expandability.
  2. Way superior screen. Larger, higher resolution, more colors.
  3. Multiple Windows open simultaneously.
For me personally, I wanted to break the chains of Apple, but not so much I got a lower-featured machine. Now I have it but cannot touch it because it is wife's Christmas present to me.

Lists for $499, but we got it for $379 on-sale at Costco.

Counting down the days...

MV Sand Castle
Wilmington, NC
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 09:49 AM   #13

City: Portsmouth, NH
Vessel Name: Misfit Toy
Vessel Model: 79' Mainship 34 MKI
I hate to say it but unless you are encrypting your voice and sending it over a HAM band, someone is listening. Apple and Android devices transmit a ton of information regarding what you look at, your GPS coordinates, who you dialed, etc. its just that Apple tends to hide it better. I wouldn't let that deter you since it realistically is out of your control. Of course if that worries you, I'd probably stay away from an iPhone 6 with a thumb reader and payment software

Even a basic flip phone send this information. A SIM card is controlled by the phone company. It talks on the baseband without the phone user even knowing. Not to sound like a conspiracy theorist but it we truly have no idea what our phones transmit and the cell companies can change it without us even knowing.

Cheers
Skinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 11:05 AM   #14
Dauntless Award

City: New York, NY
Vessel Name: Dauntless
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny View Post
I think it boils down to this:

You would be hard pressed to find something that has the build quality and simplicity of the iPad but...more than likely an Android has the flexibility on the software end that you want. I think Samsung is probably arguably equal or greater in most areas.

I love my Apple products for day to day stuff like email, web, music, etc. but when it comes down to getting something custom done, you need to get out of that platform.

I use a samsung note as cell phone and it also has all my nav programs on it,
Last year I added the samsung tablet and I love it and it has better battery usage than my cell. ANd I really like the big screen (12.2")

My only issue is that it's a bit of overkill at this point.
Find us: https://share.delorme.com/dauntless
Wxx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 05:52 PM   #15
keb

City: Portland, OR
And then there was this yesterday...

The bench testing of performance amongst several brands is interesting.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/...urce=pulsenews

Kevin
Portland, OR
keb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 07:06 PM   #16

City: Brisbane
Vessel Model: 49ft 11inch catamaran-trawler
I use a Pantech Element when on the water and most of the time at home and on the road.

They are a pretty good tablet, not as fast as some but certainly faster and with a hell of a lot more feastures than a mates ipad mini and screen res is the same.

GPS is great (works on planes) and when rooted it gets glonass as well
It has a 4g sim card slot. (But no data needed for GPS or mapping)
It has a HDMI port to plug straight into a TV for watching movies
It has an expandable memory port, so an extra 32GB card in slot
It has a USB port that reads my 64GB thumb drives
Did I mention its waterproof?

Can overpriced apple do any of the above?
if it can at what cost?

I was impressed enough to get several more of them just in case it died.
Several years on and its still working fine.
Cost less than $200 landed in Australia.
Parmenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 08:29 PM   #17
Scraping Paint

City: -
I bought the third original Apple Macintosh 128K sold in Seattle in 1984 to write my first book on. I sas going to go with an IBM PC and Micrsoft Word, but when a friend dragged me to an Apple store to see the new Mac and I saw what it could do I changed my mind.

Trivia for the day--- Did you know that the first mold for the back of the origingl Mac case had the signatures of everyone at Apple who worked on the Mac engraved in the mold surface? So when you open up the computer, the inside of the case has all these raised signatures on it, including Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak. Mine has them, but I don't know how long they continued to use this mold..

My employer (Boeing) was anbivelent at first about what kind of desktop computers people had. Some of us had Macs, some had PCs. But eventually, as the company began to do more with its intranet, it was obvious it woudl have to standardize. Not surprisingly, it standardized on PC.

But we have stayed with Apple at home and would not switch for anything. Besides the operating system being more intuitive and the apps more relevant (in my opinion), we have all our devices on the same account. So the desk Mac, my wife's iPhone (I have a company international Blackberry), my two iPads, and her iPad Mini all get the same things. So when she puts an entry into her calendar it immediately appears in all our devices. And if I get an app it appears on all our devices except the desktop Mac, although it gets loaded to the desktop's iTunes.

Now I'm sure the Google devices can do the same thing. And the people I know who have Google-powered Android phones are very happy with them.

I have noticed that the people I meet who are in a creative business--- film, video, graphics, writing, etc.--- tend to use Apple gear. The number-crunchers, finance folks, etc. tend to prefer Android and Windows-powered gear. There are a lot of people here at Boeing. for example, who have company-issued Blackberry phones (the company standard) but who also carry their own iPhone.

Boeing actually carried out a test with iPhones, issuing them to a specific organization to try out. What they found was that while almsot all the users greatly favored the iPhone, Blackberry still has the best network security of all of them. And in this industry, this is very important. So we've stayed with Blackberry.

But as far as Apple vs Android, it's probably six of one, half dozen of the other. They both have their proponents with good reasons for their preferences.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 10:49 PM   #18

City: Brisbane
Vessel Model: 49ft 11inch catamaran-trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
But as far as Apple vs Android, it's probably six of one, half dozen of the other. They both have their proponents with good reasons for their preferences.
Same same but 6 X the cost
Parmenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 11:45 PM   #19
Guru

City: Sarasota,FL/Thomasville,GA
Vessel Name: Steppin Stone IV
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Kelly Trawler 46
Send a message via Skype™ to siestakey
i think I will stick with my Commador
siestakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 12:41 AM   #20
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Maybe Radio Shack should bring back the TRS 80.

BandB is offline   Reply With Quote