Need opinions on helm instrumentation for Great Looping.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
"Boaters did just fine before the advent of radar, radios, plotters, and electronic depth sounders. But it would be pretty limiting to boat that way today.

Really? Inshore? how?

I'm guessing more boaters would sit tight if the weather was sketchy or wouldn't run at night...not necessarily unsafe...just more expedient to use electronics to do it.

So Marin, are you a north up guy or a heading up guy on the plotters?

The prudent mariner always has two ways of determining his position.

The well-heeled mariner has 6 or 7.

I forgot the MOST IMPORTANT item to NOT have on board.
A SCHEDULE, it will get you in trouble every time, you go when you should not and stay when you should go. To put it another way, a schedule is the most dangerious thing aboard your boat.

A very knowledgable captain told me that if you are meeting someone to get on your boat that you will tell them the place to meet you OR the date but not both. This is read in conjunction with the SCHEDULE admonition.

My experience and as always, YMMV

"Boaters did just fine before the advent of radar, radios, plotters, and electronic depth sounders. But it would be pretty limiting to boat that way today."

Really? Inshore? how?

Radio for weather information, boat to boat communications (I know you consider semaphore flags to be high tech, FF, like that ancient P2V you used to fly, but most people don't have the time or interest to learn the signals these days. Pushing a button and just talking is easier. You should try it. :) ), and distress assistance, depth sounders are a lot faster than lead lines, GPS is handy for all sorts of things like anchor watch, local information with add-ons like Active Captain, etc. in addition to navigation itself, and radar let's you cruise in poor visibility or at night, pick out obstacles in the water ahead of you (under the right conditions) and basically make you more aware of your surroundings and what's going on in them.

You think Cook, La Pérouse, Vancouver, or Farragut would have refused GPS, radar, sonar, and radio if they'd been available when they were doing their "inshore" criuising? I rather doubt it.

Last edited:
So Marin, are you a north up guy or a heading up guy on the plotters?

On the 8-knot GB we run one plotter north up to match the chartbook, the Furuno is split screened with radar on top and steering, course/bearing, course deviation, TTG, speed, waypoint and distance information underneath, and the iPad is heading up. Occasionally in low visibility we'll split the Furuno with radar on top and a heading up chart display on the bottom and match the scales so we can compare the radar returns to the chart (we don't like overlaying them)

On our 30 mph fishing boat which has just one plotter we run it in heading up.

We run the compass magnetic north up.

Last edited:
You think Cook, La Pérouse, Vancouver, or Farragut would have refused GPS, radar, sonar, and radio if they'd been available when they were doing their "inshore" criuising? I rather doubt it.

Almost ALL of the "navigation" most TT do is in a ditch , or running from one buoy to the next, with half a dozen in sight, reading a chart..

But you are right , listening to XM is a delight!

FF

Almost ALL of the "navigation" most TT do is in a ditch , or running from one buoy to the next, with half a dozen in sight, reading a chart..

But you are right , listening to XM is a delight!

FF

You need to go boating somewhere other than the ICW or Great Loop which I agree are "ditches" for the most part as you describe. It's not "buoy to buoy with half dozen in sight" out here or up the BC coast or in Alaska or around northern Scotland or out in the irish Sea or around Australia or New Zealand or in the hundreds of other places where boaters cruise in "TTs" as you call them.

Last edited:
I don't think it's so much the amount of stuff in front of you as it is how you use it.

That's what my girlfriend says.I guess she's trying to tell me something,but what? :lol:

Back
Top Bottom