Old 04-14-2015, 02:34 PM   #21

City: Thomasville
Vessel Name: Sea La Vie
Vessel Model: Mainship 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
I received this email from Icom today regarding the microphone cable for our M-802 HF radio. Thanks again Don.

> From: MaryScanlon@IcomAmerica.com
> To: lenalarry@.......com
> Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2015 11:43:47 -0800
> Subject: FW: Sent from Icom America Website: IC-M802 Microphone Cable Crumbling
>
> For crumbling cord replacement at no charge (if that is the only problem with the microphone) please ship to one of the below service centers for replacement, whichever is closer to you.
>
> ICOM America, Inc.
> 12421 Willows Road N.E.
> Kirkland, WA 98034
> ATTN: SERVICE DEPT
> (800) 306.1380
>
> OR.............
>
> Williams Communications
> 5046 Tennessee Capital Blvd.
> Tallahassee, FL 32303
> (800) 649.5783
>
>
>
>
> Mary Scanlon KB7SDO
> Service Administrative Supervisor
>
> Icom America Inc.
> 12421 Willows Road NE
> Kirkland, WA 98034
>
> 425.450.6096 office
> maryscanlon@icomamerica.com
> Two-Way Radios - 2-Way Radios - Radios for amateur, avionics, land mobile and marine use
>
>
> We are Icom.
> Innovative People.
> Great Solutions.
>
Anyone know if this fix applies to the icom 601 family of radios? My cord is badly frayed and needs replacement.

Sea la Vie
MS 430

trons451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 02:58 PM   #22
Guru

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by trons451 View Post
Anyone know if this fix applies to the icom 601 family of radios? My cord is badly frayed and needs replacement.

Sea la Vie
MS 430
Trons...
See post #9 - the iCom announcement states
"If someone owns an ICOM product with a microphone who's cable/cord's protective jacket is crumbling or peeling off in chunks, they should contact ICOM America, Inc. at the contact information below."

that post has the iCom contact info - email & phone

Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 01:33 PM   #23

City: Thomasville
Vessel Name: Sea La Vie
Vessel Model: Mainship 430
Thanks to all for responding. I took my mic cord to Williams Communications, and it was fixed in two days!! I dropped it off; they fed exed it back.
Mary says they have discontinued the mic so she is not sure how much longer the cords will be available.
Ron
Sea La Vie
MS430
trons451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 06:15 PM   #24
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
I'm not sure about the Ray 230 but I just rec'd & installed a new cord for a Ray 215.
See thread CORD for Raymarine 215 VHF post #16 where I've posted pics of the internals - it was a simple plug connection inside the mic. I special ordered the new cord through my local West Marine store and it was around $45.
I got the Ray part # from the Ray technical forum.
BTW - I also contacted Boat US consumer support to try to get Ray to replace these but they hid behind their warranty unlike iCom which have agreed to replace detiorating cords on units out of warranty.
I have recently written to Ray just to inform them I intended to spread the word re: their lack of support for a defective product. I'm now an iCom fan.
How old was the radio? How long was the warranty? What is the difference in your mind between "defective" and "worn out"?

To the OP - I was using a buffer to wax my dash when it got into a fight with the microphone cord. The cord lost.

Standard Horizon could not supply a black cord, only a white one so I bought the white one, sprayed it with vinyl upholstery paint from the auto store and replaced it myself. It was a bit intricate but as a former electronic technician, I got it done.

You might want to see what you can buy just the part for and have a local electronic technician install it.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 07:44 PM   #25
Guru

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesK View Post

How old was the radio? How long was the warranty? What is the difference in your mind between "defective" and "worn out"?
In my case the radio was about 4 yrs old...clearly out of warranty. Also iny case the previous owner was the first owner and kept it in a covered slip. UV deterioration was beyond normal wear and tear.
Surveyor reported this was a frequent occueance w Icom and more so w Raymarine.
ICOM chose to stand behind their products acknowledging a material problem and maling good even on units out of warranty.
Raymarine chose to hide behind their warranty.
I know which I will consider for future purchases and which I will not. I value mfgrs loyalty to customers and reward them with purchases.
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 01:35 PM   #26
Guru

City: UMR MM283
Vessel Name: Northern Lights II
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3870
I replaced a badly deteriorated cord for a friend on his raymarine VHF a few years ago, it was original to the boat a 2001 SeaRay. As I remember it wasn't difficult, if you're able to solder and remember the color code locations nothing to it.

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum
Old 09-12-2017, 01:08 PM   #27
Veteran Member

City: Watts Bar Lake, Tn River
Free to good home; you pay shipping. Ray230 VHF circa 2004. Unit powered up before removal but did not receive. Might have transmitted; IDK. Base unit, 2 handsets (one appears good with good coiled cord, one seriously UV damaged), 2 remote speakers, hookup wiring harness. I could not fish the long connector from the cable tray.
Old 09-12-2017, 04:34 PM   #28

City: Punta Gorda, FL
Vessel Name: Aweigh
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42
I am the OP for this and never did find cords for my two 230's so I sold the boat. Now I need one curly cord for a 240 Raymarine. Same reason and same search results as before. This one looks easier to replace.

seasalt007 is offline   Reply With Quote