Old 08-23-2011, 10:14 PM   #21
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC
New PC or iPad?

Quote:
Baker wrote:
Anyway, I can't wait for the day I walk on the airplane with just an iPad in a small pouch/carrier instead of lugging that heavy ass bag...
I've already made that jump. . . . of course I'm riding in the passenger compartment. *If I could just get my luggage down to that size, that would be great. *

Here is another thought for those looking for an on board computing system. All in one PC, Tiger Direct has it for $379
<h1>Compaq Presario CQ1-1225 Desktop PC - Intel Atom D525 1.80GHz, 2GB DDR3, 320GB HDD, DVDRW, 18.5" HD Display, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit</h1>

-- Edited by Edelweiss on Tuesday 23rd of August 2011 10:16:42 PM
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	h25-18500_gallery_03_mj.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	15.4 KB
ID:	7150  
Attached Images

Edelweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 10:36 PM   #22
Scraping Paint

City: -
RE: New PC or iPad?

Quote:
Baker wrote:
...but the hang up is mounting them...in order for them to be a class 1 device is the ability to mount them.
Don't know about Airbus planes since they have their sidestick over there*but on our planes the iPad can simply mount where we put the EFB today.* I shouldn't think it would be difficult to design a mount that will keep the regulatory agencies happy while allowing the easy attachment and removal of an iPad.

The far greater concern to me is that do I want to fly on a plane when I know the flight crew is going to be up there all engrossed in Facebook and stuff*instead of paying attention to what the plane's doing.

That dog-and-a-man flight crew is starting to look like a good idea more and more.... :-)

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 10:40 PM   #23
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC

Quote:
Marin wrote:
The far greater concern to me is that do I want to fly on a plane when I know the flight crew is going to be up there all engrossed in Facebook and stuff*instead of paying attention to what the plane's doing.

That dog-and-a-man flight crew is starting to look like a good idea more and more.... :-)
*Ain't that the truth.* Maybe even two dogs!
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 10:40 PM   #24
Guru

Quote:
Baker wrote:
I know they will eventually have approach charts on them but the hang up is mounting them...in order for them to be a class 1 device is the ability to mount them. *
They make docking ports for the IPad already. *I guess they need to develop a docking port specific to aviation and run it through the FAA approval process. *Of course the FAA approved docking port would be $20,000 instead of the $200 price for the street version?*

Larry B
Old 08-23-2011, 10:42 PM   #25
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan

Quote:
Marin wrote:
*Je---Ch----! I didn't think of that! Great point!
Codger2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 10:38 AM   #26
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
New PC or iPad?

PC? * *....been there done that. We were unfortunate enough to have the Vista program and I know Windows 7 is much better but just bailed. Bought an 27" iMac all in one and have never looked back. Have the Time Machine that automatically backs up so never even think about that anymore. 99% of all the other PC problems GONE. Just a few days ago bought my wife a 21" iMac and an iPad2. I should have bought another iPad. So Marin * ...when's the iPad3 going to become available???

-- Edited by nomadwilly on Friday 26th of August 2011 10:41:28 AM
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 10:51 AM   #27
Scraping Paint

Quote:
nomadwilly wrote:
So Marin * ...when's the iPad3 going to become available???
*From the couple of blurbs I've read in the business section of the paper, the guesstimate is early 2012.* i have not seen anything--- even speculation--- on how it will be improved over the iPad 2.

My hope is that they will give it more compuer-like functions, with more in and out connections, the ability to run "real" programs like the MS Office combo, and so forth.* Given the way the iPad is starting to be used in the real world (transportation, finance, etc.) it would not surprise me to see Apple take the iPad more in this direction.* Which woud be great for what I want it for.* I've so far had no reason to care about Facebook or Twitter or or reading People magazine on an iPad or smartphone so those capabilities of the iPad don't interest me.* But it would be great to be able to run Word and some of the other applications I use for work, on the boat, in the plane, etc.
Old 08-26-2011, 11:29 AM   #28
Guru

There is lots of speculation on the new IPad 3 software upgrades, but Apple plays it very close to the vest. *So most of what we are hearing right now are wishes and guesses. *The Wallstreet Journal reported:

*"The next generation iPad is expected to feature a high resolution display 2048 by 1536 [pixels] compared with 1024 by 768 [pixels] in the iPad 2 [for reference, the smaller iPhone 4 is 960 by 640] and Apple's suppliers have already shipped small quantities of components for the sampling of the iPad 3. Suppliers said Apple has placed orders for a 9.7-inch screen device," writes the Journal's Lorraine Luk. That more or less meshes with previous rumors, which had the iPad going hi-def.

Old 08-27-2011, 09:56 AM   #29
dvd

City: California Bay Area
Vessel Name: BOOSTER
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37

Until this disruption by Irene, I was cruising from RI to Maryland on my new-to-me boat which has a 10 year-old Garmin 2010 up on the bridge and I had my MacBook Pro down below with Polar Navy software on it hooked up to a GPS puck. That navigation software is incredibly easy to use and very convenient but the typical limitation of outdoor viewing is a pain in the butt - we kept running down below to use some of its functions. We also had an IPad on board which was equally useless outside. For any of these adapted navigation programs, is there hardware that can be viewed outdoors?

dvd
dvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 10:41 AM   #30
Guru

David

Yes, that is a problem they have never really addressed. *Viewing laptops, cell phones, *IPads and such in sunlight, there just isn't a good options that I have seen. *I've tried sun covers and shades, but didn't do much for me. *I don't have an answer for you there. *Maybe someone else can suggest something??

I am also using a Garmin Chartpoltter (a 4012) and a laptop PC driven navigation program as a backup and portable platform. I have noted some detail differences between them though. *We bottom fish a lot and have found considerable bottom detail differences. *If you're using the PC based software for cruising, no problem, but when you are trying to find underwater projections, sea mounds and rock piles, etc. there are some that don't appear on the PC program.

Larry B
Old 08-28-2011, 09:24 AM   #31
Scraping Paint

Quote:
dvd wrote:
We also had an IPad on board which was equally useless outside.
*This is one of the main reasons that, for a book reader, we chose a Kindle over an iPad.* The brighter the light around you gets, the easier it is to read the Kindle.* On a plane ride last November I was reading a Kindle, the fellow across from me was reading a book on his iPad.* The window seat woman in my row opened her window shade and the blast of sunlight that came through put an end to iPad man's reading.* But it simply made the Kindle page even more clear.

I must say I'm very impressed with the brightness of the screen on the Standard Horizon chartplotter we bought earlier this year for our small boat.* Even in bright light it is very readable.* This photo was taken on an overcast day, but a pretty bright overcast.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	cp190i 2.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	154.5 KB
ID:	7210  
Old 08-28-2011, 11:39 AM   #32
Guru

New PC or iPad?

Quote:
Marin wrote:On a plane ride last November *.... the fellow across from me was reading a book on his iPad.* The window seat woman in my row opened her window shade and the blast of sunlight that came through put an end to iPad man's reading. *
Marin
I have to laugh, on a recent flight on a 737-600 from Vancouver, BC to Toronto; there were about 100 teenage exchange students from Taiwan on board.* A few minutes after take-off, we climbed out above the cloud layer into the brilliant sun light, within minutes the students were all huddled heads under their blankets playing their video games. LOL

-- Edited by Edelweiss on Sunday 28th of August 2011 12:12:53 PM
Old 09-04-2011, 07:12 AM   #33
dvd

So we're off shore New Jersey heading south (New England to Chesapeake) when my Garmin 2010C quit reading the Blue Chart. It had the base map, but no chart data. I pulled my Mac up onto the bridge and rigged up a cardboard sunshade. Although not easy, it was readable and I sure liked it's functionality. We used it for the next several days until reaching home port. Really glad I had it onboard as a back-up. Wish I could find a primary chartplotter and display with as much to offer.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	mac.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	7366  
Old 09-04-2011, 06:35 PM   #34
Guru

I think you have hit upon it David. *Maybe you can patent your sunshade and make a fortune? *It will be like the old days of early radars with a cone viewing tube over the display.

So what did you find was the problem with your Garmin bluechart data?

Larry B
Old 09-05-2011, 06:38 AM   #35
dvd

New PC or iPad?

Even with the shade, visibility of the screen was marginal. Also, the weather was good, so I didn't have to expose my computer too much to the elements. I have looked into all-weather monitors (thinking I could keep the computer below) but they're $2-3K, so might as well buy a full function chartplotter for that money.

Apparently, a bad data card is the problem. The PO had the card (old proprietary Garmin format) for 10 years but never installed the charts. All indications were that the data downloaded OK, but nothing showed up. I have no idea how to check that memory card since it doesn't read in the only device that will accept it (my 2010C). A replacement card for the Chesapeake area would be $130-160.

I'm back to the decision point of keeping the 2010C with its old card format versus upgrading. I see that Standard Horizon dropped their prices by about 50% on the CP590. That is really tempting.

dvd

-- Edited by dvd on Monday 5th of September 2011 06:38:45 AM
Old 09-05-2011, 10:09 AM   #36
Guru

Quote:
dvd wrote:*
I'm back to the decision point of keeping the 2010C with its old card format versus upgrading. I see that Standard Horizon dropped their prices by about 50% on the CP590. That is really tempting.

dvd

-- Edited by dvd on Monday 5th of September 2011 06:38:45 AM
I hear you!! *The manufactures keep upgrading their units every year, so your new plotter is obsolete in one year. *Like PC's, the product support for your data format also goes away in two or three years as well. *You end up on Ebay trying to buy map updates in a format that your plotter can read.

I was just looking at WMJ Marine, they have a Garmin 4212 (factory reconditioned) for $1600, 12" display, full warranty, the best price I've seen so far. *Used units run around $2100.

Old 09-05-2011, 11:36 AM   #37
Veteran Member

The good, the bad and the ugly of PC sunshades.

For reasons listed elsewhere, I am a PC guy.* If you have the budget for large format dedicated sunlight viewable displays, go for it.* If not, here was my workaround as constructed by TAP Plastics.

Send a*e-mail for a pdf of the specs.* The hood fits a small format laptop, in my case, a 12.5" x 9" HP Pavillion.* I use a car adapter plugged in on the flybridge so that the screen is bright enough to read.

cheers

Attached Images

Penny Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 07:08 AM   #38
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356

Quote:
Marin wrote:Baker wrote:
...but the hang up is mounting them...in order for them to be a class 1 device is the ability to mount them.
Don't know about Airbus planes since they have their sidestick over there*but on our planes the iPad can simply mount where we put the EFB today.* I shouldn't think it would be difficult to design a mount that will keep the regulatory agencies happy while allowing the easy attachment and removal of an iPad.

*Well I am not totally clear on this but it seems we will be the first to employ electronic charts as well thru a Jepp App...I forgot the name. *Still don't know how they will be mounted. *I *know you make it seem simple but it is never simple(or cheap) when the FAA is involved. *I think the mentioned $20k for the mount is likely on the cheap side. *Our main display units(LCD???) are $130k!!!!....for a TV screen. *Anyway, blah blah....

Baker is offline   Reply With Quote