New batteries setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What is the current draw for your bow thruster? How long a distance is the wiring run? I ask because 1/0 wire seems a bit small for a thruster.

What is the current draw for your bow thruster? How long a distance is the wiring run? I ask because 1/0 wire seems a bit small for a thruster.
Don't know the exact amp draw of the thruster. Round trip the wire run is 10 to 12 feet. 1/0 is quit bigger than what is already there so I think it will work but I am curious to measure its amp draw so I know.

L

Lou, it’s not how I would do things but it will function.

Thank you very much for your input.
To add about the splitter, it will be temporary as I plan to improve that part later on with something more "efficient". Let say I am going step by step (or $ by $ lol).

L

Thruster cable sizing

Obviously, you doing & using what you have & cost is always an issue.

However, Electric Thrusters draw huge amounts of current :eek:

2 / 0 is the minimum size for Electric thrusters when your talking cable size & the length or run mentioned.

For Long runs 4 / 0 is not uncommon.

So that is my recommendation.

Good luck.

Alfa Mike :thumb:

Not hard to measure what they actually draw, and test voltage required, so only need to spend the minimum required.

When I installed my stern thruster I used 4/0 battery cable. My run is about 7 feet round trip. I want every bit of voltage I can get since the thruster draws so much current. Side Power does not even list 1/0 cable in my thruster manual. Maybe your thruster draws a lot less than mine, but larger cables are not significantly more money in the scheme of thrusters.

Key item to measure under load

Sure, you can get an inductive amp meter & put it around the wire, trigger the Thruster on & read that amperage - but that does not tell you if the wire is to small - only tells you what amperage can squeeze through the little 1/0 cable - which is way to small for a thruster. :banghead:

The actual key item to measure is the "voltage drop" across the in question cable under the load of applied power & load. :thumb:

Anything over a half a volt voltage drop for that one cable means the cable is to small ! :mad:

Connect your Fluke 87 digital Volt meter to each end of the cable in question & then have someone else apply the thruster to the on position & ready the voltage drop on your digital volt meter.:facepalm:

That is the definitive way to know what is going on. :dance:

ComoDave up above is speaking the truth again !

Good luck. :D

Alfa Mike :thumb:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom