Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-08-2014, 02:03 AM   #1
Member
 
City: Westport, WA
Country: USA
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 19
Navigating Help Needed

I know this is a odd topic but was wondering if anyone has made a trip from Long Beach CA to Florence OR in November or anywhere above or below in November? Will be with a 38 Foot Californian with twin engines. Is this a doable feat? Have done cruises in the summer but not in early November.

Any suggestions on places to hide if storms came up or best route if I wanted to marina hop (for safety given the time of year)?

Does anyone have a better way to get wave heights over seconds apart and wind wave predictions in areas they are cruising other than Internet NOAA info? As I know I won't have internet most of the time.

Any other suggestions on making this as safe as possible or any must haves? Other than not doing it?

If someone wanted to talk via phone about this to offer advise it would be welcomed or a simple reply would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks,

Dan
__________________
Advertisement

Drzasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 12:57 PM   #2
Member
 
City: Westport, WA
Country: USA
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 19
Anyone?
__________________

Drzasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 01:03 PM   #3
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 13,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drzasa View Post
I know this is a odd topic but was wondering if anyone has made a trip from Long Beach CA to Florence OR in November or anywhere above or below in November? Will be with a 38 Foot Californian with twin engines. Is this a doable feat? Have done cruises in the summer but not in early November.

Any suggestions on places to hide if storms came up or best route if I wanted to marina hop (for safety given the time of year)?

Does anyone have a better way to get wave heights over seconds apart and wind wave predictions in areas they are cruising other than Internet NOAA info? As I know I won't have internet most of the time.

Any other suggestions on making this as safe as possible or any must haves? Other than not doing it?

If someone wanted to talk via phone about this to offer advise it would be welcomed or a simple reply would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks,

Dan
There are many good weather services. What equipment do you have on the boat? What kind of charting software?
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 01:07 PM   #4
Member
 
City: Westport, WA
Country: USA
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 19
old stuff at the moment and getting a complete new package installed ASAP just need to find out what the best options are. Thinking about a Simrad network system with AP, Plotter, Radar, and fish Finder etc. but not a easy call and its a expensive mistake if I make the wrong choice.
Drzasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 01:20 PM   #5
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 13,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drzasa View Post
old stuff at the moment and getting a complete new package installed ASAP just need to find out what the best options are. Thinking about a Simrad network system with AP, Plotter, Radar, and fish Finder etc. but not a easy call and its a expensive mistake if I make the wrong choice.
Everyone has their preferences. I've only used Furuno and Transas. I don't think you need the functionality of Transas so just a good system as you describe. If you want more, sonar and night vision can both be nice but most don't go that far. Then there are many good weather services just based on what you want to spend.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 01:27 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
City: Bohemia
Country: USA
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 140
Check out Garmin and Raymarine. They both (like many others) have stuff that is all compatible. Radar, chart plotter, depth, sonar, auto pilot plus engine data can also be set up to go to the screen. Now everyone has 15" screens as well! They do cost, but hey it's a boat! You can even have XM weather super imposed on the radar screen! I would say pick your weather and have good navigation and go and enjoy the journey.
chester613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 01:27 PM   #7
Member
 
City: Westport, WA
Country: USA
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 19
If anyone has suggestions on this I would be great full, I like to fish so a good sonar is a must.

Like is said need A smart AP, decent plotter, radar and a good fish finder. like furno as well but it douple what everyone else is.
Drzasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 03:43 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
jungpeter's Avatar
 
City: Everett
Country: US
Vessel Name: SPIRIT BEAR
Vessel Model: PACIFIC TRAWLER 40
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 131
Hi Drzasa,

Running that particular route between September and March is a crapshoot at best, and a significant risk at worst. And I don't care how well found and equipped your boat is, nor who your weather router is, nor whatever whiz-bang electronics you might have aboard. Frontal systems originating in the Arctic move down the coast routinely during these months, often with little or no respite between them. And they can bring NASTY weather for pleasure boaters. Being caught offshore at the wrong time of day, at the wrong state of tide, and being forced to take refuge in a doghole is a recipe for a very bad day.

If you persist in making this trip during this time of year, your best weather routers and forecasters are found on the docks amongst the commercial fishermen that work out of those dogholes along the way. If the fishing fleets are inbound, "run, Forest, run" and follow them in. If they are on the docks the day you want to leave, find out why, and stay put if they do.

Marina hopping up the coast in the winter is not for the faint of heart, as they are a long ways apart north of Santa Barbara, and require significant diligence regarding time of departure and arrival at the next one. Given the short daylight hours in the winter, and the high probability of getting slammed somewhere along the way, in my opinion, WAIT until spring to make the trip. That opinion is more strongly emphasized if you are a working man, on a schedule. Alert! Alert! Danger, danger!!!!

Having made that self-same trip multiple times, in my own and other capable cruising powerboats, I currently have a standing invitation from a friend here in Everett to make the trip southbound to San Diego. My answer is OK, but not 'till April.

Regards,

Pete
jungpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 03:57 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
City: Bohemia
Country: USA
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 140
WOW! I would listen to Pete!!
chester613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 05:01 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
City: Seattle
Country: United States
Vessel Name: Poach
Vessel Model: Sabreline Trawler
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 219
You might check your insurance policy if you haven't already. Some limit coverage during that period.
Poach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 05:16 PM   #11
TF Site Team
 
Pau Hana's Avatar


 
City: Seattle, WA
Country: Good Ol' US of A!
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungpeter View Post
Hi Drzasa,

Running that particular route between September and March is a crapshoot at best, and a significant risk at worst. And I don't care how well found and equipped your boat is, nor who your weather router is, nor whatever whiz-bang electronics you might have aboard. Frontal systems originating in the Arctic move down the coast routinely during these months, often with little or no respite between them. And they can bring NASTY weather for pleasure boaters. Being caught offshore at the wrong time of day, at the wrong state of tide, and being forced to take refuge in a doghole is a recipe for a very bad day.

If you persist in making this trip during this time of year, your best weather routers and forecasters are found on the docks amongst the commercial fishermen that work out of those dogholes along the way. If the fishing fleets are inbound, "run, Forest, run" and follow them in. If they are on the docks the day you want to leave, find out why, and stay put if they do.

Marina hopping up the coast in the winter is not for the faint of heart, as they are a long ways apart north of Santa Barbara, and require significant diligence regarding time of departure and arrival at the next one. Given the short daylight hours in the winter, and the high probability of getting slammed somewhere along the way, in my opinion, WAIT until spring to make the trip. That opinion is more strongly emphasized if you are a working man, on a schedule. Alert! Alert! Danger, danger!!!!

Having made that self-same trip multiple times, in my own and other capable cruising powerboats, I currently have a standing invitation from a friend here in Everett to make the trip southbound to San Diego. My answer is OK, but not 'till April.

Regards,

Pete
Pete, I just has a long conversation with the OP regarding this very subject (as well as electronics and insurance). Excellent advice.
__________________
Peter- Marine Insurance Guru & tuna fishing addict!

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 06:58 PM   #12
Guru
 
caltexflanc's Avatar
 
City: North Carolina for now
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 3,792
Having made the trip a couple of times each way in sailboats and in pieces on various powerboats, but never in November, I can second Pete's summary. Just trying to get around Point Conception in bad periods can mean many days waiting for weather, hiding in Santa barbara or literally roughing it anchored in Cojo off Government point (bring your surf board, great break in there!).

Marinas and harbors (such as Avila Beach aka Port San Luis) if you want to call them that are few and far between, and in poor conditions even the protected harbors like Morro Bay can be a real challenge to enter. Then there are very few places to duck into if things suddenly turn and until Monterey none very pleasant in poor conditions, San Simeon being the best, but a pure anchorage only. So you really need to be very picky about the weather; can it be great that time of year? Absolutely. I have visited and fished the area year around in tee shirt weather. But like they say, when it's bad....

NOAA radio, if you don't have the internet, is really the best weather and sea condition source and available along the whole coast. For local knowledge around particular harbors, the harbormasters are helpful as is the CG.
__________________
George

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 07:04 PM   #13
Guru
 
N4712's Avatar
 
City: South FL
Country: U.S.A
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 3,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drzasa View Post
old stuff at the moment and getting a complete new package installed ASAP just need to find out what the best options are. Thinking about a Simrad network system with AP, Plotter, Radar, and fish Finder etc. but not a easy call and its a expensive mistake if I make the wrong choice.
I would take a good look at Garmin, Furuno, Or a good PC based system (I.E. Coastal Explorer, Nobletec, MaxSea).
__________________
Thanks, Oliver
M/V Oliver
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 08:13 PM   #14
Guru
 
caltexflanc's Avatar
 
City: North Carolina for now
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 3,792
You're not going to make a big mistake with any of the major brands. See if you can get hands on demos and pick the one with interface you like. Short of that download the manuals and see which one is the easiest understand and figure out.
__________________
George

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 08:22 AM   #15
Guru
 
Capt.Bill11's Avatar
 
City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 5,422
Get a SAT phone and install either OCENS or Clearpoint on your computer for weather.

https://www.clearpointweather.com

WeatherNet 4
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 08:27 AM   #16
Guru
 
City: Tuckerton, NJ
Country: USA
Vessel Name: WIRELESS ONE
Vessel Model: 36 Gulstar MarkII
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 937
I'm a Garmin fan however Capt BillII has made a good suggestion when it comes to running in areas where cellular or WiFi is far and between. I'm not familiar with SIRIUS weather coverage for the area you want to cruise in. It's pretty darn good on the East Coast. I'm not sure about where you intend to use the boat.
Bill
__________________

Billylll is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012