Old 08-28-2014, 08:03 PM   #81
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
................ but when delivering yachts...no wake can be an issue for time, money, wear and tear, etc...etc on the transiting yacht.

I can respect marinas and most commercial establishments that obviously have history along the ICW...but I have no mercy for a new McMansion that should have spent money on a boatlift than exorbitant landscaping and a cheapo store bought or hand painted no wake sign.
What can I say?

rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 08:13 PM   #82
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
QUOTE=rwidman;261934]What can I say?[/QUOTE]
You are the champ at assuming here...I never said I made damaging wakes to these guys...I just said I have no mercy for them....they may get a little more than none.

The real reason you don't hear more about wake damage from these people is because they know they don't have a leg to stand on once they contact someone in the system that knows the law.

Again...I didn't say I was careless...just resentful that THEY can break the law...and the local bubba doesn't care.... but if I get a wake report on me...I get run down by every LE agency within radio reach....and possibly fined but usually not because there IS NO wake damage....but you are still delayed on your trip because of THEIR ILLEGAL SELFISHNESS.

THAT's the gripe...FAIRNESS to boaters...who have the ACOE on their LEGAL side...just that this is broken like other things.

psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 08:17 PM   #83
Guru

City: Biloxi Mississippi
Vessel Name: Patricia Louise II
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck
Quote:
Originally Posted by charles View Post
======

Janice,
We were apprised of your post and Pat, THE WIFE, is most appreciative that you saved that and more importantly REMEMBERED. That was quite a few years ago.

CCC and THE WIFE

Hey Charles and Pat. It's great to see you on the site!

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️
Old 08-28-2014, 08:21 PM   #84
Guru

City: Little River SC
Vessel Name: JAZ
Vessel Model: Ta Chaio/CT35
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
The common thread I see in all the no-wake zone threads is that some boaters seem resentful that someone with more money than them would build a "McMansion" on the waterway. We've seen it in this thread where people say they would slow down for a marina or business but not for private docks.

At any rate, nobody changes anyone else's mind in these arguments. The same folks will do the same things they have been doing all along. They just post to try to justify their actions.
Who are "they"? I hope you are including yourself.
windmill29130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 09:04 PM   #85
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
On my part of the ICW, many of the boats are on lifts but it's the floating docks that take a beating from the wakes. You don't hear about claims for damage because the damage is cumulative. Also, few people can just sit and watch their docks 24/7.

The thread was started about the bogus no wake signs put up by landowners and I am bothered by these as much as anyone because they make it difficult to differentiate the bogus ones from the real ones.

My wake is pretty small but I do slow down or move as far away as possible when there is an issue.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 09:47 PM   #86
Guru

Fair enough...the bogus signs are the real issue...

...but like squatting... I fear they all will become real and the ICW will ONLY be suitable for slow trawlers and sailboats....and commercial traffic will suffer which will affect funding which will affect long term dredging/improvement/marking issues.

Another legal challenge like anchoring that doesn't need to be fought on the backs of cruisers.

The issue isn't simple but it's also not just about "me".
Old 08-28-2014, 11:35 PM   #87
Guru

Signs (authorized or not) and laws proscribing wake, are usually in response to behavior inconsistent with the quiet enjoyment by others of a waterway and adjacent land.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 12:00 AM   #88

City: Cape Cod, MA or Fort Myers, FL
Vessel Name: Osprey
Vessel Model: Her Shine. Newburyport
My current vessel is not very fast, and I'm posting on a trawler forum, so I expect most of the most of other posters don't go too fast. I know I respect others and have been waked often on the ICW by inconsiderate boaters, but I have a real issue that as one poster said, it ONLY the rich land owners count! But it's a forum so......
Capecodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 06:19 AM   #89
FF
Guru

Signs (authorized or not) and laws proscribing wake, are usually in response to behavior inconsistent with the quiet enjoyment by others of a waterway and adjacent land.

We are on the Caloosahatchie and most signs are an attempt to prevent washout and shallowing.

A few are an attempt to help boats poorly secured to crap docks.

The smart folks use lifts to raise the boat 5 or 6 ft , above most wakes.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 07:37 AM   #90
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
If you wanted quiet enjoyment of a waterway would you buy on water that is managed by the government for commercial traffic and used a boating highway??? or around the corner, up some creek where only the canoes and kayakers can go?

I said earlier in my posts that I had sympathy for landowners, marinas, commercial establishments that had or need roots along the waterway.

They don't and should not need to comprise the total length making it still a viable waterway for speedy travel.

The problem is with population growth/expansion...even though the LEGAL AUTHORITIES don't seem to be granting a lot of new "no wake" zones....people are building along the waterway, putting in docks that can be damaged by wakes and then forcing the issue when clearly they should be doing it either legally or sensibly.

They are ultimately changing the nature of a resource funded for something else by their own selfish actions.

It would be no different than building along a famous whitewater rafting river and slowly but surely changing the nature of that river either physically or just flat out preventing people from doing it. In most cases the government protects the river and it's current use...but for some reason the AIWW doesn't get much attention despite a privately formed organization to help its cause.

About Us
Old 08-29-2014, 07:39 AM   #91
Guru

As the original poster my beef was with all the unauthorized no wake signs I've seen along the ICW. It makes a mockery of the real ones and causes confusion for those who want to obey the law.

That does not mean that I condone any speed one chooses where a authorized no wake zone is not established. A person entering or exiting their boat tied up along a dock should reasonably expect a passing boater to minimize their wake. On the other hand a homeowner who ties up his expensive little bow-rider permanently on his dock cannot expect everyone to show down and respect his decision to be cheap by not storing his boat properly along a highly traveled waterway with no authorized speed or wake limit.

Respect and consideration goes both ways!
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 07:47 AM   #92
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post
As the original poster my beef was with all the unauthorized no wake signs I've seen along the ICW. It makes a mockery of the real ones and causes confusion for those who want to obey the law.

That does not mean that I condone any speed one chooses where a authorized no wake zone is not established. A person entering or exiting their boat tied up along a dock should reasonably expect a passing boater to minimize their wake. On the other hand a homeowner who ties up his expensive little bow-rider permanently on his dock cannot expect everyone to show down and respect his decision to be cheap by not storing his boat properly along a highly traveled waterway with no authorized speed or wake limit.

Old 08-29-2014, 07:51 AM   #93
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post
And with that wonderful little tidbit, we feel this thread has gone far enough. Thank you for playing.