Old 10-29-2014, 08:43 AM   #1
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Furuno/ Airmar 200wx

Does anyone know if a Furuno NN3D MFD will recognize the 200wx as a valid heading source?

Also does anyone have a 200wx, if so do you like it?
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 09:25 AM   #2
Guru

City: Seabrook Texas
Vessel Name: TheVenture
Vessel Model: 1985 Bestway Labelle Sundeck 40ft
To be clear I do not have either. The Airmar weather station says it has NMEA 0183 and 2000 communications. So the only remaining question is will the Furuno MFD make use of the words that the weather station spouts? If the weather station provides a heading in the right words the Furuno should see it.
obthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 11:04 AM   #3
Guru

City: Campbell River
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001
We have a 200wx on Blue Sky, connected to our Simrad NSE12. I don't know how it would work with the NN3D as the primary heading sensor, if that is your question. We did have it connected to our Navnet 2 system on our previous boat and it worked well, although we had a separate heading sensor for the AP and radar overlay functions.

I am a big fan of the 200wx. Knowing the true windspeed and direction, plus air temp is very helpful I find. The other parameters, roll, pitch, rate of turn, and barometer are nice, but not that important for me.

One difference I noticed when we moved the wx from the Navnet2 to the Simrad: the wind direction on the Furuno was shown in degrees relative to the vessel heading, eg 30 degrees to port. Meaning that you still had to mentally calculate that against the vessel heading to know the true wind direction. The Simrad simply shows the true wind direction.
The NN3D may give the true wind direction directly, I don't know.

But yes, we are very happy with it.
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 12:06 PM   #4
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Conrad thanks for the input. Was kinda hoping it would work as a primary compass for all things N2K, and one day might transfer and feed the compass data from the 200wx if possible.

If it can it would be a great as it kills a bunch of birds with one simple cost effective stone.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 12:43 PM   #5
Guru

City: Campbell River
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001
Quote:
Originally Posted by N4712 View Post
Conrad thanks for the input. Was kinda hoping it would work as a primary compass for all things N2K, and one day might transfer and feed the compass data from the 200wx if possible.

If it can it would be a great as it kills a bunch of birds with one simple cost effective stone.
Yes, that would be nice for sure. On Blue Sky, which is all Simrad, we have a dedicated heading sensor for the AP28 autopilot and a separate GPS/compass heading sensor antenna for the chartplotter/radar overlay function. We found that even using the AP heading sensor for the radar overlay was problematic so kept the functions separate. As I recall though, on our Navnet2 we only had the one heading sensor for all functions and it was fine.
We did discuss with the technician the possibility of using the wx heading sensor as a backup on the Navnet2, and as I recall it was possible, but can't remember if it was an easy switch or not.
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote