Old 07-24-2015, 01:01 PM   #1

new transducer

I am upgrading the chart plotter on the bridge to a new Furuno 1870f. Last year i installed a new inhull ducer. However, if I want the feature of bottom discrimination and improved fish finder the ducer needs to be in contact with the water, so that won't work. The guy at the store suggested a transom mount unit but failed to tell me that it was not recommended for inboard motors because of prop turbulence. Now to my question, there is a thruhull transducer from an earlier Garmin unit that was left in place after cutting and removing the cable. Is there any reason why I can't remove it and put in a new one that gives me the functions I want with the new plotter. I am not sure on hole size yet but it seems fairly straight forward. But then so have other things that have dis-proven that line of thinking.

The Great North West
Slowboat 37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 03:49 PM   #2
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
No reason you can't do that. There are higher powered in hull 'ducers that will do what you want as well. The Airmar/Furuno B260 series comes to mind. Not cheap though. If you got the though hull route, make sure you get one that will do what you want; just being a through hull does not guarantee that. You should ask Furuno what they recommend for your new unit and what you want from it, they are very helpful.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 04:55 PM   #3

Thanks, I do know what thru hull will work. a very short list was provided that would give the functions I am looking for.
The Great North West
Slowboat 37 is offline   Reply With Quote