New Solar panels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ak-guy

Vessel Name
Troll Hunter
Vessel Make
Allweather
Just installed 2 Renogy 50 watt panels and Victron Bluesolar 76/10 controller. Panels are paralell. My boat will be anchored or on a mooring so no access to shore power. Also hope the batteries will be kept up when cruising and anchor for a few days. Our power needs are modest. There is some shading at times from antennas. So far working good.

IMG_20190412_152735280_BURST000_COVER.jpg

IMG_20190412_152859168.jpg

How did you decide on Renogy? How are the specs compared to other solutions?

Looks good.

How did you decide on Renogy? How are the specs compared to other solutions?

Looks good.

Mostly the decision was based on price and shipping options. Here in rural Alaska shipping is always a big question. Amazon Prime would ship for free via UPS 2nd Day, there is no ground option for shipping here. Direct from Renogy the shipping cost estimate was $229 UPS 2nd Day and the panels were cheaper on Amazon. I don't know how that is economical for them. Renogy seems to be a good company but time will tell.

I have some regret about buying the polycrystalline rather than monocrystalline panels as the footprint would have been an inch or two smaller in both directions but they were a little cheaper.

Last edited:
My research showed Renogy to be as good if not better than the next.

Real life tests they seem to put out to spec so what else can you ask for?.... And most installs seem to be holding up well if the reports are accurate.

I am on year 4 of hard 100W panels and am satisfied Second year on their semi flex panels...not so impressed.... but to have nothing to compare construction to. The came without tiedown points and seemed to make crackling sounds when handled just a little to easy. But they are close to or on spec also.

I've had Renology panels on my boat for 3 years now. The quality seems good and no ill effects from the salt water.

Ken

Good to hear about the Renogy. My builder suggested those and I'm having 160 watts installed.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom