Old 12-10-2014, 05:52 AM   #21
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Maybe Radio Shack should bring back the TRS 80.
Yup, the trash 80, my first computer back in I think '87.

I like my Samsung Note 8. It's always at the helm running Plan 2 Nav and Active Captain, though I use it only for hazards and warnings not for navigation.

I've never had an Apple computer, tablet or phone but am glad they were developed. We would not have our current choice of phones or tablets without them. One more example of why a free market systems works.

timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 06:52 AM   #22

City: Brisbane
Vessel Model: 49ft 11inch catamaran-trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by siestakey View Post
i think I will stick with my Commador
Obviously did not have spell check?

Parmenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 06:54 AM   #23

City: Brisbane
Vessel Model: 49ft 11inch catamaran-trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post
I've never had an Apple computer, tablet or phone but am glad they were developed. We would not have our current choice of phones or tablets without them.
Rubbish
Star trek had them way before apple thought of them

Parmenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 07:43 AM   #24
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
The Admiral and I both have iPad Air's with AT&T 4G LTE. This is my third iPad and upgrade about every two years or two model revisions. My first iPad was an iPad 1 and at the time, other tablets were mostly crap. But once you get familiar with it, there is a tendency to continue being loyal to the brand as long as they are as good or better than the others.

The first iPad got handed down to the Admiral. When she got her iPad Air, it got handed down to one of her grandkids. We sold my iPad 3. Since we use iPhones, the iPads are a natural fit. The wife also has an iMac so she is all Apple. I plan to buy her one of the new 5K iMacs and I will probably use her 5-6 year old iMac to become more familiar with OSX as I have been a Microsoft guy since MSDOS.

Prior to retirement, I worked in IT security and I know all devices including iPads have had and have vulnerabilities. The popularity of the iPhone and iPad have made them a particular target of hackers just like Microsoft has been because of Windows dominant market share. However, hackers have always found public domain software to be much easier pickings because they can see the code. I recall one commentator stating that because internet software was (and is) developed and placed in the public domain, it created a national treasure of computer hackers.

Rather than say, don't buy an Android device, I just want potential buyers to be aware of the risks. By all accounts Google has taken major steps to improve the security on Android over early releases but it is still public domain.
Donsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 10:28 AM   #25
Dauntless Award

City: New York, NY
Vessel Name: Dauntless
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
Quote:

I like my Samsung Note 8. It's always at the helm running Plan 2 Nav and Active Captain, though I use it only for hazards and warnings not for navigation.

I've never had an Apple computer, tablet or phone but am glad they were developed. We would not have our current choice of phones or tablets without them. One more example of why a free market systems works.
perfectly said

I use the samsung 12.2 A bit too big at times, but I can watch NFL Gamepass on it, so not all is lost.
Find us: https://share.delorme.com/dauntless
Wxx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 12:23 PM   #26
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Was a remarkable machine. Was really the impetus into developing programmers for PC's. There were people who could do amazing things with that computer and it's tiny bit of memory. I believe it is still the all time leader in sales for a single model of computer. It truly launched the PC movement as it proved there was a market out there. What is funny is that even pristine vintage ones have never gained great value as there are so many still around, many still working. Over 200,000 were sold. It was actually introduced in 1977 and in 1980 they were outselling Apple 3 to 1. I was 8 or 9 years old when I got one for Christmas.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 01:40 PM   #27
Guru

City: gulf coast
Tablets are out of date. Get a tablet PC that can do everything tablets can do without the tablet limitations.
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 02:03 PM   #28
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayview View Post
Tablets are out of date. Get a tablet PC that can do everything tablets can do without the tablet limitations.
Funny thing is that Dell had tablet PC's long ago and they were a dismal failure. Then Surface is introduced and there's a lot of negative talk but suddenly everyone is pushing a tablet PC.

I don't think that outdates tablets though. If I'm using it at a desk or sitting down mostly then the PC feature is great. However, for roaming around I still like the straight tablet. Tablets are also great for controlling equipment and stationing at various locations. Now, if I'm trying to do some work or spreadsheets or something of that nature then absolutely a tablet PC.

Which tablet PC do you use?
Old 12-10-2014, 02:45 PM   #29

City: Valley Springs
Vessel Name: Lollygag
Vessel Model: 1979 42' CHB Europa
We just bought two surface pro 3s for the boat. We each will have a tablet that doubles as a mirror screen for the electronics we install (soon to come.) Apple is good but at this point I don't want to learn a new OS, either apple or android. I can load all the navigation software I need and am used to using. We have enough projects going that learning new operating systems. (That said, I'm having to learn windows 8!)
Lollygag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 03:43 PM   #30
Scraping Paint

City: -
Speaking of security, the eldest son of one of my videographers was hired a couple of years ago by Google the moment he graduated with a Bachelors Degree in Computer Science. He'd developed a fascination for computers when he was five or six, and had been building his own from components since he was ten or so.

Contrary to the apparent plight of many college graduates who cannot find jobs in their field, my friend's son was wooed in his senior year by Google, Amazon, and Facebook.

He chose Google. His specialty is computing security. Google hired him at a starting salary of $100,000 a year with a $70,000 signing bonus.

I asked him recently about the cloud. His description of the cloud (which he does not use for any of his own documents, photos, records, anything) is that it's like the Wild West in terms of security and privacy. It's incredibly easy to hack into and steal stuff off of, according to him, and he feels we've barely seen the tip of the iceberg of massive security breaches and identity theft.

He told me that the cloud is a great idea operationally, but its security is next to nill at this point.

My wife and I had sort of felt this way anyway, but after talking to him we made sure every cloud connection on our wireless devices was switched off. Not that there aren't a bunch of other ways our information can be stolen but we figure one less is a good thing.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 04:06 PM   #31
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
I asked him recently about the cloud. His description of the cloud (which he does not use for any of his own documents, photos, records, anything) is that it's like the Wild West in terms of security and privacy. It's incredibly easy to hack into and steal stuff off of, according to him, and he feels we've barely seen the tip of the iceberg of massive security breaches and identity theft.

He told me that the cloud is a great idea operationally, but its security is next to nill at this point.
Anyone who lulls themselves into believing they have security in today's world is in for a rude awakening. As to the cloud, I would never maintain anything there for which security was important. Things like music or books are fine.

As to other things, when credit card processors and major retailers can't maintain security, you're subject to their shortcomings but also to issues on any computer hooked to the internet at any point. Windows is subject to problems, Android is, and Apple/ipads and iphones are. The more popular they get, the greater the number of hackers going after them.

I personally do not use my smartphone to do banking transactions and seldom use my tablets. Plus I don't maintain that information in them. I treat it as if I'm using someone else's computer. But the thing I'd most advise is have a plan in place for when everything you have gets compromised. That means a list of cards and accounts and phone numbers or a service so you can notify everyone quickly. Also bank alerts are very useful.

As to the bolded comment above, I agree 100%. So does my IT officer. So do nearly all experts. It will happen to you so just be prepared to survive and recover. The banks are doing an incredible job to try to control and limit it. In the last five years, I haven't had it happen to me but I've had at least 6 times the banks cancelled a card and gave me a new one due to risk.
Old 12-10-2014, 04:13 PM   #32

City: Portsmouth, NH
Vessel Name: Misfit Toy
Vessel Model: 79' Mainship 34 MKI
What the cloud offers is simple scalability for its clients. Need more speed or room...click...done. In a virtual world, things are simple to manage. That would have normally been a call to have an IT guy build a server, install it in your rack, and configure. Not any more. It also has multiple off site backups. Great, they have duped you with that because your information is now off site god knows where. ANYONE can intercept it at that point. If the data is going off site to another cloud, is it encrypted? Probably not even if they tell you it is.

The google guy is a very smart person, we haven't seen anything yet. Ever since the aviation industry went went to a reduction in radar coverage, they handled the increased traffic with the ACARS system. Basically your plane isn't physically seen by a radar signature. Your plane broadcasts an unencrypted digital signal on an AM freak that anyone can read and decode. All it takes is someone to block the channel with noise or transmit false data and the system is toast. We have yet to see it but give it time. A very scary system.

Watch here , at 17:25 he discusses it in greater detail. The system is pretty much how the AIS concept works. Also watch videos about 'man in the middle' computer hacks. Anyone with some skill can get a computer to intercept and relay your information and grab it. Never use a free wifi system, only use wifi that is WPA secure, and I'd go as far as not using any banking apps on your mobile. I dig this stuff because I like reading how technology works but some people would rather just take your credit card and buy something cool with it!
Skinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 06:38 PM   #33
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
There are ways to provide further security in the computer world and the credit card world but they come with a cost and with inconvenience.

Some secure government agencies rely on a credit card like device with a computer chip. They utilize 2 factor authentication. To gain access to an information system, you need both the card and a PIN. It isn't perfect but it is a significant enhancement over login IDs and passwords.

The new credit cards that are being issued have a computer chip but I don't think they are to the point where a PIN will also be required to complete a transaction. But inevitably, it will happen.

By the way, a few weeks ago, my credit card was physically hacked without obtaining one of my cards. Now the funny thing about it is I just received a new card (same card number) with the new computer chip and a new expiration date on it and I had activated it. So, in the one week time I had it, there was no way someone could have duplicated the card. That implies they were making charges with a fake card with the wrong expiration date and yet charges were honored. I am convinced there is very little checking that goes on when credit cards are processed. The bank ended up sending new cards with new card numbers and a new expiration date. The total charges only amounted to $130 and I caught it the day it happened but it is kind of scary knowing someone can make a card with just your name and card number and get away with it because some swipe processing does not verify expiration dates.

Most of the fraudulent charges were made at gas stations in states that don't require you to enter your billing zip code. One was at a Macdonalds for $15.

I had been a customer of both Target and Home Depot so I suspect one of those entities was where the hackers got my card info.
Donsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 06:53 PM   #34
Scraping Paint

City: -
Our company corporate cards are chip and pin cards. In coutries like China, Australia, South Korea, the UK, Poland, and France-- countries we have worked in over the last few years--- the PIN system is in full effect. If you don't have a chip and PIN card, some of the machines will still accept the swipe method. But more and more things seem to be going to the PIN.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 09:22 PM   #35

City: Astoria
Vessel Name: Florence A
Vessel Model: 47' Sutton
According to my card processor the USA is the last place in the world to do the switch to cards with chips. 24% of card transactions are in the US while over 50% of the fraud is in the US. One has to wonder why we have been so late to the party.
BryanF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 09:59 PM   #36
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanF View Post
According to my card processor the USA is the last place in the world to do the switch to cards with chips. 24% of card transactions are in the US while over 50% of the fraud is in the US. One has to wonder why we have been so late to the party.
Cost. Changing equipment and systems.

Now while we read about the breaches at retail, there are still breaches in all other areas too. You ever write a check, you're exposed. Very simple to use your coding and do electronic checks or print checks. You ever use a card in a restaurant you're exposed. That's one place your card leaves your sight and there have been many cases of someone taking the information. If you have a credit file, then you're exposed to identity theft. We have an incredible amount of convenience today, but it comes with risk.
Old 12-11-2014, 08:22 AM   #37

City: Galveston, Texas
Vessel Name: Howdy
Vessel Model: 52' North Pacific
I recently acquired a Surface Pro3.
This is a real Windows based computer with the ability to be a touch screen tablet.
Keyboard connects/disconnects instantly and securely.

After I got over my dislike of Windows 8 the machine is growing on me.
Much slimmer and lighter than a regular laptop.
Has USB port so can attach external storage and other hardware.
I'm liking this more every day.
ktdtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 11:56 AM   #38

City: Portsmouth, NH
Vessel Name: Misfit Toy
Vessel Model: 79' Mainship 34 MKI
I too disliked Windows 8 at first...it has grown on me. Certain aspects that you can't change with the start menu aside, it actually is a pretty decent operating system. I wouldn't hesitate to run it on a tablet.
Skinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 12:16 PM   #39
Guru

City: Sarasota,FL/Thomasville,GA
Vessel Name: Steppin Stone IV
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Kelly Trawler 46
Send a message via Skype™ to siestakey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parmenter View Post
Obviously did not have spell check?

yepper that si the one I had
siestakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 02:08 PM   #40
Guru

City: Sarasota,FL/Thomasville,GA
Vessel Name: Steppin Stone IV
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Kelly Trawler 46
Send a message via Skype™ to siestakey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny View Post
I too disliked Windows 8 at first...it has grown on me. Certain aspects that you can't change with the start menu aside, it actually is a pretty decent operating system. I wouldn't hesitate to run it on a tablet.
same here at first but getting use to it

siestakey is offline   Reply With Quote