Old 01-09-2016, 11:14 AM   #1
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Navionics; Dock to Dock app

This looks cool, and would be real handy for someone like me (from way out in the boonies with no big city boating experience) if we ever travel south.

Not to be trusted 100% of course, but would be like having a local boating buddy aboard who knows the area well;

Dock-to-dock Autorouting | Navionics

Old 01-09-2016, 12:49 PM   #2
Guru

City: East Greenwich, RI
Vessel Name: Bella
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 34
Yayyyy!!!! I can set it up for where I want to go, then go below and enjoy a quicky, then come up to the helm as I approach the dock. If only it would dock the boat and tie up the lines, shut down the engine and scrub the deck.

Or how about a virtual reality cruise. Drone video spliced together to give the illusion of motoring down the route. And it is safer. You can pause it for your quicky.

David

djmarchand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 04:36 PM   #3
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
I suppose it's like the Garmin Auto Routing (I think that's the name) that works with the G2 Vision cards. You put in your location and destination and it's supposed to figure the route for you.

For me it was a complete bust. There's a narrow land cut on the ICW near me. Boats of all sizes use it but the Garmin application refuses to route me through it. If I set my location at one end of the (few hundred yards) land cut and the destination at the other end, the application takes me back to the harbor, out to sea and back up another river.

I tried making other routes on the ICW but it just stalled. I think there are too many turns.

I remember someone somewhere on a web forum thinking that if they bought a marine GPS they could just put in a friend's address and it would guide them there.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 08:35 PM   #4
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
There are places where GPS would put me aground. Charts aren't always correct. Use autopilot so can spend more effort looking. Always needing to adjust course for kayakers, paddle boarders, boats, ships, and flotsam (floating pilings, boards, trees, and such).

Old 01-09-2016, 08:56 PM   #5
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Sigh...

It ain't an autopilot, just an app that highlights (as in suggests) a path to follow.

I'm used to boating in a remote, unpopulated, mountainous area...just saying this app seems like it would be handy when pulling into an unknown, congested, low lying port city with a million or more inhabitants.
Old 01-10-2016, 12:16 PM   #6

City: Union, WA
Vessel Name: Touch of Grey
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesK View Post
I suppose it's like the Garmin Auto Routing (I think that's the name) that works with the G2 Vision cards. You put in your location and destination and it's supposed to figure the route for you.

For me it was a complete bust. There's a narrow land cut on the ICW near me. Boats of all sizes use it but the Garmin application refuses to route me through it. If I set my location at one end of the (few hundred yards) land cut and the destination at the other end, the application takes me back to the harbor, out to sea and back up another river.

I tried making other routes on the ICW but it just stalled. I think there are too many turns.

I remember someone somewhere on a web forum thinking that if they bought a marine GPS they could just put in a friend's address and it would guide them there.
If Garmin refuses to guide you through, check the settings for acceptable depth, distance from shore, etc.. My auto guidance works very well in dealing with various challenges found in the Salish Sea.
bcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 12:47 PM   #7
Guru

City: Solomons Island Md
Vessel Name: Fryedaze
Vessel Model: MC 42 (Overseas Ltd) Monk 42
Has anyone had a good experience with this new Navionics app? I read a few reviews and based on the reviews I am hesitant to put out the $50.
fryedaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 01:36 PM   #8
Veteran Member

City: Westport
Vessel Name: Osprey Moon
Vessel Model: Mainship 34T
I've used the navionic app for 6 months. On my iPad paired with a Bad Elf...its fantasic. Maps are updated weekly...auto routing works great ( just set your draft).

Just completed Grasonville, md to north palm beach down the icw and each day had it up and running next to garmin plotters.
J105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 01:37 PM   #9
Veteran Member

City: Westport
Vessel Name: Osprey Moon
Vessel Model: Mainship 34T
I've used the navionic app for 6 months. On my iPad paired with a Bad Elf...its fantasic. Maps are updated weekly...auto routing works great ( just set your draft).

Just completed Grasonville, md to north palm beach down the icw and each day had it up and running next to garmin plotters.
J105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 01:39 PM   #10

City: Oriental, NC
Vessel Name: M/V Major Award
Vessel Model: Senator 35 w/single Lehman
Can it serve adult beverages?
bilge53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 12:21 PM   #11
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcam View Post
If Garmin refuses to guide you through, check the settings for acceptable depth, distance from shore, etc.. My auto guidance works very well in dealing with various challenges found in the Salish Sea.
I did that. As close to shore as possible. It didn't help.

The other thing to consider is that there are places where the charts are not accurate. In parts of the AICW north of Charleston, SC, running the boat down the middle of a cut shows you actually on shore on the chart plotter. This is where it becomes obvious that what you actually see with your own eyes is more important than what a chart plotter shows.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 10:18 PM   #12
Veteran Member

City: Boynton Beach, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by J105 View Post

I actually have used the Navionics app for years and love it. It's easy to use, has a ton of cool features, I can pass the iPad around for my guests to follow our location as well (big hit when I have newbies aboard) and the charts are updated daily (though not always daily in the the specific area I'm boating in at the time). Because of it's ease of use, ability to track, chartplot, and lots more I'd say it's so worth the money (obviously since I've been using it for years).
cruiserChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 11:03 PM   #13

City: Birch bay wa
Vessel Name: Rogue
Vessel Model: North Pacific 42
It is worth the fifty bucks! I have 2 E Classic Raymarine plotters networked using a Platinum chart card, which I use, but all routing is done on Ipad with Navionics, just so much easier. I used to have Garmin 4000 series on another boat, and their auto routing was just as easy to use as navionics. Actually would rather have Garmin on current boat, but the Raymarine is working fine. My first trip to Alaska in the 70's, I had a compass, a paddlewheel log, a depth sounder, just the digits , no picture, and paper charts. Also no experience, a new sailboat, never had sailed before. Made it to Juneau fine, with a side trip to Charlottes on way North. It is much easier these days.
Rebel112r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 10:51 PM   #14
Veteran Member

City: Gig Harbor, WA
Vessel Name: Noeta
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 46
Anyone use the app with a new Raymarine chart plotter? c/e97?
Arcticspud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 02:53 PM   #15
Veteran Member

City: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Inspiration
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmarchand View Post
Yayyyy!!!! I can set it up for where I want to go, then go below and enjoy a quicky, then come up to the helm as I approach the dock. If only it would dock the boat and tie up the lines, shut down the engine and scrub the deck.

Or how about a virtual reality cruise. Drone video spliced together to give the illusion of motoring down the route. And it is safer. You can pause it for your quicky.

David
+1
seadogmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 04:27 PM   #16
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmarchand View Post

David
There are simulators. We've used them and they're more realistic than I would have believed.

BandB is offline   Reply With Quote