new transducer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Slowboat 37

I am upgrading the chart plotter on the bridge to a new Furuno 1870f. Last year i installed a new inhull ducer. However, if I want the feature of bottom discrimination and improved fish finder the ducer needs to be in contact with the water, so that won't work. The guy at the store suggested a transom mount unit but failed to tell me that it was not recommended for inboard motors because of prop turbulence. Now to my question, there is a thruhull transducer from an earlier Garmin unit that was left in place after cutting and removing the cable. Is there any reason why I can't remove it and put in a new one that gives me the functions I want with the new plotter. I am not sure on hole size yet but it seems fairly straight forward. But then so have other things that have dis-proven that line of thinking.

No reason you can't do that. There are higher powered in hull 'ducers that will do what you want as well. The Airmar/Furuno B260 series comes to mind. Not cheap though. If you got the though hull route, make sure you get one that will do what you want; just being a through hull does not guarantee that. You should ask Furuno what they recommend for your new unit and what you want from it, they are very helpful.

Thanks, I do know what thru hull will work. a very short list was provided that would give the functions I am looking for.

Back
Top Bottom