Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-28-2017, 08:42 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
TowLou's Avatar
 
City: Flanders, NJ
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Bassey
Vessel Model: 17' Bass
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 187
Navtronics plus

What is everyones opinion in real life use of Navtronics plus app on a android device?

With the features of tides and it looks like weather and something about sonar that pulls from other boats linked up.

Plus just a chart constantly updating when in data range.

Lookimg at it amd for 55 the first year may entertain it to add to my phone and play with it on the lake and for the next time i get to go out on the ocean.
__________________
Advertisement

TowLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 09:41 PM   #2
Guru
 
Lou_tribal's Avatar
 
City: Quebec
Country: Canada
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 3,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by TowLou View Post
What is everyones opinion in real life use of Navtronics plus app on a android device?

With the features of tides and it looks like weather and something about sonar that pulls from other boats linked up.

Plus just a chart constantly updating when in data range.

Lookimg at it amd for 55 the first year may entertain it to add to my phone and play with it on the lake and for the next time i get to go out on the ocean.
Are you talking about Navionics app?

L
__________________

Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 10:03 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
TowLou's Avatar
 
City: Flanders, NJ
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Bassey
Vessel Model: 17' Bass
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 187
Yeah on android. I downloaded the basic looking at it wonder if it's worth it to put on my tablet or phone to try. For 55 bucks and discounted rate in a year but would thephone accept the update if my carrier updated the os within a year.

I just wonder to like other apps when they update the os and there's no more os updates for such model phone or tablet would the navtronics subscription be transferable to a newer model phone or tablet.

Ive had them issues in the past with apps I use for my job making me update my phone before I can break it.
TowLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 10:51 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
City: Wherever the boat is
Country: United States
Vessel Name: Silver Quarter
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3870
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 456
If we're talking about the navionics android app, ya, its decent. Good to have in the toolbox. I think its less money than that tho?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...leAppUsa&hl=en
kev_rm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 10:55 PM   #5
Guru
 
Crusty Chief's Avatar
 
City: Las Vegas/West Coast
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Pairadice
Vessel Model: Selene 47
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,531
We use it on Apple devices and its great! Especially up here in BC and Alaska.
The Tides and current markers make life so much easier.

Auto route is a great feature also.
Crusty Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 11:10 PM   #6
Guru
 
dhays's Avatar
 
City: Gig Harbor
Country: United States
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 8,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusty Chief View Post
We use it on Apple devices and its great! Especially up here in BC and Alaska.
The Tides and current markers make life so much easier.

Auto route is a great feature also.


I put it on my iPad before our recent trip. It is great for planning and
I also like the auto routing feature.
__________________
Regards,

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 11:20 PM   #7
Guru
 
Seevee's Avatar
 
City: st pete
Country: usa
Vessel Model: 400 Mainship
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 2,186
Great app, but wish it has Active Captain for stops along the way.

Does anyone use this for auto routing and transfer it to their Simrad chart plotter?
__________________
Seevee
Seevee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 12:34 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
TowLou's Avatar
 
City: Flanders, NJ
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Bassey
Vessel Model: 17' Bass
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by kev_rm View Post
If we're talking about the navionics android app, ya, its decent. Good to have in the toolbox. I think its less money than that tho?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...leAppUsa&hl=en
Yea that app. I see it at 54.99 for initial one year subscription on my phone. I installed it the basic version to look at and i may like the extras. I do not think wrong if it is as informative as it sounds be a good idea to purchase. Im just afraid of the updates in the app if my phone or tablet will not have a new ok update in a year or two making me buy a full version on another phone.
TowLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 06:00 AM   #9
Veteran Member
 
Rhinoc's Avatar
 
City: Gold Coast
Country: Australia
Vessel Name: Serenity 2.0
Vessel Model: Mimosa 40
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 48
I have the Navionics app on a few devices as a backup for my Simrad gear and generally find it really good.

A couple of years back I sailed a boat from the Victoria (Australia) up the east coast to the Gold Coast in Queensland (around 1000nm) and my iPad was the primary navigation device and it was brilliant.

Ryan
Rhinoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 08:10 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
TowLou's Avatar
 
City: Flanders, NJ
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Bassey
Vessel Model: 17' Bass
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhinoc View Post
I have the Navionics app on a few devices as a backup for my Simrad gear and generally find it really good.

A couple of years back I sailed a boat from the Victoria (Australia) up the east coast to the Gold Coast in Queensland (around 1000nm) and my iPad was the primary navigation device and it was brilliant.

Ryan
Difderent note love the Gold Coast. Got to get back down there.

With it on different devices did you have to pay for each or lets say if you had a android device (since thats all i deal with not a I anything fan) did you have to pay for it on each if you got the full version? Or having signed into google playstore with one email would allow you to put the full version on all your devices and only pay once.
TowLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 09:15 AM   #11
Guru
 
Seevee's Avatar
 
City: st pete
Country: usa
Vessel Model: 400 Mainship
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 2,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhinoc View Post
I have the Navionics app on a few devices as a backup for my Simrad gear and generally find it really good.

A couple of years back I sailed a boat from the Victoria (Australia) up the east coast to the Gold Coast in Queensland (around 1000nm) and my iPad was the primary navigation device and it was brilliant.

Ryan
Question for you , seeing how you have Simrad gear and the Navionics.....

Can you create a route on the Navionics App and transfer it to your Simrad?
__________________
Seevee
Seevee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 10:14 AM   #12
Guru
 
Codger2's Avatar
 
City: San Diego
Country: US
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 5,902
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
I put it on my iPad before our recent trip. It is great for planning and
I also like the auto routing feature.
i have it on my iPhone & iPad and in some respects it's better than the Raymarine MFD system. Auto routing is great!
__________________
Codger 1941.. Constant pursuit of the ultimate SoCal Cruising boat.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 06:58 PM   #13
Veteran Member
 
Rhinoc's Avatar
 
City: Gold Coast
Country: Australia
Vessel Name: Serenity 2.0
Vessel Model: Mimosa 40
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by TowLou View Post
Difderent note love the Gold Coast. Got to get back down there.

With it on different devices did you have to pay for each or lets say if you had a android device (since thats all i deal with not a I anything fan) did you have to pay for it on each if you got the full version? Or having signed into google playstore with one email would allow you to put the full version on all your devices and only pay once.
Iím an Apple fan so the devices I have it running on are a couple of a iPads and my iPhone 7 Plus. From memory, Iíve only had to pay/subscribe once for multiple devices but I have some recollection there may be a delineation between the phone and the iPads. Iíve had it for so long I canít really recall.

The developers seem to be continually improving the product and adding features and functionality all the time which is great to see. Love it on the iPad Pro for sitting at the table planning out and discussing possible movements for extended trips.

Ryan
Rhinoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 07:00 PM   #14
Veteran Member
 
Rhinoc's Avatar
 
City: Gold Coast
Country: Australia
Vessel Name: Serenity 2.0
Vessel Model: Mimosa 40
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seevee View Post
Question for you , seeing how you have Simrad gear and the Navionics.....

Can you create a route on the Navionics App and transfer it to your Simrad?
Seevee, to be honest, I havenít actually experimented with this new feature yet. Iíve read the material and it appears that is entirely possible. I will have to have a play.

Ryan
Rhinoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 09:44 PM   #15
Guru
 
tadhana's Avatar
 
City: New England and Canada to Florida
Country: USA EAST
Vessel Name: Tadhana
Vessel Model: Helmsman 38 Pilothouse
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 573
I have been using Navionics on my iPad for several years. It has proven so useful, I now have the iPad permanently mounted at the helm station, and use it in conjunction with Coastal Explorer on my PC and my Raymarine Chartplotter. The Sonar Charts add a whole new dimension of bathymetric information. I use the auto-routing function when i need to change my route mid trip. It is terrific for playing what if questions. It has very good tine and current information. So far it has never lead me astray, and I have used it from Marathon to the Canadian border on Lake Champlain and out to Cape Cod, multiple times.

I have been hired as the navigator on several deliveries on the ICW and also used it delivering boats back from the Bahamas. it can be updated anytime you want to. I generally update it weekly. Two weeks after Hurricane Matthew we were headed south. The Navionics updates were available as soon as the Notice to Mariners were published. Navionics had every buoy on location. It is not perfect, but it is better than Garmin, and better than NOAA ENCs or raster charts.
tadhana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 05:06 AM   #16
Guru
 
Seevee's Avatar
 
City: st pete
Country: usa
Vessel Model: 400 Mainship
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 2,186
Navionics Question:

I just reloaded the Navionics on my iPad and am getting no charting. Tried downloading a few times. Is there something obvious I'm doing wrong?
__________________
Seevee
Seevee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 05:35 AM   #17
Veteran Member
 
Rhinoc's Avatar
 
City: Gold Coast
Country: Australia
Vessel Name: Serenity 2.0
Vessel Model: Mimosa 40
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seevee View Post
Navionics Question:

I just reloaded the Navionics on my iPad and am getting no charting. Tried downloading a few times. Is there something obvious I'm doing wrong?
There should be an area in the options that provides the option to 'restore purchases'. That may rectify things for you.

menu - me - subscription

Ryan
Rhinoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 12:22 PM   #18
Guru
 
Seevee's Avatar
 
City: st pete
Country: usa
Vessel Model: 400 Mainship
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 2,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhinoc View Post
There should be an area in the options that provides the option to 'restore purchases'. That may rectify things for you.

menu - me - subscription

Ryan
Ryan,

Tricky, had to delete the app, restart IPad and download again.... and worked, thx.
__________________
Seevee
Seevee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 06:39 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
TowLou's Avatar
 
City: Flanders, NJ
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Bassey
Vessel Model: 17' Bass
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 187
Can one subscription work on multiple devices?
TowLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 08:26 PM   #20
Veteran Member
 
JimW's Avatar
 
City: Birmingham
Country: Shelby
Vessel Name: CLASSEA
Vessel Model: 1988 Defever 41T
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 97
Have it loaded on 2 iPads, money well spend, as mentioned in other post, does a great job with routing, takes your vessels data (length, width, draft, clearance as well as fuel capacity, consumption and cruise speed) into consideration when routing, identifying potential hazards. If you have the same Apple Account for all devises you can download each for 1 price.

Used the Navionics App more than my Garmin on trip form Miami to Orange Beach!
__________________

JimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012
×