Old 07-17-2012, 05:49 PM   #1
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
New Bose Speakers and Speaker Selector Switch

I completed an installation this month that I have been contemplating for quite a while. It has really enhanced our audio quality and provided greater flexibility in speaker control.

For a couple of years I have had a Bose Accoustimass 3 speaker system on the front channel (salon) and Alpine marine speakers on the rear channel (FB) of the Sony marine stereo. The subwoofer (front channel only) is located under the settee in a limited-access corner. About a year ago I added another 2 small Bose Accoustimass speakers as the salon rear speakers to the rear channel, but never hooked up the subwoofer from that set. The audio results were OK, but not spectacular. I knew this had to be corrected eventually.

Bose Acoustimass 3 Speaker System

Since the subwoofer was only connected to the front speakers, it had no real effect on the FB audio. When we played the rear speakers, both the FB and salon speakers would be operating. We lacked the ability to select salon only or FB only on the rear channel. This caused the salon to drown in music when we only needed audio on the FB or TV audio to blast from the FB speakers when listening to the TV through the stereo in the salon.

I researched the net and found this unpowered switch for around $50 that seemed to provide what I was looking for.

Amazon.com: OEM Systems IW-303-I Push Button Speaker Switch (Ivory, 2 Buttons): Electronics

Installed next to the stereo head at the lower helm, it gives us the ability to toggle the speakers on/off as needed simply and intuitively - TOP is flybridge, BOTTOM is salon, IN is on/OUT is off.

I installed the extra subwoofer under the FB helm console and provided feeds from the sub through the selector switch to all 4 rear channel (salon and FB) speakers. The result is a great improvement in the audio quality of music throughout the boat, espeially at moderate levels. The FB subwoofer fills in the lows nicely throughout the FB and salon and compliments the front Boise speakers perfectly. Being able to select quality sound through the FB speakers only is great when cooking or entertaining in the cockpit.

Next project: Install a new wifi router to enhance our wireless network onboard.
Attached Thumbnails
SpkrSwitch.jpg  
Attached Images

FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 09:54 PM   #2
Guru

Vessel Name: Anastasia III
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
I used an L-Pad as a volume control for my saloon speakers, which are wired as "rear" speakers, along with the two on the aft deck. I use the fader to push more or less volume fore or aft, then use the L-Pad to turn down the speakers in the saloon if I don't need them at the same level as the aft deck. Cheap at Radio Shack and works well. Nice to know about those switches too.
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 08:01 AM   #3
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Al, turn down the volume. I can hear them on the East Coast!
https://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:38 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith
I used an L-Pad as a volume control for my saloon speakers, which are wired as "rear" speakers, along with the two on the aft deck. I use the fader to push more or less volume fore or aft, then use the L-Pad to turn down the speakers in the saloon if I don't need them at the same level as the aft deck. Cheap at Radio Shack and works well. Nice to know about those switches too.
I do this as well, sort of...

I have two head units, one in the salon and one on the FB. I take to speaker outputs from the salon radio and run them into a pair of stereo L-pads, one for the speakers in the salon and the other for the speakers in the master stateroom. On the FB, the single pair of speakers is powered by the front channel of the head unit there.

The line out from each head unit, along with my DVD and DirecTV line outs are connected to a 4x4 a/v switcher as four discrete inputs. Two of the outputs run to a 4-channel amp which connects to two more L-Pads feeding the front deck and rear deck speakers. The third output runs to my TV and the fourth feeds back into the line in on my salon head unit.

Using the A/V switcher, I can send any of my four sources (Salon head unit, FB head unit, DVD, and/or DirecTV) to any of my outputs (TV, front deck, rear deck, and/or salon head unit). Very nice when cruising and the kids want to listen to something downstairs and we want to listen to something different up top. The L-pads let me balance the volume between the different zones and are of the type that break completely when turned all the way down, so no switch needed.
FatTuesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:15 AM   #5
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
I rarely even turn on the stereo on my boat and I certainly don't need a sub woofer when I do turn it on. Underway, the VHF is on and scanning, not the stereo.

Anchored or at the dock, it's either the sounds of nature, or the TV if there is anything worth watching.

I do keep books on my boat.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:24 AM   #6
Curmudgeon

City: Stoney Creek, MD
Vessel Name: Moon Dance
Vessel Model: 1974 34' Marine Trader Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Anchored or at the dock, it's either the sounds of nature, or the TV if there is anything worth watching.

I do keep books on my boat.

A man after my own heart! It seems almost everyone I bring on the boat immediately feels the need to crank up some tunes. I much prefer the sounds of the boat, nature and what's going on around me.
BaltimoreLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:29 AM   #7
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
FlyWright: Nice set up. With no TV for the most part, the radio is on a lot.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:26 AM   #8
Guru

City: Everett, WA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 38'
I do like to listed to music while crusing and at anchor. Of course not too loud to drown out the VHF. Best thing that I started doing is connecting Pandora through my phone to the aux. input.
Max Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:19 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

City: San Jose, CA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl 3
Vessel Model: Silverton 38c
Damn you Al, you've already given Matt audio envy with the sub woofer and now THIS!!!!
San Francisco Bay Area
Pineapple Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 04:29 PM   #10
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
My stereo is at the lower helm, I have a wired remote control and speakers on the FB it lets me select mode-AM, FM, Ipod, or Sat radio. It also controls volume, tone, and search for stations or music files. It has worked well for me, I love music but not played loud.
Steve W
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:00 PM   #11
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineapple Girl View Post
Damn you Al, you've already given Matt audio envy with the sub woofer and now THIS!!!!
This thread started after our summer anchor at the 'secret cove'. That;'s where we were when I installed the switch and sub.

Steve, I have a similar wired remote on my FB and love it. I usually don't blast the music, but I like the quality sound of good music. Now, every once in a while, a REALLY good song comes along and I can't help myself, but I try to be a good neighbor.

Max, I love listening to Pandora on the boat, too. It introduces me to new songs and new artists. Occasionally it tries to slip in a rap/hip-hop song which I quickly give the thumbs down to. When we were anchored out with PG, I got so tired of the ads that I subscribed for a year for $3 per month. Now it's even better!

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote