Old 01-11-2013, 02:02 PM   #41
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by marin View Post
but this thing is faster (once you learn how to enter the data it needs) and you can measure along a curve more accurately.
who makes it and where can we find one?

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:12 PM   #42
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
... the guy wanted to know if Carey could show him on his chart where he was. Carey said sure, and the guy got his chart out.

It was a very old, very worn road map of Washington, one of those folding gas station ones. Carey gave him a somewhat tactful talk about charts and why one should have them. The fellow said that's okay, he'd been using this road map for years now but he just wasn't sure where he was at the moment.

So Carey told him and left him to his own devices.
... Lots of candidates out there for the Darwin Award.
Captain Cook would have "killed" to have such a map.

Old 01-11-2013, 02:13 PM   #43
JD
Guru

City: New Bern NC
Vessel Name: Stella Di Mare
Vessel Model: Mainship 34t
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
It's happened way more than once and not just at just Opa Locka...I was stationed there in 1980-1983 when it was either a 727 or 707 landed and was too heavy to take back off so the pax were bused down to Miami Int. That the incident you were referring to?

I once was steered by my ILS system to Miami, Int instead of Opa Locka because the glideslope and course indicator cannon plugs were reversed...fortunately it was visual so we only went a little of the way off course just as traffic control started screaming WTF!!!
Yep that was it. A 727. The news media (for whatever they are worth) said that the pilots were on suspension once the plane landed and were not allowed to fly it out period. They didn't get the plane out until they had a new crew come up to ferry it from MIA.

M/V Stella Di Mare
New Bern NC
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:40 PM   #44
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Sorry...but it's true...HH52A circa 1982. The avionics tech showed me.

After that...at least on HH52A avionics different cannon plugs were used so they couldn't be reversed.

I remember that day as if it were yesterday. The copilot and I were scratching our heads for more than a few minutes.
Then you've discovered a way to make a VHF receiver receive a UHF signal and somehow have it mysteriously guide you to another airport. Sounds like something out of the old Die Hard movies.

I stand by my claim that this is impossible and that a plausible explanation is pilot error. I'd love to hear your explanation for how this could be possible.

There have been rare cases in the past when a localizer was placed in quadrature phasing (sidebands dummy-loaded, radiating carrier signal only) and the localizer will remain centered regardless of your position, as long as you are within the service volume. This is an equipment configuration used by ground maintenance personnel to calibrate and maintain the electronic equipment. The rules state that the identification (morse code) must be turned off before placing a facility in this configuration.

A GS facility overseas was left in this configuration which contributed to an accident years ago. It would not, however guide you to another airport. The course needle would simply remain centered as long as you remained within the localizer service volume.

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:44 PM   #45
Guru

City: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Navigating a menu:

Dang Mark, you clean up nicely.
Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:47 PM   #46
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaHorse II View Post
who makes it and where can we find one?
I bought ours at Captain's Nautical Supplies in Seattle. I lifted the photo from their on-line catalog so they still carry it. The full product name is Scalex Map Wheel Electronic Distance Measurer. The url for the product on the Captain's site is Scalex Map Wheel Electronic Distance Measurer

But I would think you could find the product at a variety of sources.

interesting factoid about Captain's--- they've been in business since 1897. Different people in the store now, though.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:49 PM   #47
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. Rambler. I agree. Mr. Mark looks QUITE extinguished.
Old 01-11-2013, 03:13 PM   #48
Guru

City: Chocowinity NC
Vessel Name: My Yuki
Vessel Model: 1973 Marine Trader 34
Vinny, the "wrong airport" incident you mentioned in FL wasn't the one I recalled, but a quick Google shows this isn't as rare as you might think. The one I remembered was in the Dakotas.
Wrong Way Landings By Commercial Airliners
ARoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:25 PM   #49
Scraping Paint

Some years ago Aeroflot had a daily (I think) flight to Seattle-Tacoma. Don't know if they still do, but the fight came in after dark.

On one particular flight the crew made an ILS approach (so they said) to Highway 99, the busy four-lane road which is the main drag through the airport area and runs parallel to but a mile or more to the east of the runways at Seatac. Realizing their mistake they went around..... and did it again.

Third time's a charm and they got it on the ground on the correct stretch of pavement. As I recall, significant drinking on the flight deck was the root cause of the error. The ILS itself was fine.
Old 01-11-2013, 03:31 PM   #50
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. Rambler. I agree. Mr. Mark looks QUITE extinguished.
Extinguished carries so many connotations. Don't you think?
Old 01-11-2013, 03:37 PM   #51
Guru

Back in my military days I was a Site Development Spec and did drafting, among other sordid activities, which let to having access to a state of the art "map wheel" for plan measuring. Not unlike these here:

So what you got there Marin is a more high tech version of the same thing. I'm surprised that it's still wheel driven and not lazer guided or some other method of measuring.
Old 01-11-2013, 03:53 PM   #52
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
I'm surprised that it's still wheel driven and not lazer guided or some other method of measuring.
I don't know how a laser would work in this case. It would probably be a lot more expensive if nothing else.

The little tip wheel in the device we have is perforated or dimpled so as it rolls a sensor in the end of the instrument simply counts the perforations/dimples as they go by. How a laser would calculate distance on a chart just by passing the beam across its surface I don't know.
Old 01-11-2013, 04:53 PM   #53
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
American Airlines (I believe that is the right carrier, apologies to American if I'm wrong) landed on the west taxiway at SeaTac thinking it was a runway, long before the new west runway was commissioned. When the new runway was under construction, prominent notices were published in the approach book to alert pilots to the risk of landing on the closed pavement.

I had the privilege to commission the new radar on the west side of the SEA airport and be the first pilot to put landing wheel marks on each end of the west runway while I commissioned the 2 ILSs there. Got to do the same in Salt Lake City when their new west runway and ILSs were commissioned by me.

The pressure to land on centerline is pretty high when you're the first one doing it and can't deny the evidence left behind!! The SEA landings were on celterline each end, I was off about a foot or 2 on one SLC landing. Close, but no cigar!

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:55 PM   #54
Guru

If you guys think you can navigate, try running a Predicted Log contest. We (my wife pilots the boat) ran a 13 nm race in July and took first place with a total net error of seventeen seconds. I use both computer and paper to plot the race. If both results don't jibe I've made a mistake somewhere.
ancora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:44 PM   #55
Guru

City: Chocowinity NC
Vessel Name: My Yuki
Vessel Model: 1973 Marine Trader 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
I don't know how a laser would work in this case. It would probably be a lot more expensive if nothing else.

The little tip wheel in the device we have is perforated or dimpled so as it rolls a sensor in the end of the instrument simply counts the perforations/dimples as they go by. How a laser would calculate distance on a chart just by passing the beam across its surface I don't know.
I don't know if such an animal exists, but since my mouse has a laser that seems to track linearly (?) across my mouse pad, I'd guess some techie could figure out how to make a similar device that'd calibrate to the scale of any chart, and measure accordingly.
ARoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:26 PM   #56
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Map wheels are also known as plan wheels and often used in construction while doing "take offs" from plans for the purpose of estimating a job. They are pretty accurate devices both digital and analog. CAD technology has taken a lot of the fun and tedium out of estimating.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:09 PM   #57
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by ancora View Post
If you guys think you can navigate, try running a Predicted Log contest. We (my wife pilots the boat) ran a 13 nm race in July and took first place with a total net error of seventeen seconds. I use both computer and paper to plot the race. If both results don't jibe I've made a mistake somewhere.
I was an observer on Bremerton Heavy Weather Race a few times (pre electronic navigation). Thought about setting one up for our yacht club.
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:16 PM   #58

City: Gulf Shores, Alabama
Vessel Name: Holly Day
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 44
You friggin' guys are bloody great! Thanks for the responses brothers. I think the point has been made. We all need to make sure we can find out where we are when the magic black boxes quit. Good on you all! Thanks again amigos!
Captain K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 01:05 AM   #59
TF Site Team

City: San Mateo, CA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl II
Vessel Model: PT 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
Map wheels are also known as plan wheels and often used in construction while doing "take offs" from plans for the purpose of estimating a job. They are pretty accurate devices both digital and analog. CAD technology has taken a lot of the fun and tedium out of estimating.
Matt borrowed a digital one from his work and we couldn't figure out how to program it to the scale! Maybe if we'd had instructions it would have helped! :whistle: seems like a pretty handy tool.
www.pineapple-girl.blogspot.com
Pineapple Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 01:11 AM   #60
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineapple Girl View Post
Matt borrowed a digital one from his work and we couldn't figure out how to program it to the scale! Maybe if we'd had instructions it would have helped! :whistle: seems like a pretty handy tool.
If it's the same kind we have, yes, you need the instructions to learn how to enter the data it needs. It's not particularly intuitive. We don't use ours that often so every time we do we have to refer to the instructions. If one used it on a regular basis they'd learn it easy enough.