Old 05-19-2012, 09:15 PM   #21
Guru

City: Upstate,SC
Vessel Name: Shipoopi
Vessel Model: derilic sailboat
Quote:
Originally Posted by charles View Post
Cap, We did the Great Circle Cruise in five years and over 9,000 miles. On the 3 rd day out you will pull in to the nearest port and install an auto pilot.
I had two of the simplest depth gauges made, and that was all that we ever needed.
Used a laptop for navigation and had two identical GPS units one attached to the computer that was used ONLY for navigation.
No electronics were coupled, all separate. Had a loud hailer and gave it away after over 20 yrs of non use----ever, that is what a VHF is for.
Our experience and as always YMMV
About the cleats, it would be difficult to have too many, if you even think that you may need one in a spot install it.
CCC

ben2go is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 05:45 AM   #22

City: patterson
Vessel Model: CHB 45 Pilot House
Cap, I do have one other suggestion.
LIke the Oil discussion, rope is rope, in my opinion, of course it should be all nylon and not a mix, yes there is such. Anyway, since we live in the oil patch I used the commercial style hardware stores that sell to the oilfield.
For lines I always purchased an ENTIRE SPOOL of 5/8 nylon line, this was, a few yrs. ago, always less than $150 for 600 ft. (45ft boat)
Do the math!
I would get a full set of 40 ft dock lines AND an anchor rode of 300 ft from one spool.
Note all of my lines had FOUR FOOT eyes spliced in them, makes docking a pleasure, well almost. Splicing is not hard and saves a tonn of money!
On occasion I would share a spool with a friend if I did not need a new rode to go with the new dock lines.
Again, my experience and YMMV
charles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 06:37 AM   #23
Guru

City: Missourah
Vessel Name: M/V Scout
Vessel Model: Sundowner Tug 30'
Quote:
Cap, We did the Great Circle Cruise in five years and over 9,000 miles. On the 3 rd day out you will pull in to the nearest port and install an auto pilot.
I had two of the simplest depth gauges made, and that was all that we ever needed.
Used a laptop for navigation and had two identical GPS units one attached to the computer that was used ONLY for navigation.
No electronics were coupled, all separate. Had a loud hailer and gave it away after over 20 yrs of non use----ever, that is what a VHF is for.
Our experience and as always YMMV
About the cleats, it would be difficult to have too many, if you even think that you may need one in a spot install it.
Some of the best advice I've seen on the TF. Are you listening?

Deliveries & Yacht Services
www.captainchip.com
Anode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 01:31 PM   #24
Guru

City: Spartanburg, SC
Vessel Name: Big Duck
Vessel Model: '72 Land-N-Sea
One More Time Around: Keeping It Simple
jeffnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 06:56 PM   #25
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnick View Post

We're from the same area.I book marked your link.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:44 PM   #26

About Abe----Lincoln that is

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
"Abe freed the slaves."

But not in the country he was ruler of ,

Only in the country he was attacking.
Right on FF, not many are aware of that fact, The Emancipation Proclomation applied ONLY to the states that had seceded from the union.

I learned something recently about Abe, Garibaldi, look him up, the major freedom fighter in South America and the one who unified Italy, offered his services to Abe at the outset of the war of Northern Aggression (Civil War). Aside, how can a "war" be civil but I digress.
Anyway Gary had two demands, the first was that he would be made General of the Armies, Abe went along with this, the second Abe demurred. Gary demanded the IMMEDIATE FREEDOM FOR ALL SLAVES. Abe would not and did not do this, thus the Emancipation Proclomation NOT freeing the slaves in the Northern states.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:00 PM   #27
Veteran Member

And the point is??????

Obviously if "Abe" felt it was morally correct AND politically expediant he would have supported it. However remember "Abe" was NOT an abolitionist but rather a realist. He wanted to "preserve" the union and operated accordingly. Certainly does not justify the continuation of slavery as an approved practice if that is what you are implying.

Regards,

RB Cooper
rbcooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 09:28 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbcooper View Post
And the point is??????

Obviously if "Abe" felt it was morally correct AND politically expediant he would have supported it. However remember "Abe" was NOT an abolitionist but rather a realist. He wanted to "preserve" the union and operated accordingly.

*** Certainly does not justify the continuation of slavery as an approved practice if that is what you are implying.***

Regards,

RB Cooper
Are you kin the the guy who hijacked the plane and killed himself in the parachute landing?
Gotta be.
I hesitate to question someone who I do not know but that is some wild a__ statement. You have got way too much time on your hands.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:38 PM   #29
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
I have seen pics of some members helms.WOW!Most have to much gadgets to distract me.The more "stuff" in front of me,the bigger chance I will become distracted.
I don't think it's so much the amount of stuff in front of you as it is how you use it. We have two large plotters, one of which is also a radar, a multifunction VHF radio, depth-speed-etc instrument, loud hailer-intercom, and of course the engine instruments in front of us and dont' find it at all distracting. Most of the time we're holding our heading by the compass and using the plotters to determine the correction needed to the compass heading to remain on course. The compass is mounted directly in front of the helm so looking at it pretty much automatically makes you look out the window at the same time.

Now if you get all wrapped up in manipulating the plotters and radar and whatnot that can certainly be distracting and cause you to overlook something outside the boat. Like another boat.

Quote:
So what is everyone's opinion on minimum nav and comm gear for safely cruising the Great Loop?
Don't know much about the GL other than it includes rivers, some pretty good size sections of lakes, and the ICW which as I understand it includes some larger bodies of open water along the way.. So I don't think the basic requirements for navigating a boat safely on the loop are much different than the basic requirements for navigating a boat out here.

Based on the 13 years we've been doing the kind of boating we do in the GB, if I was you I would want to be able to "see" when I can't see, communicate, know where I am at all times in relation to everything that isn't water at least ten feet deep, know when the water we are in is shallowing toward that ten foot deep figure, and be able to plot and follow a course reasonably accurately if all the electricicals on the boat stop holding hands.

So that dictates a radar, a VHF radio, a GPS plotter, a depth sounder, paper charts and the tools to use them, and a magnetic compass.

One can go on forever debating the brand name benefits. For me, radar means Furuno, VHF means Icom, and plotter means C-Map (so Furuno or Standard Horizon). But everyone will have their own preferences and favorites-- you'll have to arrive at your own.

Anything in addition is gravy. Two plotters can be nice--- we run each of our plotters in different modes and so get more positioning and steering information than if we had just one. But modern plotters can do so much that having more than one really isn't necessary in my opinon unless you want a backup. Or just like plotters.

AIS can be useful in some areas. I gather the ICW is one of them. We have it on an iPad but so far have not found it to be of much actual navigational value out here. It's interesting, but it's not proven to be necessary.

Multiple VHF radios can be handy but like the plotters, the modern VHF has so many capabilities you can monitor just about everything you need to monitor with just one.

Obvioulsy you don't need any electronics to get safely from Point A to Point B via points C, D, and E. Boaters did just fine before the advent of radar, radios, plotters, and electronic depth sounders. But it would be pretty limiting to boat that way today. So I think you need to make sure you can see what's around you, communicate with the people around you, know where you are, and stay off the bottom. However you choose to set yourself up to do all that is your preference.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 04:49 AM   #30
FF
Guru

"Boaters did just fine before the advent of radar, radios, plotters, and electronic depth sounders. But it would be pretty limiting to boat that way today."

Really? Inshore? how?
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 04:55 AM   #31
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
"Boaters did just fine before the advent of radar, radios, plotters, and electronic depth sounders. But it would be pretty limiting to boat that way today.

Really? Inshore? how?

I'm guessing more boaters would sit tight if the weather was sketchy or wouldn't run at night...not necessarily unsafe...just more expedient to use electronics to do it.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 06:07 AM   #32
Guru

City: Missourah
Vessel Name: M/V Scout
Vessel Model: Sundowner Tug 30'
So Marin, are you a north up guy or a heading up guy on the plotters?

Deliveries & Yacht Services
www.captainchip.com
Anode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 07:31 AM   #33
Guru

City: Trenton
The prudent mariner always has two ways of determining his position.

The well-heeled mariner has 6 or 7.
alormaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 07:57 AM   #34

I forgot the MOST IMPORTANT item to NOT have on board.
A SCHEDULE, it will get you in trouble every time, you go when you should not and stay when you should go. To put it another way, a schedule is the most dangerious thing aboard your boat.

A very knowledgable captain told me that if you are meeting someone to get on your boat that you will tell them the place to meet you OR the date but not both. This is read in conjunction with the SCHEDULE admonition.

My experience and as always, YMMV
Old 05-27-2012, 10:07 AM   #35
Scraping Paint

Quote:
"Boaters did just fine before the advent of radar, radios, plotters, and electronic depth sounders. But it would be pretty limiting to boat that way today."

Really? Inshore? how?
Radio for weather information, boat to boat communications (I know you consider semaphore flags to be high tech, FF, like that ancient P2V you used to fly, but most people don't have the time or interest to learn the signals these days. Pushing a button and just talking is easier. You should try it. ), and distress assistance, depth sounders are a lot faster than lead lines, GPS is handy for all sorts of things like anchor watch, local information with add-ons like Active Captain, etc. in addition to navigation itself, and radar let's you cruise in poor visibility or at night, pick out obstacles in the water ahead of you (under the right conditions) and basically make you more aware of your surroundings and what's going on in them.

You think Cook, La Pérouse, Vancouver, or Farragut would have refused GPS, radar, sonar, and radio if they'd been available when they were doing their "inshore" criuising? I rather doubt it.
Old 05-27-2012, 10:21 AM   #36
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anode View Post
So Marin, are you a north up guy or a heading up guy on the plotters?
On the 8-knot GB we run one plotter north up to match the chartbook, the Furuno is split screened with radar on top and steering, course/bearing, course deviation, TTG, speed, waypoint and distance information underneath, and the iPad is heading up. Occasionally in low visibility we'll split the Furuno with radar on top and a heading up chart display on the bottom and match the scales so we can compare the radar returns to the chart (we don't like overlaying them)

On our 30 mph fishing boat which has just one plotter we run it in heading up.

We run the compass magnetic north up.
Old 05-28-2012, 04:46 AM   #37
FF
Guru

You think Cook, La Pérouse, Vancouver, or Farragut would have refused GPS, radar, sonar, and radio if they'd been available when they were doing their "inshore" criuising? I rather doubt it.

Almost ALL of the "navigation" most TT do is in a ditch , or running from one buoy to the next, with half a dozen in sight, reading a chart..

But you are right , listening to XM is a delight!

FF
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 09:17 AM   #38
Scraping Paint

Quote:

Almost ALL of the "navigation" most TT do is in a ditch , or running from one buoy to the next, with half a dozen in sight, reading a chart..

But you are right , listening to XM is a delight!

FF
You need to go boating somewhere other than the ICW or Great Loop which I agree are "ditches" for the most part as you describe. It's not "buoy to buoy with half dozen in sight" out here or up the BC coast or in Alaska or around northern Scotland or out in the irish Sea or around Australia or New Zealand or in the hundreds of other places where boaters cruise in "TTs" as you call them.
Old 05-28-2012, 10:24 AM   #39

City: South Puget Sound, WA
Quote:
Originally Posted by alormaria View Post
The prudent mariner always has two ways of determining his position.

The well-heeled mariner has 6 or 7.
Budds Outlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 01:34 PM   #40
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
I don't think it's so much the amount of stuff in front of you as it is how you use it.
That's what my girlfriend says.I guess she's trying to tell me something,but what?