Navigation Basics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was given one of these Map Wheels by a good friend for measuring distance on paper charts. It's a handy tool for the purpose.

38659.jpg

Does anyone else use something similar? It's easy to get reliant on the electronic charts, but I still like keeping an eye on the paper.

Most towers are very friendly and will run the Rabbit on request .

The Rabbit is the hugely high intensity lamps at the end of the runway , used in low viz conditions. Not usually ON duing VFR.

Even a drunken Russian crew would notice them from miles out.

Folks that wish to actually navigate , not just operate some gadgets might consider BOWDITCH as a first study.

Somewhere I have a mechanical one with a little wheel. Usually find measuring by knuckle and handspan to be sufficient, and sometimes dividers.

Most towers are very friendly and will run the Rabbit on request .

The Rabbit is the hugely high intensity lamps at the end of the runway , used in low viz conditions. Not usually ON duing VFR.

Even a drunken Russian crew would notice them from miles out.

Folks that wish to actually navigate , not just operate some gadgets might consider BOWDITCH as a first study.

Agreed! The 'rabbit' or sequenced flashing lights of the approach light system, acts as a beacon in pointing out the runway in low visibility conditions. It's also a great help in good weather when the eye just can't locate the runway.

Here's a view from the ground:

Approach Light System at Santa Barbara Airport - YouTube

Here's what they look like from the air (at approx 00:30):

Surreal, Cessna Citation Night Landing - YouTube

When I was an Air Traffic Controller at the San Diego Montgomery Tower, we had several pilots veer toward NAS Miramar since our runways were small and hard to see and their runways were a similar layout but much more prominent. I had several 'saves' in redirecting those wayward pilots back to the correct airport by activating the approach lights and providing radar vectors back on course.

Back
Top Bottom