New Genset suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bwalz

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
5 O'Clock Somewhere
Vessel Make
2016 Beneteau Swift 30
We unfortunately have to replace our Kohler 8 kw generator (285 hours) due to head gasket, warped head, scorched pistons ,etc after the oil sample only told us 1% glycol and minor water in it before we purchased the boat two weeks ago. There was no coolant in it at all! Where it was mounted in our Mainship 400 it was impossible to check fluid levels without dismantling nearly half the aft section of the boat.
I'd appreciate any suggestions for replacement makes since Kohler has fallen from my graces of late. I spoke with a broker yesterday that has had the same symptoms with the last two boats he surveyed.

Westerbeke seems a quality product for it's price.

The gold standard is Northern Lights isn't it?

because the price you pay for them?...

I'm curious why people think they are so much better than sets like Westerbeke that run for 20-30 years/10,000+ hours without major issues or even that many minor ones.

I am a Northern Lights fan also. What ever you get make sure you have good access to all the service points and fluids. Might need to relocate it or something to make sure you can access everything. Sorry this happened to you so early into your new boat.

We have the Westerbeke now and it works well. I have had few problems with her but have got them resolved. We had the NL on the previous boat and were pleased also. No issue with either one of them.

because the price you pay for them?...

I'm curious why people think they are so much better than sets like Westerbeke that run for 20-30 years/10,000+ hours without major issues or even that many minor ones.

Uggg......I have a westerbeke...great generator...

Salvage

We're in Norfolk. Is there any salvage value to the Kohler with 285 hours??

How much do you think you'll use a generator and for what? Maybe try a Honda 2000 to see if you really need one. Spending $14K, plus sound shield, plus installation, is a lot of boat units. I'm sure you've given some thought on a replacement model and where it's service points are. The Northern Lights are all on one side as I believe the Westerbeke's are also.

We're a Northern Lights fan having owned 2. Their reliability, dealer network and parts availability, in areas that we have cruised, has been a big plus.

Generator use

Larry,
I think we'll use it quite a bit since we plan on "gunk holing" the majority of the time cruising the Bay and the ICW.

Larry,
I think we'll use it quite a bit since we plan on "gunk holing" the majority of the time cruising the Bay and the ICW.

So much for that idea then. :whistling: Ask around your home marina for who has the best service and reputation for any of the major 1800 rpm generators. It may make life simpler down the road. :)

We unfortunately have to replace our Kohler 8 kw generator (285 hours) due to head gasket, warped head, scorched pistons ,etc after the oil sample only told us 1% glycol and minor water in it before we purchased the boat two weeks ago. There was no coolant in it at all! Where it was mounted in our Mainship 400 it was impossible to check fluid levels without dismantling nearly half the aft section of the boat.
I'd appreciate any suggestions for replacement makes since Kohler has fallen from my graces of late. I spoke with a broker yesterday that has had the same symptoms with the last two boats he surveyed.

Seems like if difficult access and lack of service is the underlying problem, the brand of replacement probably doesn't much matter. Can't imagine any other brands doing all that well with no fluids...

Sounds like replacement choice is an easy issue; eeney, meeney... rock/paper/scissors, whatever. Also sounds like if the access for service isn't improved the same problem will reappear no matter who won the coin toss.

-Chris

We're in Norfolk. Is there any salvage value to the Kohler with 285 hours??

There can be. Or you might be able to do a trade out where you give some one your old Genset for getting it out and installing the new one.

We just went through a generator replacement three years ago.

A new 8KW Westerbeke was quoted at $8400

A new Northern Lights 9KW was quoted at $12,400.

Both are good generators.

The Northern Lights is quieter. Actually the NL is the quietest generator in its size range.

The voltage regulation is more accurate being a electronic type, but not so much more accurate that anybody would notice.

The generator end on the Northern Lights is a Marathon brand unit. Nothing wrong with the Westerbeke though.

I bought the Northern Lights.

My vote goes to Northern Lights, great gennies.

Seems like if difficult access and lack of service is the underlying problem, the brand of replacement probably doesn't much matter. Can't imagine any other brands doing all that well with no fluids...

Sounds like replacement choice is an easy issue; eeney, meeney... rock/paper/scissors, whatever. Also sounds like if the access for service isn't improved the same problem will reappear no matter who won the coin toss.

-Chris

You nailed it Chris. Overcoming Mainship's bad layout design is job one.

But, tho previous owner knew what was going on so I'd suggest a thorough servicing and trouble shooting of the engines and related cooling systems to get the vessel to perfect go forward status.

We have a Northern Lights now for 15 years (5.5kw), works flawlessly since new. You might find you could go with a smaller unit like a 6kw and run most of what you would need, smaller foot print, reduced weight and lower cost to a 9kw unit.

Generator access on our Mainship 350 is the same as the OP - AWFUL. There really is no other place to mount a genset on these boats except under the cockpit floor between the two water tanks. I would suggest downsizing your next genny to make access to it a bit easier. A 4 or 5kw would be more than sufficient. We have the 8kw now and there is no way we ever need that much power. We also have a Honda which never fails and does a super job charging our battery bank and as a backup to our main set.

Smaller is something to consider. Basically comes down to whether you intend to aircondition at anchor (also possibly an electric oven. With a Krogen 42 with two large chargers (135 amps and 105 amps) and an electric water heater (1500 watts) plus ac/dc refrigerator and freezer) we have a hard time fully loading our 8 kw. When I was considering whether to repair or replace last year I was seriously considering downsizing to a 6kw unit.

If you are going to be cruising far afield, then getting one of the big brands (Onan, Kohler, NL, Westerbeke) makes a lot of sense. If not, and you have a local dealer, then one of the value brands such as NorPro or Phasor, both of whom have many happy customers, are worth looking at. I wouldn't be so down on Kohler, as someone said no brand is going to do well without fluids.

Western Branch in Portsmouth is a Westerbeke dealer; you might start your search with them. I have had good experience with them here in NC since they took over from Covington and have heard good things about them from other Detroit Diesel owners up in VA. I can get you a number for a Kohler rep here in the area who I've known since his many years at Hatteras and Jarrett Bay, may be the kind of guy who can cut you a deal and advise on the value of your old set.

That Kohler is a Yanmar 3TN engine. Should be completely fixable for a couple $k.

If you replace it, probably can go with a 5kW. Buying tips: 3cyl, 1800rpm, no computer. Norpro, Phasor, Westerbeke, N lights fit the bill. Onan, Kohler have computers.

I was lucky to be able to use a local Marine Generator dealer to recondition my old Northern Lights 4.5 KW. I was three weeks doing that job, and from what I saw come in that dealer, I doubt that I'd trade my Northern Lights for any of those other brands. The Marathon windings are a work of art in comparison to the others I saw there. They told me they rarely see a Northern Lights, Westerbeke once in a while, but really make their money off Kohler, Onan and a host of other off brands.

Is there a way of replacing just the engine component? Seems to me that the actual generator end should be fine. Cummins makes small diesels for generators. Talk to a Cummins dealer, there's one in Kent Island, MD. The placement issue must be dealt with, unless there is a way to remote the fluid accesses. Howard

really make their money off Kohler, Onan

A lot of that of that is due to the installed base being much higher.

BTW, NorPro would be considered an "off brand" and has used Marathon ends over the years. Marathon is not exclusive to NL.

Northern Lights are now using Marathon gen-ends? I thought they used Taiyo.

Thanks to all for your suggestions. What a great forum for a new owner!!!

Northern Lights are now using Marathon gen-ends? I thought they used Taiyo.

They were.

Can't say for sure all models but NL is now marathons biggest customer.

But, tho previous owner knew what was going on so I'd suggest a thorough servicing and trouble shooting of the engines and related cooling systems to get the vessel to perfect go forward status.

Great advice in this thread but the above is a nugget of pure wisdom. Search the forum for a thread started by username Bligh. He recently purchased a Nordic Tug that surveyed great. That thread is a true clinic on how to go through a new to you boat.

I have had a Westerbeke, Onan, and Northern lights.
NL hands down, you get what you pay for. It's easy and simple to maintain and are bullet proof and require no Zincs.
Just my POV
Capt Don

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom