Nobeltec/ Laptop Issues with DC vs. AC power

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Taras

Vessel Make
Currently Boatless
Has anyone experienced Nobletec software running on a laptop with DC power dropping the radar/GPS signal while running on the inverter (DC) vs. direct AC power? I have a new battery in the laptop and new house batts. Still getting bothersome signal drop of Radar and GPS signal.

Do I always need to run the genny to get this thing it work?

Any thoughts here?

Thank you

Taras

i ran mine on a inverter all the time never had a proplem it was noble tech also

My Nobeltec on a Dell has been largely trouble free for over 8 years running on both MSW and PSW inverter. I do not run radar to the Nobeltec though. It may well be your inverter causing issues, what kind of inverter and laptop?

What size or wattage output is the inverter and what type, true sine wave or modified sine wave?

Does the DROP occur ONLY when run on the inverter?

Mfgr?

How much power does the laptop draw? It's on the label at the back or on the little box in the AC power cord.

If the laptop or the other equipment gets a poor voltage then odd things can happen.

How have you connected the pieces for the signal transmission? Any questionable connections will result in trouble.

I too use a laptop, not Nobeltec, with a separate GPS, no radar, and the only time we have trouble is when the inverter, a small one, decides enough is enough.

How far away from the lap top, GPS and antenna is the inverter? If not properly shielded, the inverter may be generating excessive RF interference which is getting into the receiver. The GPS signal is very small and it doesn't take much to block it. I can cause my GPS Chart plotter to reboot by keying my portable VHF radio within a few feet of the unit. If nothing else works, try moving the inverter further away or a different inverter.

It sounds like you are dropping a network connection. Is the interface for the radar and GPS serial/USB or Ethernet? When it drops does it stay off until reset or come back on its own? I had a similar problem that ended up being a bad USB connector.

Tom

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom