Old 02-15-2016, 01:51 AM   #1
Guru

City: North Vancouver
Vessel Name: Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
New EPIRB?

I have the ACR Globalfix, product no. 2744. The battery is due for replacement. When we purchased our vessel we registered the unit in Canada and had our particulars programmed. The outfit that reprogrammed the unit indicated that we should eventually consider replacing it with an updated unit. Thoughts?

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum
JDCAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 06:55 AM   #2
Guru

City: Niceville, FL
Vessel Name: At Last
Vessel Model: 1990 Jefferson 52 Marquessa
Interested to see if there is a consensus. With all the new Delorme and other products I wonder if they make the EPIRB not as required. I am in the same boat of getting a EPIRB but I wonder if the SPOT or Delorme In Reach is a good alternative?????
Rogerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 07:13 AM   #3
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
I'd replace it. You can get a new ACR 2831 for less than $375 (US) that has a 10 year battery and is user replaceable.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 07:29 AM   #4
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
with advances in GPS over the last 5 years or so, the lock to location is probably so much better...worth it right there in my book.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 04:44 PM   #5
Guru

City: La Conner Wa.
Vessel Name: Sea Fever
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH
You might consider on of the smaller units made by ACR. It's small enough to go into your pocket or keep in a "ditch bag". Now if your boat goes down and you abandon ship, you have the EPRIB with you, and search and rescue can pinpoint where you are and not your sunk boat. I keep mine strapped to my life jacket. Also, you can take it with you on hikes. Only draw back might be that you need to manually activate it. I think you'll find a new battery for that old unit is nearly as much as a new unit.
Russell Clifton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 05:12 PM   #6
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
For near shore work, PLBS are fine..big water and an EPIRB is a wise move for their slightly better performance numbers.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 07:00 PM   #7
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
When we purchased "Gumby"(cold weather immersion suits) we decided to go with 2 ACR ResQLink+. The choice of a single epirb for the boat or two PLB for the same price was the way we went.

The PLBs are attached to our suits, that way if for some reason we become separated, they can find the Admiral and my body on the rocks!!
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 07:49 PM   #8
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
I'd replace it. You can get a new ACR 2831 for less than $375 (US) that has a 10 year battery and is user replaceable.
Thanks for this Larry. I priced this unit locally and was quoted something north of $850 Cdn! I will phone Artex tomorrow to get to the bottom of it but they are much more expensive up here. I may be able to have it sent to a mailbox in Point Roberts and get it programmed up here but I need to see if that is feasible from the standpoint of government regulations or other issues.

Jim
Old 02-15-2016, 10:47 PM   #9
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
Price check!
Even in Australia where we are often slugged high prices, most of the EPIRB's are under $300 now and include GPS. They are mandatory safety equipment here once you get into open waters. Even for tenders that might at times be more than 3nm from the mothership. So I have 3. One for the OA, one for the RIB and a personal one that is with my lifejacket. The personal ones are not sufficient, in a regulation sense, for meeting the mandatory requirement for boats.

I have one ACR unit that will need a battery all too soon and likely I will simply replace the whole unit as the battery replacement is expensive. The other one is GME with 10 year battery. Likely I will not be buying any more ACR units.
Old 02-16-2016, 10:42 AM   #10
Guru

I phoned Artex this morning and the Rep told me that there should be no restrictions bringing them across the border and having it reprogramed in Canada with the appropriate country codes and MMSI. The unit is made in Florida, so there is no duty, only taxes due. That brings the price down to a more manageable $600 Cdn, including taxes.

Jim
Old 02-16-2016, 04:09 PM   #11
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insequent View Post
Price check!
Even in Australia where we are often slugged high prices, most of the EPIRB's are under $300 now and include GPS...
Amazing a product is cheaper in OZ than USA or Canada. Something to do with GME being a competitive local mfr?
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote