Old 09-21-2008, 08:38 PM   #1

Nobeltec VNS 4.1

I have an older laptop that I'd like to use as a chartplotter backup, but because it has insufficient memory, it can't handle anything newer than my very old VNS 4.1. When I install 4.1 and try to run it, it loads but then returns an error message to the effect that it can't access c:\program files\Nobeltec\Charts. However, the file is present, and I've changed its attributes to enable writing to it. At this point, any attempt to just shut the program down results in an endless loop of re-starts.

My personal memory is also insufficient, because although I did resolve this problem 8 or 9 years ago, I cannot remember how. Any suggestions?

Cheers, Garrett

Legato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 10:01 AM   #2
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356
RE: Nobeltec VNS 4.1

Garret, what kind of laptop do you have? And I am assuming you are talking about RAM and not hard drive space? And assuming you are able to upgrade your RAM, you could just add more RAM to your computer. I have never done it but I do know that it is relatively simple and generally quite cheap. Troy is the resident techie on here and maybe he will chime in.

Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 10:49 AM   #3
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Bump. (This'll test the old synaptic connections)

Warning!: knuckle dragging, slope foreheaded, unibrowed, effectively illiterate computer caveman (and imac user) here.

We got our hands on Nobeltec's 4.1 and an old Compaq laptop running Windows XP, but are having some install issues.

The first disc appeared to download fine, but the charts didn't....all we get is the blue outlines of which charts are available, but no way to access them.

We put the first disc into "Visual Series"...should we have put it into "Windows Media Player 9 Series"?

There is no GPS attached yet, but you wouldn't think that would bind it up, do you?

Any tips/hints/advice?
Old 08-01-2014, 10:52 AM   #4
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Nobeltec has a key number you'll need. It prevents pirating.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 10:56 AM   #5
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
Nobeltec has a key number you'll need. It prevents pirating.
And if it's a used copy of the software you can only open it on two computers as I recall. So if the PO has already done that you might be out of luck even with the number.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 10:59 AM   #6
Guru

Ahhh, I see.

It did seem happy enough with the number/letter sequence we gave it when prompted to do so.
Old 08-01-2014, 11:12 AM   #7
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
If you can't get into Nobeltech (I used to be a sales rep for it at a electronics firm)..does the software you are looking at have something special that you need?

OpenCPN is a great free charting, plotting software that would with a $40 puck GPS and provides a lot of add ons. It's widely supported and easy to install and use.

At least think of it as a backup if you don't crack Nobeltech.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 11:24 AM   #8
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Murray,

You have to point Nobeltec to the right file to load the charts. It was a drop and drag IIRC. I can probably help you this evening after I get off work if you don't figure it out.
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 11:36 AM   #9
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayM View Post
Bump. (This'll test the old synaptic connections)

Warning!: knuckle dragging, slope foreheaded, unibrowed, effectively illiterate computer caveman (and imac user) here.

We got our hands on Nobeltec's 4.1 and an old Compaq laptop running Windows XP, but are having some install issues.

The first disc appeared to download fine, but the charts didn't....all we get is the blue outlines of which charts are available, but no way to access them.

We put the first disc into "Visual Series"...should we have put it into "Windows Media Player 9 Series"?

There is no GPS attached yet, but you wouldn't think that would bind it up, do you?

Any tips/hints/advice?
Last I remember...depending on what you bought may or may not include charts, if that's the case...you have to have a key code for each set of charts you want to unlock.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 12:24 PM   #10
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Spy View Post
Murray,

You have to point Nobeltec to the right file to load the charts. It was a drop and drag IIRC. I can probably help you this evening after I get off work if you don't figure it out.
Pretty sure I'm #3 downloading these dvd's, so may be prevented from full access. Don't they know true pirates don't use tugs?
Old 08-01-2014, 03:02 PM   #11
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Also some of the older versions required you to have a USB dongle for them to work.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 07:10 PM   #12
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
Also some of the older versions required you to have a USB dongle for them to work.

Yes that's how Nobletec Admiral works on ours. It's about the size of a flash drive.

Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote