Old 12-11-2014, 04:11 PM   #41

City: Portsmouth, NH
Vessel Name: Misfit Toy
Vessel Model: 79' Mainship 34 MKI
With an SSD drive, it is almost an instant on speed boot up. I like the interface too. I do long for the conventional start menu.

Then again I have my older Windows 7 machine have the Win95 appearance just to feel like I'm back in the good ol' days

Skinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 04:56 PM   #42
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
When they changed from Windows 3.0 to 3.1, I didn't like it.
When Windows 95 came out I didn't like it.
When Windows 2000 came out I didn't like it.
When Windows XP came out I didn't like it.
When Windows Vista came out I didn't like it. (actually chose to not use it)
When Windows 7 came out I didn't like it
When Windows 8 came out I didn't like it.

The other day I actually came across a computer that was still working and had Windows 3.0 running. I thought it was the most backward system I'd ever seen and wondered how we ever got by with it. Thank goodness they kept making changes and dragging me along. I guess the reality is most of us don't like change. We want the few improvements that we think benefit us, but don't touch the rest of it. Then we adjust.

But then remember when we used dial up internet and maximum speed was 56k? And now I have 105mb at home. And a VSat system or even Wifi on the boat seems slow.

BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 05:06 PM   #43

City: Portsmouth, NH
Vessel Name: Misfit Toy
Vessel Model: 79' Mainship 34 MKI
I think the main reason I dislike new (especially with computers) is the perpetual wheel of bullshit. New OS which doesn't do much compared to the old one. Yet it requires a bigger faster machine to run it. Then it gets slow with all the updates. You guessed it...time for a new OS.

Fortunately you can strip or located some hacked versions to run on old machines that are simply awesome as long as you can for go some of the setbacks like losing fancy add ins.

I remember when I was 18 I got a cell phone because I was commuting 3 hours round trip everyday to college. It was necessity in case I broke down. Not many people my age really had one. Fast forward 12 years later...my 12 year old cousin has an iPhone 4. We are all doomed!!!
Skinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 05:30 PM   #44
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny View Post
We are all doomed!!!
Wifey B: Doomed, doomed, doomed....

But I like that stuff. My man is like have to have every new thing that comes along and he corrupted me. Well, just in that regard. Otherwise I corrupted him, but back to computers and phones. I think sometimes we no longer realize the additional features but we'd freak without them. Like hubby and I rarely type, we just speak and correct. And tablets and smartphones are like God's gift to internet addicts and techie geeks. I mean seriously the topic was tablets and think back and think how super cool it is to carry around a powerful computer that weighs like 5 ounces or something. My phone will do things faster than computers would 12 years ago.

Oh and I love my Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and my Surface Pro 3. Guess that makes me bi. But the Galaxy for just carrying around and using and the Surface when I have serious stuff to do at home or on the boat. We ditched our laptops. They seem as obsolete now as the old portables that were called luggables or something like that. The big ones in boxes. I can't imagine carrying those around.

BandB is offline   Reply With Quote