Old 04-04-2017, 05:16 AM   #1

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Silver
Vessel Model: Helmsman 31
Is this the BEST cell amplifier?

Anyone have any experience with this cell amp? Provides all carrier compatibility. I was looking at a Shakespeare combo unit, but I get the feeling it compromises - but maybe not. I have tried a cheap cell amp on land (this isn't cheap) before and had poor results, but maybe they work better now.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Drive 4G-M Marine Signal Booster Kit
Attached Thumbnails
weboost_4g-m-marine.jpg  
dw8928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 05:41 AM   #2
Guru

City: Sydney
I've never had any luck with cell amplifiers I gave up and purchased a Satellite Phone for use where my cell phone gives up. There are many locations where I cruise that will never have cell coverage so I think its a good investment

And my sat phone works when away from the boat which is a massive bonus
gaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 05:50 AM   #3

Yes but you live in Australia where admittedly the women are prettier, but the country is the size of the USA with a population slightly less than Texas. What is going on down there?!

If you are not careful, New Zealand is going to catch up. And the last thing we need is a nation full of folk who look like Peter Jackson.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaston View Post
I've never had any luck with cell amplifiers I gave up and purchased a Satellite Phone for use where my cell phone gives up. There are many locations where I cruise that will never have cell coverage so I think its a good investment

And my sat phone works when away from the boat which is a massive bonus
Old 04-04-2017, 02:42 PM   #4

City: Toronto ON
The couple who run this site have just made the jump to boating:
https://www.rvmobileinternet.com
A geeks paradise of reviews and news for staying connected off the grid.

RB
Roamer Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 06:48 PM   #5
Guru

City: Bellingham WA
Vessel Name: Hatt Trick
Vessel Model: 45' Hatteras Convertible
I have a Wilson cell booster that usually gains us a couple bars. I've been happy with it. Like Gaston, I also have a Sat phone...mine is an Iridium. We use it in Alaska when we're out of cell range. Also an excellent product.
Ken E. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 10:54 PM   #6
Guru

City: Sitka
Vessel Model: Transpacific Marine Eagle 32
Another vote for Wilson electronics, also use a delorme, better and cheaper then sat phone
Old deckhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 01:27 PM   #7
dvd

City: California Bay Area
Vessel Name: BOOSTER
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
We used that unit on our powercat for a year or so on the East Coast with decent results. When reception was poor, we could usually get an improvement by getting closer to the interior antenna. We had signal from FL to New England, through the NY canals, Great Lakes & even up in Georgian Bay and North Channel. It's the only unit I have used, so can't compare.

We took it off of the powercat when we sold it and I am in the process of installing it on our Nordic Tug right now.
dvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 07:38 PM   #8
Guru

City: Gooding ID/Wrangell AK
Vessel Name: Silver Bay
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42-002
I'll will be putting in a WeBoost 4G-M with a marine antenna I bought separately for $317 on Amazon and coupled with a marine antenna for $122. Won't be able to test it until May but we will see. We get to a lot of places with one bar on one side of the anchorage and none on the other. We will see what happens in those locations.

Tom
tpbrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 11:51 PM   #9
dvd

Got the unit installed this afternoon and some casual testing while sitting in the marina showed an increase of 1-2 bars (from 3 to 4-5) on my phone. I installed the interior antenna in the overhead console of the pilothouse and that's where I tested it -- I failed to try out the range on the boat, I should have tried the same maneuvers in the salon & forward cabin...
Old 04-10-2017, 02:01 AM   #10

what I really care about is the cellphone's internet connection. I want the hotspot data coming through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvd View Post
Got the unit installed this afternoon and some casual testing while sitting in the marina showed an increase of 1-2 bars (from 3 to 4-5) on my phone. I installed the interior antenna in the overhead console of the pilothouse and that's where I tested it -- I failed to try out the range on the boat, I should have tried the same maneuvers in the salon & forward cabin...
Old 04-10-2017, 10:18 AM   #11
dvd

Although we did use this booster with our Verizon MiFi while cruising the East Coast, there are other possibilities as well if internet access is a high priority. Check out this blog post for another option...

dvd
Old 05-30-2017, 09:07 AM   #12

City: Green Cove Springs, FL
Vessel Name: Avocet
Vessel Model: Great Harbour N37
We use the Wilson Extreme 4G setup. Very pleased. We streamed Netflix regularly while doing the Loop with an unlimited unthrottled mifi.