New VHF Problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oldersalt

Vessel Name
Pacific Star
Vessel Make
1990 Grand Banks 32 #834
My fixed mount VHF, which was working fine just a month ago, suddenly developed a problem. Transmission is VERY weak. A friend on his boat just a few hundred yards away could receive me, but very weakly. Reception is fine. When I switched to my handheld, there was no problem. Any thoughts on where I should start looking for the problem?
Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
Oldersalt

"Everything on your boat is broken. You just don't know it yet."

Greetings,
Mr. O. MY first WAG would be your antenna. I think VHF electronics are fairly rugged.

200.gif

My fixed mount VHF, which was working fine just a month ago, suddenly developed a problem. Transmission is VERY weak. A friend on his boat just a few hundred yards away could receive me, but very weakly. Reception is fine. When I switched to my handheld, there was no problem. Any thoughts on where I should start looking for the problem?
Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
Oldersalt

"Everything on your boat is broken. You just don't know it yet."

Agree that antenna is the first place to check. Examine the entire length of cable for nicks, sharp bends, etc. Make sure the connector is tight at the radio. If nothing turns up, check the power wires. A poor connection can cause issues when transmitting because the radio draws a lot more power at that time.

Ken

"reception is fine". If fine, then you can hear a weather channel from 50 miles away??

If so, then maybe not the antenna. I do see a lot of badly done connectors at the radio end of the transmission line.

"very weakly". Does your radio break advanced squelch normally on the friends radio or not? I've seen radios with a bad microphone element that made speech virtually impossible, but the carrier strength was normal.

Agree that antenna is the first place to check. Examine the entire length of cable for nicks, sharp bends, etc. Make sure the connector is tight at the radio. If nothing turns up, check the power wires. A poor connection can cause issues when transmitting because the radio draws a lot more power at that time.

Ken

Agree with all ......... I can see power being an issue for a longer distance but as the OP says, a few yards ..... ?? and esp. if a handheld gets through.

Be curious to know how much of a voltage drop there is at the radio during transmission.

Any new electronics added recently?

Could be the antenna. I had the same symptoms and it was the antenna. Wiring was fine. New antenna totally solved the problem.

Never did find out what was wrong with the old antenna. Listened perfectly - would not transmit worth a damn.

Back
Top Bottom