New Electrical hookup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jmcdboater

Vessel Name
Jim'N'I III
Vessel Make
1990 Sea Ray 440 Aft Cabin
Hi Everybody,
I need some advice. Actually, it's more of a Yes or No question, I think.
We bought a new (to us) Avon dinghy, and we're installing a small ( read....cheap) depth sounder and I'm ready to hook up the power to it.
I'm somewhat handy, installing it and hooking it up is no problem, mounting location is just a couple of feet from the tachometer, which is operational. That would certainly be easy, hook up the depth sounder to the tach.

My question is.... Will that destroy the accuracy of the tachometer?

Thanks a bunch!

jmcdboater

Don't think it will effect the accuracy of the tach, but the power circuit for they tach was not likely designed or sized to run accessories. Best to feed it separately from the battery with a fuse in line at the battery.

Ted

Confused, is the depth sounder for the Avon dinghy or the Sea Ray?

In either case it is a question of the wiring and the fuse on the tach's circuit. You can tie in if sufficient, but two fuses, one at each instrument, would be called for and a larger fuse on the circuit at the battery.

The sounder is for the Avon dinghy. It's an older dinghy, very basic wiring. There is electric start and engine shifting controls at the bow helm. I have not looked at the wiring coming to the tach, yet, I guess that's from the the engine control panel, because I did not notice any wiring off the battery other than the main wires to the engine. I can run a separate wire to the battery, just much, much simpler to tap right off the tach, use a fuse there. The tach is right beside the depth sounder I mounted, much simpler than running an entire new line. Don't want to destroy the accuracy of the tach, though. Really appreciate all the suggestions and assistance.
Jmcdboater

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom