Old 09-22-2017, 09:33 PM   #1
Guru

City: Punta Gorda, fl
Vessel Name: Escapade
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37 2002
New Chirp Depth Transducer

Does the new Chirp technology provide you with a better bottom picture?

Pgitug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 09:36 PM   #2
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
It gives greater definition of target shape, but the standard color fishfinder tells more about bottom hardness if thats what you are asking.

Mine does both, even splut screen.

psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 09:46 PM   #3
Guru

City: kemah
it all depends on the fishfinder and the transducer itself.

the FF I bought from academy has both down and side looking chirp but it has never come close to the propaganda pics...

The absolute best FF I have had was 12" FF from lowrance but it was coupled to a $2500 transducer that was so sensitive we could record the bait and sinker dropping to 90 feet.

I will soon move to raymarines down/side chirp transducer but no idea how well it will do. Its an odd shaped unit so who knows maybe it will actually paint that submerged bridge. LOL

One thing is for sure, there is a ton of information on how to get the most from chirp that wasnt out there when I bought the one from academy.
what_barnacles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 12:23 PM   #4

City: chesterton
Newbe here.
Got a "88 nordic 32.and dont know where best place , if any, to put transducer for a garmin chirp 93sv/sidevu.help anybody?
rloberle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 04:29 PM   #5
Guru

City: Anchorage/Wrangell
Vessel Name: Silver Bay
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42-002
PgiTug

I have a Raymarine through hull downvision transducer that provides pretty good bottom resolution. You can see the bigger things that might cause a problem anchoring (logging debris). On occasion I can see large cables (2 inch) sticking above the bottom but can't see ground lines from crab and shrimp pots on the bottom. i managed to hook an abandoned one this fall that I had to cut to retrieve the anchor. When bottom fishing I can see jigs going down and coming up if they are in the sonar cone. The downvision doesn't do as good a job on fish as the the 200 khz sonar but running them in split screen gives you a better picture of the bottom structure where you see fish. I was really impressed with the bottom lock on the downvision as it will stay in contact with the bottom down to 600 feet. My first generation Lowrance lost the bottom around 80 feet.

Tom
tpbrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 05:20 PM   #6

City: Fairport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pgitug View Post
Does the new Chirp technology provide you with a better bottom picture?
NOt really a better bottom picture. It provides more pulse power "ON" time, and combines with a swept frequency so it has the capability of better target resolution and discrimination. So, better as a structure and fishfinder. The actual bottom you don't need CHIRP to see well. If you want to find a minnow near a branch, then it makes that possible, sometimes.

Many finders now have side view/forward view, etc too, which is not exactly related to chirp.
diver dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 06:38 PM   #7
Veteran Member

City: Seattle, WA USA
Vessel Name: FORTITUDE
Vessel Model: Bluewater 40 Pilothouse
As we're evaluating new electronics this is a timely discussion. It seems most "packaged" systems are intended for fishing from smaller boats w/ outboards so you can add a transducer to the transom. For trawlers the price goes up considerably for a through hull version with a fairing block.

I'm not a big fishing person (yet?), but I like the idea of seeing things below the boat and updating my current 30+ year old depth sounders.

Do many people run both chirp and side scan or do they come in the same transducer?
Airstream345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 06:51 PM   #8
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Vessel Name: Beachcomber
Vessel Model: Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge
I have a Garmin 5" on my Whalers and I'm pleased with the definition you see on the bottom. Here's a photo taken while cruising at 17mph in 26' of water. The slower you go the more definition you get. At idle speeds you can see just about every twig, stick, tree trunk, etc on the bottom down to about 100' depth.

Old 11-21-2017, 07:02 PM   #9
Guru

City: Anchorage/Wrangell
Vessel Name: Silver Bay
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42-002
AirStream,

On my last trawler I actually used a transom mount and ran the cable into the area under the aft cabin bed where you accessed the rudder. I had an easy run from there to the helm. I don't have that easy of access in the Nordic to do the same thing but if I was going to do side view, I think I would opt to try it.

Tom
tpbrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 07:09 PM   #10

It is an almost dizzying number of options now. I run a 4 or 5 combined element system on an outboard boat. My side view is high frequency for good close resolution. SV is fixed freq, not chirp. I have both chirp and conventional bottom elements. SV works ok in shallow water. More a toy in deeper water. SV of course is best done with a towable fish to get the geometry to work.
There are split transducer options
Old 11-21-2017, 07:12 PM   #11

For a port side looking and a stb side and down looking. More $. I suppose on a displacement trawler you could consider a front mounted transducer pair but i have no direct experience with that. Would be nice to see bottom sooner than later!
Old 11-23-2017, 12:42 PM   #12
Guru

City: Punta Gorda, fl
Vessel Name: Escapade
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37 2002
I did get a Chirp Sending unit installed where the old ST60 series depth transducer was. 20 degree hull unit wired to my Raymarine A98. Picture is great and the Raymarine Chirp Transducer was less than $190 from Defender.
Pgitug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 05:02 PM   #13
Guru

Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
i like look foward future deep. Litle bit my echopilot FLS
NBs

North Baltic sea is offline   Reply With Quote