Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-13-2017, 04:48 PM   #1
Guru
 
Lepke's Avatar
 
City: Between Oregon and Alaska
Country: US
Vessel Name: Charlie Harper
Vessel Model: Wheeler Shipyard 83'
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 1,561
New VHF Numbers Coming

Story on VHF number changes and new radios in 2017. Story has a link to USCG notice.

https://www.workboat.com/news/govern...ent=newsletter
__________________
Advertisement

Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 07:42 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Blissboat's Avatar
 
City: Jacksonville Beach, FL
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Shallow Minded
Vessel Model: Shoal Cat
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 468
Absent anything to the contrary in the Workboat article, or on the linked USCG notice, presumably the changes will not affect the use of our existing VHFs. Anyone believe otherwise?
__________________

__________________
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.”
― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows
Blissboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 10:24 AM   #3
Guru
 
CaptTom's Avatar
 
City: Southern Maine
Country: USA
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,816
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blissboat View Post
Absent anything to the contrary in the Workboat article, or on the linked USCG notice, presumably the changes will not affect the use of our existing VHFs. Anyone believe otherwise?
You are correct. Seems the real change is adding the prefix "10" to those channels which are simplex in the US but duplex in the International configuration.

My take on this is that the rest of the world is figuring out that the whole duplex idea, which relies on a shore station, isn't that practical, and they want the option to "add" the functionality we take for granted.

But then again, that's only a wild guess, and I'm biased.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 10:44 AM   #4
Guru
 
High Wire's Avatar
 
City: Cape May, NJ and Englewood, FL
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,796
More change for no good reason.
__________________
Archie
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently southbound in Chesapeake Bay
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 10:55 AM   #5
Guru
 
City: Fairport
Country: United States
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 1,641
Are there still either HF or VHF marine operators anywhere in the world?
diver dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 11:04 AM   #6
Guru
 
dhays's Avatar
 
City: Gig Harbor
Country: United States
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 8,423
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Wire View Post
More change for no good reason.
What do you say there is no good reason? Do you really think that the USCG would make a change without ANY good reasons for doing it?
__________________
Regards,

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 11:28 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
bcam's Avatar
 
City: Union, WA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Touch of Grey
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 115
"Change" is the reason! You can only justify all the time spent staring out the window by producing new regulations or change in some fashion. No organization can admit that things are OK and their jobs no longer needed.
bcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 11:38 AM   #8
Guru
 
High Wire's Avatar
 
City: Cape May, NJ and Englewood, FL
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,796
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
What do you say there is no good reason? Do you really think that the USCG would make a change without ANY good reasons for doing it?
Yes I do. The reason sited in the article was the change was needed by other countries, not us.
Let's see how the USCG handles the hand-off from 16 to the new 1022 when dealing with comms with John Q Public where 99.9% of the radios wont have 1022. "Channel what???" My guess is the CG will TRY then rescind use of "1022" as a channel designation.
__________________
Archie
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently southbound in Chesapeake Bay
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 10:32 AM   #9
Guru
 
CaptTom's Avatar
 
City: Southern Maine
Country: USA
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,816
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Wire View Post
Let's see how the USCG handles the hand-off from 16 to the new 1022 when dealing with comms with John Q Public where 99.9% of the radios wont have 1022.
I'd handle it just like today. Instead of saying "switch and answer channel two-two, that's channel twenty-two", it would be "...one-zero-two-two, that's channel twenty-two." Gives them two chances to receive and understand.

I'd also say it a lot slower than the CG regulars do, if I was talking to a recreational boater who may not be familiar with the lingo and the cadence. I think sometimes they're trained too well, and say their lines so fast that you'd never understand if you didn't already have an idea what they were going to say.

Agree that this will cause far more administrative effort than any real change out on the water.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 06:10 PM   #10
Guru
 
catalinajack's Avatar
 
City: Edgewater, MD
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 918
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcam View Post
"Change" is the reason! You can only justify all the time spent staring out the window by producing new regulations or change in some fashion. No organization can admit that things are OK and their jobs no longer needed.
Baloney.
catalinajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 09:28 PM   #11
Guru
 
Capt.Bill11's Avatar
 
City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 5,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by catalinajack View Post
Baloney.
__________________

Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012
×