Old 03-11-2015, 10:06 AM   #21
Guru

City: Holladay, UT
Vessel Name: Dream Catcher
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37-065
If you'd like a distress call to supply the Canadian CG with your boat/owner information, it seems that's not going to work with a BoatUS MMSI. Here's a recent response from BoatUS to a question about MMSI's from a boater heading into Canada:

The problem is not one that BoatU.S. can fix unfortunately, though we are actively lobbying the government to push for a change. The problem is that the International ITU database can only accept MMSI numbers ending in zero and BoatU.S. is not authorized to issue MMSI numbers ending in zero. If you are required to be licensed, but are cruising within range of the U.S. or Canadian Coast Guard, you can continue to use the BoatU.S. number in your radio rather than reprogram with the MMSI assigned by the FCC. Foreign rescue authorities just won't be able to look up your registered data in the international SAR database in the event of a distress.

If you are cruising in Canadian waters, the Canadian Coast Guard is working with the U.S. Coast Guard on any distresses.

Kristin L. Loyd
Supv, Special Programs
Technical Services
(Surveyor Referral/MMSI/Seaworthy Magazine/Captain Locator)
800.563.1536 ext. 3561 | KLoyd@BoatUS.com | BoatUS.com/MMSI

"Cruising in a Big Way"
RCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 10:47 AM   #22
Guru

City: Gloucester, MA
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitkofisle View Post
As for boating in Canada with an MMSI obtained through Boat US vs the FCC - I believe there is more than just a compliance issue.

As of a couple of years ago, the Canadian CG did not recognize, or have access to, any non-FCC MMSI's. If you have a Boat US MMSI, your DSC distress signal will be received and responded to but the CCG will only know your location, not who they are responding to, what type of vessel they are looking for, or who to contact regarding the emergency (emergency contacts, next of kin etc.).

This may have changed recently but I don't think so.
Yes, I believe this is correct.

There is an international database of ships that is used to get more info on whoever has issued a distress alert. This info aids in a search operation. When you get your MMSI through the FCC, you info gets placed in the ITU database. When you get your MMSI from BoatUS, it does not get placed in the ITU database.

I dont' think this will impact AIS use in any way, but you are correct that it will place you at a disadvantage should you have to issue a DSC distress call.

I agree with others that if you have any thoughts of international travel, and that includes Canada, Mexico, and the Bahamas, to just get the FCC license and MMSI and be done with it.

The interesting challenge is the one the OP has, which is essentially converting from a BoatUS MMSI to an internationally registered one. Gettign a new MMSI is easy, but having to send all your equipment in for reset service is a pain in the butt. I'm real interested to see if anyone is able to get an FCC license and reuse their old MMSI, thereby getting it into the ITU database.

Old 03-11-2015, 01:00 PM   #23
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Just completed the FCC Online registration but no mention of how long it will take to get the MMSI.

Can some one advise?
Donsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 01:03 PM   #24
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
I'm real interested to see if anyone is able to get an FCC license and reuse their old MMSI, thereby getting it into the ITU database.

Great question! But if the FCC numbers all end in "0" and BoatUs cannot issue these numbers, then there maybe a problem.....

I may have to go through the process of grounding my fleet of one and send in all of my radio/AIS gear to have it reset.
Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 01:04 PM   #25
Guru

City: Gulf Shores, Ala.
Vessel Name: Ulysses
Vessel Model: Romsdal 1963
It took about 4 days for me.
ulysses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 04:38 PM   #26
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ and Englewood, FL
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitkofisle View Post

THREAD DRIFT WARNING - If the DSC radios are designed to be connected to a GPS, why don't my Uniden DSC Radio and Foruno NavNet Vx2 have plugs/terminals to facilitate the connection? I can't figure out how to wire them. I also couldn't navigate my way through the FCC site. I use a SPOT Messenger.
One would think that NMEA would come up with a standard plug/jack arrangement that the manufacturers could all implement instead of every radio/GPS having a different wiring scheme. Nope. Probably THE reason most DSC radios are not interfaced at all.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Englewood, FL and Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 04:52 PM   #27
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Wire View Post
One would think that NMEA would come up with a standard plug/jack arrangement that the manufacturers could all implement instead of every radio/GPS having a different wiring scheme. Nope. Probably THE reason most DSC radios are not interfaced at all.

They do make them their called Nmea 2000 capable VHF's.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 06:32 AM   #28
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Quote:
Originally Posted by ulysses View Post
It took about 4 days for me.
Seems like they improved on that. I got it this morning via an email and a link. So it was less than 24 hours.
Donsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 05:48 PM   #29
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Well had my first trip up river today with the AIS. I have disarmed the sound alarm! I must have pushed "OK" at least 60 times. Lots of boat traffic in the Columbia today. We are at St. Helens OR tonight.
Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 07:57 PM   #30
Guru

City: Gulf Shores, Ala.
Vessel Name: Ulysses
Vessel Model: Romsdal 1963
I did not use the email/link option and relied on the USPS, Still a pretty fast turnaround time for a federal agency.

ulysses is offline   Reply With Quote