Old 12-14-2013, 05:20 PM   #21
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Vancouver Shipyards Custom Aluminum 52
Don't know, yet. Haven't put 'em in yet, but as they all come out of the same factories in the same (Asian) countries, why not buy them at the source? If they were made in US or Canadian factories, I would be more willing to pay higher prices, but as they are not, no way.
Besides, I'll bet Superbright is a drop shipper, has minimal employees and buys all its stock from Asia. They must be clever businessmen to get so many of us to buy those items at such a high price with only a website, selling the products higher than a brick-and-mortar marine store; why do you think my LEDs will be any shorter-lived than yours? Is it because I spent $10 for my 20 and you spent $500? I sincerely hope your bulbs do last longer than mine because you'll be out $25 for a failure and I'll be out $.49.

Xsbank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 05:33 PM   #22
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xsbank View Post
Don't know, yet. Haven't put 'em in yet, but as they all come out of the same factories in the same (Asian) countries, why not buy them at the source? If they were made in US or Canadian factories, I would be more willing to pay higher prices, but as they are not, no way. Besides, I'll bet Superbright is a drop shipper, has minimal employees and buys all its stock from Asia. They must be clever businessmen to get so many of us to buy those items at such a high price with only a website, selling the products higher than a brick-and-mortar marine store; why do you think my LEDs will be any shorter-lived than yours? Is it because I spent $10 for my 20 and you spent $500? I sincerely hope your bulbs do last longer than mine because you'll be out $25 for a failure and I'll be out $.49.
Oh, I'm just wondering, wasn't insulting you or anything. But believe it or not some Chinese factories have quality control. also do you have a link where you got them?

Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 05:34 PM   #23
Guru

Quote:
Don't know, yet. Haven't put 'em in yet, but as they all come out of the same factories in the same (Asian) countries, why not buy them at the source? If they were made in US or Canadian factories, I would be more willing to pay higher prices, but as they are not, no way. Besides, I'll bet Superbright is a drop shipper, has minimal employees and buys all its stock from Asia. They must be clever businessmen to get so many of us to buy those items at such a high price with only a website, selling the products higher than a brick-and-mortar marine store; why do you think my LEDs will be any shorter-lived than yours? Is it because I spent $10 for my 20 and you spent $500? I sincerely hope your bulbs do last longer than mine because you'll be out $25 for a failure and I'll be out $.49.
Oh, I'm just wondering, wasn't insulting you or anything. How do you know they get them from the same factories, do you work for them? But believe it or not some Chinese factories have quality control. Also do you have a link where you got them?
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
Old 12-14-2013, 07:28 PM   #24
Guru

City: Gloucester, MA
Quote:
I just bought 20 of those for .49 each. Considering they are pennies to make, $25 each definitely is paying for somebody's pension.
Where did you get them?
Old 12-14-2013, 07:54 PM   #25
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Vancouver Shipyards Custom Aluminum 52
Sorry, no offence taken or intended!

I remember paying $3300 for a desktop computer that had 2 floppy drives and no hard drive, in 1985. Or CD players, cell phones, LED TVs... I see LEDs exactly the same way, the products are in the "windfall" stage of development and subsequently are changing and evolving. The LEDs I got for my garden lights are just about shot now, after about 3 years, and they were advertised to go 50,000 hours which is about 5.7 years of use. Mine have done about a fifth of that. I expect that the $25 LEDs are priced like that to allow for returns and failures, which I think will be prodigious. I bought some tail-light bulbs for my old Porsche and they didn't last 6 months.

I think that most sellers expect failures but they think (like I do) that they are not worth the buyer's time to return them to an online seller, so they just toss 'em.

eBay (hope I don't get into trouble for mentioning that!). Good luck!
Xsbank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 09:22 PM   #26
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
From my research....not all LED lights are created equal...depends on how the voltage is regulated...supposedly the ones that actually last do cost quite a bit more.

....the real discussion is ....for easy to access fixtures is the price difference worth it?????...in places like top of the mast anchor lights...maybe the cost difference of $24 if the bulb actually lasts 50,000 hrs may be worth the burden of changing out cheaper ones that only last the year or so.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 10:07 PM   #27
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
LED lighting has dramatically cut our DC power consumption at anchor. With replacement bulbs for almost all incandescent bulbs at a reasonable price, it is an easy inexpensive conversion. Some are better than others. Some will dim.
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 11:28 PM   #28
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
I'm sure you'll like them, N4712. I bought 30 element LEDs like that for the ER and am very pleased with the new current draw and the lighting. Wish I did it sooner.

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 11:34 AM   #29
Guru

City: Montgomery, TX
Vessel Model: None, but looking
Did I miss the source for the $.49 LEDs?

Bob
BobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 03:34 PM   #30
Guru

City: Port Orchard, WA
Vessel Name: Violet A
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42
Someone said not all LED's are created equally. If you want to educate yourself about LED's read this:

http://ep.yimg.com/ty/cdn/yhst-54258...diotsGuide.pdf

Ron
windmist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 11:50 AM   #31
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
I'm sure you'll like them, N4712. I bought 30 element LEDs like that for the ER and am very pleased with the new current draw and the lighting. Wish I did it sooner.
Yeah, between the whole boat being incandescent and halogens we drew WAYY to many amps.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
Old 12-18-2013, 03:26 PM   #32
Guru

City: Carrabelle, FL
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: '05 Mainship 40T
Anybody have a source for a replacement LED bulb for our mini fluorescents? They make up the bulk of the lighting on our boat.
Dougcole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 03:35 PM   #33
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. D. Now THAT'S a good question. There are very few incandescent bulbs on our vessel. Most cabin lights are 18" fluorescent. Would REALLY like a white/red for the lower station if travelling after dark. Thanks.
Old 12-18-2013, 03:54 PM   #34
Guru

Here are two footers. Not sure of the voltage though, they probably won't work. http://www.ledglobalsupply.com/t8-le...e1387399997524

Another way you could switch them to led is to buy these little strips and hard wire them.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-x-30cm-Wat...item3f24ee6290
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2843762812.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	25865  
Attached Images

Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
Old 12-18-2013, 04:30 PM   #35
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. 4712. Thanks, information filed. Gadzooks, I could even use one of the second ones for the dog! Hound bling?
Old 12-18-2013, 04:58 PM   #36
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Quote:
Originally Posted by N4712 View Post
Here are two footers. Not sure of the voltage though, they probably won't work. 24" T8 LED Fluorescent

Another way you could switch them to led is to buy these little strips and hard wire them.
4 x 30cm Waterproof 15 1210 SMD Flexible LED Light Lamp Strip White DC 12V | eBay
The 2 footers need AC voltage between 85 to 285V AC to operate, no DC.

I'm not sure the strips will be bright enough. The web site doesn't reference the lumens but for $5.40 and free shipping, why not?

Here's a link for a conversion. I'm finding the Rver's seem to be a head of us boat types in LED lighting sometimes.

WanderMan: Convert Fluorescent Lights To LED Dual Use
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 05:15 PM   #37
Guru

For my fluorescents...I bought a 15 foot roll of the brighter LED tape for like $13....

I cut it into 8-1 foot lengths and put 2 per light fixture....tie wrapped them up as the tape sticky is a little weak.

Had enough to do a small one in the galley and still have a 6 foot that I plan to use on one side of the engine room.

The 2-1 foot sections per fixture in the saloon are now about twice as bright as before...I figured $13 and a couple hrs of my time was worth it till I redo the entire saloon overhead and just use new fixtures.
Old 12-18-2013, 05:19 PM   #38
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
For my fluorescents...I bought a 15 foot roll of the brighter LED tape for like $13.... I cut it into 8-1 foot lengths and put 2 per light fixture....tie wrapped them up as the tape sticky is a little weak. Had enough to do a small one in the galley and still have a 6 foot that I plan to use on one side of the engine room. The 2-1 foot sections per fixture in the saloon are now about twice as bright as before...I figured $13 and a couple hrs of my time was worth it till I redo the entire saloon overhead and just use new fixtures.
When you redo your salon what fixtures are you going to use?
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
Old 12-18-2013, 05:30 PM   #39
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by N4712 View Post
When you redo your salon what fixtures are you going to use?
too far down the road still...by the time I get to it...hopefully the ONLY fixtures on the market will be LED...
Old 12-18-2013, 05:47 PM   #40
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
too far down the road still...by the time I get to it...hopefully the ONLY fixtures on the market will be LED...
Ohhh.

Nordhavn 47 Hull #12