Old 12-05-2016, 01:10 AM   #41

City: Bay Area CA
Vessel Name: Tango
Vessel Model: Nordlund Boat Co - 1978 Custom 53 Pilothouse
Thanks Simi. Yeah I think with a 5000VA inverter and enough batteries, the hws might be okay on the system.

I had the inverter priced at $2500, the panels at $2500 (about $1.25/watt, because I have yet to find the Sunpower mono 330W panel modules in the US (need 6 of them), so price is unknown), the Lifeline batteries at $4200 (padded this because my current four house gel cells are 10+ years old and I was thinking I might want to keep the current Freedom 20 Heart with the genset and a 2nd bank to use for the windlass etc as Brian has), the controller and the 702 at $800, that makes $10,000. Guess I could use cheaper batteries for the second house bank. The solar array would be replacing my second generator - I think I would move the NL genset in where the Onan is, and let the mechanic take the Onan for parts, so I presumed that reorganization would involve some wiring changes into my electrical load center/panel. I might be making too much of that. Plus 9.5% tax, misc materials, labor, and also moving some other things around, adding a Washer/Dryer, stuff like that.

The Odyssey 214ah batteries are less expensive than the 255ah Lifelines, but the installer sells Lifeline, so that's kind of what I need to use.
CraigC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 11:00 PM   #42
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
My winter/spring cruise data, posted at the start of the thread, was quite good. Once summer arrived I was curious as to how much more output I would get. Mostly from longer daylight hours and sun angle being more overhead.

I have not anchored out for days at a time that much, but do see a pattern emerging. Max output (amps or watts) is similar to when I was on the extended cruise and the atmosphere was 'normal'. That is, particulates or smog not cleaned off by some rain. Overall Ah for a day is up and typically around the cruise maximum.

But yesterday was a new high - 806 Ah generated for the day even with the controller in 'float' mode for 3:15 hours. I'm hoping for some rain and clear skies thereafter at the weekend, and plan on running the washer and dryer for a bit to 'make some space' in the battery bank for a full day of solar generation, just to see how high it can get. The SunPower 345W panels continue to be amazing!
Old 02-07-2017, 02:17 AM   #43
Guru

City: Vermont
So if my math is right, that's 10kwh extracted, or the equivalent of 5hrs at full power on your 2kw array. Does that sound right? I'd say that's really good if it's correct.
Old 02-07-2017, 04:11 AM   #44
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
With that output,the Marina will be plugging into your boat, rather than the other way around. What a great successful system.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 03:37 PM   #45
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
So if my math is right, that's 10kwh extracted, or the equivalent of 5hrs at full power on your 2kw array. Does that sound right? I'd say that's really good if it's correct.
Yes, 10.6 kWh on the Mate 3 log. It is good as max output was 1670W. With really clean sky I have seen max up to 2300W. Still, I'm pretty happy.
Old 02-07-2017, 03:40 PM   #46
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
With that output,the Marina will be plugging into your boat, rather than the other way around. What a great successful system.
As often as not I don't plug into the marina at all. I think its likely better for the panels to be working rather than 'throttled back'. Do they age prematurely if they can't fully produce what they are capable of?
Old 02-07-2017, 04:37 PM   #47
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insequent View Post
As often as not I don't plug into the marina at all. I think its likely better for the panels to be working rather than 'throttled back'. Do they age prematurely if they can't fully produce what they are capable of?
With a much more modest set of panels we only leave the power connected for particular purpose, eg. pulling down the eutectics pre cruise.
As to the benefit of using the output and "keeping them working" can the electrics experts please comment? And maybe resolve the "where does unused output go" question we touched on a while back.
Old 02-07-2017, 07:04 PM   #48
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
With a much more modest set of panels we only leave the power connected for particular purpose, eg. pulling down the eutectics pre cruise.
As to the benefit of using the output and "keeping them working" can the electrics experts please comment? And maybe resolve the "where does unused output go" question we touched on a while back.
Just a guess, but instead of generating electricity the irradiance likely ends up as heat. If so, do the panels become hot enough to prematurely age the cells?
Old 02-07-2017, 08:30 PM   #49
Guru

Brian, In the absence of the electrical hotshots coming in, I hit search. This is the most helpful article I found: electric circuits - Where does electricity go from a solar panel that is not plugged in to anything? - Physics Stack Exchange.
Another article suggested heat could result in cells, with potential damage. Which may confirm your intuitive "guess".
Old 02-08-2017, 11:55 AM   #50
Guru

City: Mt Crested Butte
Vessel Name: Artemis
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 67
Hi Bruce
As the panels make the juice , it goes nowhere till its drawn by the controller. Most controllers (mavericks etc)on reasonable installations (1KW) have very smart charging programes which do the whole thing Bulk, settling, float etc. This allows the panels to be ("on" constantly). I only turn mine off when working on the system or general wiring that would interfere with the solar system. I also have ACR units that allow the excessvoltage to be used to ensure all engine batteries are mainatined at optimal voltage as well, by the overspill from the solar. I lay the boat up for 2x3 months a year, 3 months of winter and 3 months of summer. All batteries are 100% when I return.
Martin J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 04:18 PM   #51
Guru

Martin, to paraphrase the article I found: "no demand = nothing being generated".
I like coming onto the boat, no charger connected except solar,to find batts in "float".
How do you turn panels "off"? Does your regulator have an "off" control?
I remember taping black plastic over my panels to "put them to sleep" while working on the system wiring, I probably don`t need to do that.
Old 02-08-2017, 07:11 PM   #52
TF Site Team

Bruce
I can remove the fuses, located where the panels are paralleled, to isolate them from the rest of the system wiring. I imagine your system would have fuses not far from the panels too.
Old 02-08-2017, 07:50 PM   #53
Guru

Hi Bruce
I obviously have a circuit breaker in the line and a battery disconnect.
Old 02-12-2017, 02:35 PM   #54
TF Site Team

Yesterday was hot, clear blue sky. The city was 38°C but in the Bay it was just over 31°C. Wind direction kept the solar panels shade free until mid afternoon, and my house bank was somewhat down. With about 13 hours from sunrise to sunset, and located at 34.5°S latitude it was a good test of what the panels are capable of.

Yield for the day was 942 Ah, or 11.8 kWh. Peak panel output was 130.4A or 1650W. This is about 80% of maximum possible just after some rain has cleared the atmosphere of particulates. But still very good performance!
Old 02-12-2017, 03:32 PM   #55
Guru

Sorry Brian your numbers don't add up

942ah 12volt = 78amps
130amps 12 volt = 1560 watts (1.56KW)
Old 02-12-2017, 03:38 PM   #56
Guru

City: Bayview
Vessel Name: Puffin
Vessel Model: Willard Vega 30
This is what we are getting today
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1808.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	61567
Old 02-12-2017, 03:45 PM   #57
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin J View Post
Sorry Brian your numbers don't add up

942ah 12volt = 78amps
130amps 12 volt = 1560 watts (1.56KW)
Well the numbers I quoted were from the Mate 3 log!

To clarify a bit, the house bank isn't 12V when charging, or when fully charged, its a bit more than 12V.

Your 78 figure has units of Ah/V - not A. To get average for the day divide by 13 (daylight hours) to get 72.5. The 130A (and W output) was the 'momentary' maximum panel output at around midday.
Old 02-12-2017, 04:07 PM   #58
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insequent View Post
Bruce
I can remove the fuses, located where the panels are paralleled, to isolate them from the rest of the system wiring. I imagine your system would have fuses not far from the panels too.
My fuses are near the batts served by the panels. Good idea, I had not thought of powering off the panels that way. Especially now we discovered no demand = no generation.