Old 07-21-2017, 02:59 PM   #1

City: Everett
Vessel Name: TwoDot II
Vessel Model: Navigator 5100
New electronics preferences

Having problems with my old Raymarine electronics package and considering an upgrade. What are your thoughts/preferences between Raymarine, Furuno, and Garmin? Pros and cons? What about map package? Navionics, Lighthouse, C-Map?

TwoDot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 03:14 PM   #2
Guru

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
Raymarine Axiom- latest and greatest. Uses non-proprietary mapping, is intuitive, and the backing of a great company (FLIR).

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 03:52 PM   #3
Guru

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Scot Free
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 53' Efficient
I recently installed new Garmin chart plotters, radar and sounder. No issues found and I think its intuitive to use. However I was indoctrinated in Garmin on my airplanes so I am well used to their logic. YMMV. I use the included BlueChart which I really like especially linked to Active Captain. I love planning on my iPad in the evenings and linking it to the chart-plotters ready for the voyage next day.
McGillicuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 03:53 PM   #4
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Did you ask which anchor? Oh, no. Which electronics.

I prefer Furuno. Might be familiarity, but I think what gives them the edge to me is their level of service.

We have Garmin on a boat and have been very pleased with it.

I've only used Raymarine a few times. Found nothing wrong but at the time I tried it, they were having many issues with new ones. This was at least 18 months ago though.

I would not recommend Simrad, even though they may have the best Autopilot.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 03:54 PM   #5
Guru

Furuno or Garmin.
We went with Garmin after having waaaayyyyy too many issues with Raymarine in the past.
Raymarine may have things under control now but they used up all of my available forgiveness.
People I respect in the industry like Garmin and that is what we finally chose. It is very easy to use. It is far more backwards comparable than Raymarine though not in the league of Furuno and customer support is effortless to reach.
A huge step in the right direction for us!
Bruce
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1848.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	66967  
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 03:58 PM   #6
Guru

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Scot Free
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 53' Efficient
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post

I would not recommend Simrad, even though they may have the best Autopilot.

Agreed. They acquired Robertson a few moons ago. I thought Robertson was the bees knees but I had problems with parts So I replaced with Simrad. It plays well with Garmin.
McGillicuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 04:15 PM   #7
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce B View Post
Furuno or Garmin.
We went with Garmin after having waaaayyyyy too many issues with Raymarine in the past.
Raymarine may have things under control now but they used up all of my available forgiveness.
People I respect in the industry like Garmin and that is what we finally chose. It is very easy to use. It is far more backwards comparable than Raymarine though not in the league of Furuno and customer support is effortless to reach.
A huge step in the right direction for us!
Bruce
That's the type issues I saw. The new Sea Ray L Series of boats have new Raymarine, state of the art. Unfortunately, they'd shipped one product that was clearly not ready for prime time. Now, to their credit they did replace them all, but it was still a nightmare for purchasers.
Old 07-21-2017, 04:25 PM   #8
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
That's the type issues I saw. The new Sea Ray L Series of boats have new Raymarine, state of the art. Unfortunately, they'd shipped one product that was clearly not ready for prime time. Now, to their credit they did replace them all, but it was still a nightmare for purchasers.
At last years Newport Boat show I had a long honest talk with a Raymarine engineer. He wanted to understand my history with the company and he knew going into the conversation that Raymarine was not on my list.
We spoke in depth about the many Raymarine failures we had suffered. He acknowledged that each failure was a known problem.
He listened to my thoughts and did not push his brand as my mind was already made up. He did convey that the company under Flir was becoming a much better company with some very advanced product.
The final round of Raymarine product that we installed on our previous boat worked just fine. It was the best of their gear we had used.
Still, I was personally done.
Bruce
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 04:30 PM   #9
Guru

Well, we've never had an issue with FLIR on any of their other products so hopefully it works in favor of resolving any issues Raymarine has.

Raymarine was deeply in debt. FLIR assumed $180 million in debt and only paid $24 million to the Raymarine shareholders.
Old 07-21-2017, 05:35 PM   #10
Guru

City: Hampton, va
Vessel Name: Didi Mau
Vessel Model: 2003 Ocean Alexander 456
I have Garmin now and raymarine on previous boat. I like both, but to say raymarine customer service sucks would give the company credit for having any at all. I installers Garmin 8212s on boat last fall and reached Garmin reps in a couple of minutes. Always got thorough and correct answer. I tried calling raymarine customer service and was rewarded with crickets.

Gordon
Gordon J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 06:33 PM   #11
Veteran Member

City: Ak
Vessel Name: Nadezdha
Vessel Model: 1972 Beaver 36
My Raymarine experience was terrible and I ripped their gear out after the last of a number of terrible customer service phone calls. My Garmin experiences covering multiple boats and multiple devices have been great.

Most recently installation was a 1040xs. Plugged it in and was useable immediately. Plugged in a Garmin 18xd radar and it was useable immediately. I like that.
BrotherDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 06:49 PM   #12
Guru

City: Stuart FL
Vessel Name: Magic
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46 Europa
Another vote for Garmin vs. Raymarine. Our boat had Raymarine E series when we bought it and the only thing more frustrating than trying to make it work was trying to reach customer support. In total exasperation and with a bit of road rage I ripped anything with the Raymarine name on it out.

Installed all Garmin and it works great. I did have some minor issues which were resolved by customer service over the phone. If I have a question and I call they answer almost immediately and have a record of my past calls at their finger tips. I'm not saying there aren't other good electronics companies but Raymarine will NEVER see another $ of mine.
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 06:53 PM   #13
Guru

City: Miami River
Vessel Name: Gotcha
Vessel Model: Grand Banks. Heritage. 54
I would suggest you visit your local dealer and get his suggestions and they play with the units he suggests.

I find Garmin very easy to use (intuitive) and they have great customer service. That's my choice it may not be yours. Make sure you get all parts from the same source (I know all about NEMA 2000) but you will have less problems and one company can not pass any problem off on the other.

Whatever you choose play with the units to make sure you will like them.
Bigsfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 07:51 PM   #14
Guru

City: Bay Saint Louis, Mississippi, (or where the anchor drops)
Vessel Model: 1973 42 Bertram MY
Another Garmin fan here.
Old 07-21-2017, 10:36 PM   #15
Guru

City: Gloucester, MA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce B View Post
At last years Newport Boat show I had a long honest talk with a Raymarine engineer. He wanted to understand my history with the company and he knew going into the conversation that Raymarine was not on my list.
We spoke in depth about the many Raymarine failures we had suffered. He acknowledged that each failure was a known problem.
He listened to my thoughts and did not push his brand as my mind was already made up. He did convey that the company under Flir was becoming a much better company with some very advanced product.
The final round of Raymarine product that we installed on our previous boat worked just fine. It was the best of their gear we had used.
Still, I was personally done.
Bruce
It's very encouraging when an acquired company gets better post-acquisition. It's also very rare. Big thumbs up to Raymarine and FLIR!
Old 07-21-2017, 11:36 PM   #16
Guru

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
We have had Raymarine on 4 boats now. I have had really great customer service with them. A couple of years ago a DSM 300 that I bought in 2003 started giving me problems. When I called support they acknowledged that they had some problems with the DSM 300. They sent me a CP 300 free to replace it with no questions asked. The next year I called about an interface problem with some older equipment I had. I told them that I had installed the CP 300 that they replaced the DSM with. The rep asked me to send the CP 300 back and they sent me a 370 instead. I asked what the difference was and he said the 370 is just better. This is excellent service. They worked with me over a couple of weeks getting my various generations of equipment working together. Who replaces 8 year old equipent even if there were issues with it?
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 11:39 PM   #17
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pau Hana View Post
Raymarine Axiom- latest and greatest. Uses non-proprietary mapping, is intuitive, and the backing of a great company (FLIR).
Old 07-21-2017, 11:52 PM   #18
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
It's very encouraging when an acquired company gets better post-acquisition. It's also very rare. Big thumbs up to Raymarine and FLIR!
So much depends on circumstances. Understand Raymarine had tremendous debt so financial challenges. That typically ends up with staff reductions in critical areas like customer service, research, quality control. The reason then that post-acquisition you're likely to see improvement is that FLIR can address the financial situation and infuse money where needed. This is the type acquisition that makes a lot of sense and has the best chance of success.
Old 07-22-2017, 06:33 AM   #19
FF
Guru

Living in FL we use plan B .

Electronics are hand held that can fit into a metal bread box , so a lightning strike will not mean total replacement ,

and being without for a few months , as your lawyer fights with the insurance folks.

KISS
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 08:10 AM   #20
Guru

City: AICW
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Funny, never had an issue with Raymarine equipment, any more than any other manufacturer, and way less than some. From 2000 till now, working in marine eldctronics snd installing or using every brand as a commercial guy or installing for marinas and friends.

Raymarine support has been fine throughout the years and now, my questions are answered pretty quick with an easy internet search. Just fixed my touch screen that froze. Took less than an hour to research and download a new version of software and reboot to factory. Works better than ever.

Every brand has had issues and dogs.

When it is you struggling, sure you can hare the company. As an installer, you dont get that luxury. Some days you are waiting on 3 different manufacturers to get back to you on projrcts gone sour. With 3 angry customers screaming at you.

Sift through brand allegiance and unsderstand why and how raves and rants actually reflect the company. Know what particular model, series, proprietary options, parts costs, legacy support, etc, etc.. that are causing a rant actually matter today, not years ago.

psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote