New Genset suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am a Westerbeke 7.7 KW owner. It's a good running unit. But, Westerbeke is really close to the vest about who supplies their engines. They would like you to believe they build them but they don't. Some are Perkins, I guess mine is a Mitsubishi, but don't know for sure. Parts are very available but priced like they are made of gold. I needed a circulation water pump ( antifreeze ) a year or so and the price was way beyond reasonable. It was available though. I tried finding an agriculture or small equipment Mitsubishi replacement. And eventually decided my time and risk that it wouldn't fir were worse than the cost. About $400 if I recall. I chose my time over my money after a fair amount of research. It turns out the little 3 cal Mitsu is a common engine in a number of compact tractors, refer nuts, and the like. I would think you could replace your Yanmar with something from the commercial market for not a whole lot of $$$

Since the cost of a new genny is just part of the pie

I think I would replace the engine on this one and not have to go through the complete removal and rigging of a different unit. 280 hrs is nothing on the rest of the unit.

I think we'll use it quite a bit since we plan on "gunk holing" the majority of the time cruising the Bay and the ICW.

The question is hardly if you will anchor out, it is how large your power requirements actually are.

Regardless of the noisemaker, install a SOC meter first.

If you cook with propane , switch to LED lighting and use HW from an engine loop , your power requirements will be quite low,ONLY IF you bight the bullet and get a really modern 12v reefer setup.

Only time the little Honda would have a problem is it can only operate one air cond at a time.

I would borrow one and go cruise for a week.

I think I would replace the engine on this one and not have to go through the complete removal and rigging of a different unit. 280 hrs is nothing on the rest of the unit.

That probably the most reasonable idea!

If the engine is a Yanmar (or Kubota) take the engine off the gen head and go to the local big truck reefer shop.

They rebuild the units , and also sell good running takeouts.

3 running engines for a grand or so might solve your requirements for quite a while.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom